Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
how many of you are using the Behmor at the specified weight
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > how many of you...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
benvh
benvh
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Professional
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5, Bodum Santos,...
Drip: Beehouse drippers, Meloir...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri May 23, 2008, 1:14pm
Subject: Re: how many of you are using the Behmor at the specified weight

I've done 10 roasts now and 9 of them have been 8oz of beans on the P1, B, (++), 1/2# settings. I used the 1# setting one time because one of the bean types (I forget which one without having my notes handy) didn't reach 2nd crack on my first try. On the second try I used the 1# setting and all was well. I usually start at 122-123 volts with no load and don't usually drop below 120 which may make a difference. I usually take the roast to second crack or just before and stop. With this approach I never have more than a minute left on the timer. I can see where less voltage could give you problems. I guess that's why I'm trying to take as many notes as possible and I'm not super concerned if a roast doesn't come out perfectly. Even if the beans aren't that great I get some good data to add to the log and can learn more about roasting and this roaster in particular. It's been a blast so far.
 View Profile Link to this post
DigMe

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mazzer Mini,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso ST600, Presto...
Roaster: Behmor, SC/CO, Poppery I,...
Posted Fri May 23, 2008, 1:42pm

brewer3401 Said:

Maybe I have higher current at night, due to lower demand ???

Posted May 23, 2008 link

I get better voltage in the afternoon because they crank it up to meet the higher demand.  

brad

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch
Zaphod
Zaphod
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Lever
Grinder: Rocky
Drip: Simple plastic cone
Roaster: Soon!
Posted Sun May 25, 2008, 9:17pm

I always go below the full 1 pound in volume and hit the one pound button then bring it to 20 minutes. That way it's easy to remember where I am. I'd like it to count *up* but I can do the math easily enough. I don't know what my old house's voltage is but it seems a bit weak as the smokeless feature isn't terribly effective. I assume it's a function of my low voltage. In any case, I like to use bean volume as my roast profile mechanism always using full p1. I drop the volume (weight) to increase roast velocity.

I have not done this yet but plan on going to a very small roast, like 6 oz and then tuning the roast by opening the door when I want to moderate the speed. These would be outdoor roasts as chaff & smoke would blow all around.

If I had the time and inclination, I'd hack the machine so it has all the things it does as toggles although I have no idea how to do about this. It would be quite cool to be able to manually control the heating element and fan controls. I'd add a thermocouple and have all the control I need. With all manual I surely could set the machine on fire quite handily so I completely understand why it was designed as it was but I could go for the mods I mentioned.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
paslug

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon May 26, 2008, 5:27am

jghoo Said:

On occasion I can just get to second other times not. I have 118 volts no load 117 under load.  Perhaps I should consider pre heating the beans in the range to 100 or something.
any thoughts?

Posted May 23, 2008 link

I don't think you said what profile you're using. I've only done a couple of 1# roasts, but at 120v (variac), I had no trouble reaching 2c with 16oz of beans on 1#P2 setting. (20min 25sec).

I mostly roast 8oz because I'm the only coffee drinker in the house. My Behmor timing on P1 and P2 is very accurate at the default settings. I did have trouble initially when I was using a drop cord. I thought I had high enough voltage, but when the roaster kicked into the high wattage use, it dropped below 115V.

Actually, the nameplate rating on the Behmor is 120V. The manual says the times are rated on 116V. If you have a constant 117 to 118 volts and can't reach 2C on P1 or P2, you should give Joe a call. You may have a problem with your roaster.

From what I've read from other posters, the P4 & P5 settings are too gentle to reach 2c with the harder beans. (by design I believe).

Definitely, there is a learning curve, but from your posts, I suspect your voltage is dropping too low.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > how many of you...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.263701915741)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+