Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
how many of you are using the Behmor at the specified weight
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > how many of you...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
jghoo
jghoo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: PIDed Reneka Viva I
Grinder: Faema S6
Drip: Presto Scandinavian
Roaster: I-roast 2, Behmor
Posted Fri May 23, 2008, 7:08am
Subject: how many of you are using the Behmor at the specified weight

I am curious how many of you put 1/4, 1/2 or 1lb of beans in set the behmor for appropriate weight and are then able to get into second crack.
On occasion I can just get to second other times not. I have 118 volts no load 117 under load.  Perhaps I should consider pre heating the beans in the range to 100 or something.
any thoughts?
 View Profile Link to this post
DigMe

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mazzer Mini,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso ST600, Presto...
Roaster: Behmor, SC/CO, Poppery I,...
Posted Fri May 23, 2008, 8:21am
Subject: Re: how many of you are using the Behmor at the specified weight

jghoo Said:

I am curious how many of you put 1/4, 1/2 or 1lb of beans in set the behmor for appropriate weight and are then able to get into second crack.
On occasion I can just get to second other times not. I have 118 volts no load 117 under load.  Perhaps I should consider pre heating the beans in the range to 100 or something.
any thoughts?

Posted May 23, 2008 link

I always use 1lb no matter what my load.

I wish I had your voltage consistency.  I start out at anywhere from 118 to 123 (depending on time of day) and usually get a 4+ volt drop under full load.  I need a variac.

brad

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch
Marshall_S

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Anita, Caravel
Grinder: Preciso,Pharos, Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest M3
Posted Fri May 23, 2008, 8:49am

I have the same experience.

For this reason, I usually roast 6 oz. on the 1/2 lb. setting.  If not, you may not get enough roast time.

If you want to go to a larger roast, just use the 1 lb. setting and load in no more than 14 oz.

I would imagine that pre heating the beans is not a good idea and it's unnecessary if you do it this way.
wideasleep1
wideasleep1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBMDoubleDomo
Grinder: Mahlkoenig K30 Vario
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: Bodum Press
Roaster: IR1 and 2,SC/TO,Behmor
Posted Fri May 23, 2008, 9:19am

Nor me. Due to voltage issues, I always undercharge, and use the 1# setting for everything. Sometimes I dip to 109 during the 100% segments of the ramp curve, but still have no trouble getting to 2C at finish, having added a few extra +++ as needed. I don't think there is a 'set-it/forget it' profile to get consistency anymore, and I man the cool button and kill as appropriate, just like a pro roaster would. I'm still only comfortable with P1 and P2, depending on my origin, as a result of my voltage issues..I just don't think a subtle ramp change will actually be played out properly when voltage is so far off. Regardless, the roasts produced by bimmer are outstanding.
mbrowne999
mbrowne999

Posted Fri May 23, 2008, 10:17am

jghoo Said:

any thoughts?

Posted May 23, 2008 link

The Behmor's weight settings are only to limit max time of the roast, and were apparently decided more for "safety" reasons than roasting reasons.  Don't feel limited by them.
jghoo
jghoo

Posted Fri May 23, 2008, 10:20am

"The Behmor's weight settings are only to limit max time of the roast, and were apparently decided more for "safety" reasons than roasting reasons.  Don't feel limited by them."

Well then lets put it this way. Is anyone roasting 1lb at a time?
brewer3401
brewer3401
Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Mini Mazzer - doser
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri May 23, 2008, 10:46am

I use 454 grams always.

I am thinking of doing 400-425 gm because this new bean (Guat - Coban) doesn't go to 2nd crack as fast as Nic Matagalpa.

Also, I think I noticed that roasting at night goes to 2c faster than in the day.

Maybe I have higher current at night, due to lower demand ???
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696, Zass
Drip: Aeropress, Brazen
Roaster: Behmor, TO/SC, Poppery I
Posted Fri May 23, 2008, 11:04am
Subject: Re:  How many of you are using the Behmor at the specified weight

brewer3401 Said:

I use 454 grams always.
I am thinking of doing 400-425 gm because this new bean (Guat - Coban) doesn't go to 2nd crack as fast as Nic Matagalpa.
Also, I think I noticed that roasting at night goes to 2c faster than in the day.
Maybe I have higher current at night, due to lower demand ???

Posted May 23, 2008 link

Yeah, "voltage irregularities" is the current thinking, so to speak.  You have a great voltage grid, so enjoy the 1# loads.  

Many of us have to downsize the loads a bit.  But since I don't use more than 1/2# per week, roasting with 1/2# on (P2) (1#) seems to be a great combination for my needs.  Or (P5) for Kona, or (P4) for blends, etc.  

Are there any roasters which are "set it and forget it?"  For the home I doubt it.  Too many risks with toddlers, pets, inattention, etc.

LMWDP # 010
brewer3401
brewer3401
Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Mini Mazzer - doser
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri May 23, 2008, 11:09am

Set and forget.........kind of.

I set a timer for 15 minutes when I start the roast.

I also max out my time on the Behmor.

Timer goes off, I go outside and sit waiting for 1 and 2c.
jghoo
jghoo

Posted Fri May 23, 2008, 12:19pm

to my knowledge the Behmor is rated at 115 volts, correct. Most people have 115v. I get the impression most people are downsizing the batch. To be honest I am having issues with the weight rating on this machine. Most everyone undersizes their load. I cant say how many times I've had to throw out beans because they dont reach 2nd crack. Why do I need to underload. I have the rated voltage. The beans are at room temp. The issue is not that i can put in 1/2lb and set for 1lb. The machine profiles are based on the designated weight, correct? How is this machine supposed to be for the masses if you cant even use the presets. I think these are honest questions. I think for the most part we have been so busy slobbering all over this machine we wont even admit it may not work as marketed. Joe is a really great guy and has sent out replacements. I waited nearly 6 mo to even mention what I have felt for a long time.
Yes it does roast coffee well. will it do it consistently the way the manual and control panel are set up, no.

It is not my intention to start a major issue here. I was made aware of the machine here and thus feel some right to state my thoughts about it here.

Thanks for the opportunity
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > how many of you...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.323714017868)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+