Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Turbo oven tops
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Turbo oven tops  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
scubadoo97
scubadoo97
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Solis SL70
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: got one of those too
Drip: Aeropress, Clarity, FP,...
Roaster: SC/TO
Posted Sun May 18, 2008, 6:18am
Subject: Turbo oven tops

My Sunpentown finally gave out after 3 years.  I was set on getting a Behmor but after really fine tuning my SC/TO system and seeing that I really don't gain much for the extra cash for the Behmor I'm ready to replace my TO.  I thought I had read some posts about buying just the tops but can't find it in the search.  Are there sites/places out there that sell just tops?
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun May 18, 2008, 7:42am
Subject: Re: Turbo oven tops

scubadoo97 Said:

My Sunpentown finally gave out after 3 years.  I was set on getting a Behmor but after really fine tuning my SC/TO system and seeing that I really don't gain much for the extra cash for the Behmor I'm ready to replace my TO.  I thought I had read some posts about buying just the tops but can't find it in the search.  Are there sites/places out there that sell just tops?

Posted May 18, 2008 link

You may find some on eBay (whole units).  The Galloping Gourmet ones are a dime a dozen.  I am not experienced in using them for roasters, so you may want to get some input on whether the Galloping models are good for that.

Len
CoffeeRoastersClub.com

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DigMe

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mazzer Mini,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso ST600, Presto...
Roaster: Behmor, SC/CO, Poppery I,...
Posted Sun May 18, 2008, 7:48am

Just a thought - I made the switch from SC/CO to Behmor.  It was hard to do because I felt that I'd really gotten good at roasting with the SC/CO.  I got the Behmor and had some bad roasts at first (which has happened when learning all of the roasters that I've used) but now that I've got it down I'm really digging it.  The thing that I gained over the SC/CO was the ability to start the machine and then go do something else and let it go for 8 or 9 minutes.  Then when I come back to hear first crack I don't have to fiddle with it.  I just listen for first crack and listen and smell from there.  I no longer have to sit over the machine with my thermoprobe watching the temperature and constantly fiddling to try and hold the temp in place, etc...  I also don't have to drag all the pieces of the SC/CO and my thermoprobe out and set them up and then pack it back up each time.   So basically the Behmor is able to fit better into my busy life without sacrificing the quality in the cup.  I feel like it also does light roasts better than the SC/CO did.  

brad

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch
farmroast
farmroast
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Sun May 18, 2008, 8:24am

The Galloping gourmet tops are the best. There are different wattages on them so look for the ones that are 1440 or 1470watts, some are only 1200watts. ebay has them and sometimes you can just get the top or email that possibility or just ship the top to save on shipping unless you have a use for the glass bowl. Sunpentown does have replacement on there site but they are all lower wattage and cheaper made than the GGs.
sunpentown parts

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
Jeff_K
Jeff_K

Espresso: LaCimbali Junior D/1,...
Grinder: LaCimbali Junior, Rio...
Drip: Presto Scandinavian, Bodum...
Roaster: Hottop KN8828, Kitchen...
Posted Sun May 18, 2008, 1:53pm

You could try posting in the buy/sell/trade area as something you want, but that's if you'd be willing to buy a used one (more likely to be used than new).  Maybe if someone is upgrading they'd be willing to sell their setup as separate parts.
scubadoo97
scubadoo97

Espresso: Solis SL70
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: got one of those too
Drip: Aeropress, Clarity, FP,...
Roaster: SC/TO
Posted Sun May 18, 2008, 2:43pm

farmroast Said:

The Galloping gourmet tops are the best. There are different wattages on them so look for the ones that are 1440 or 1470watts, some are only 1200watts. ebay has them and sometimes you can just get the top or email that possibility or just ship the top to save on shipping unless you have a use for the glass bowl. Sunpentown does have replacement on there site but they are all lower wattage and cheaper made than the GGs.
sunpentown parts

Posted May 18, 2008 link

The sunpentown was hot enough for my tropical climate.  I could hit first crack quickly if I didn't allow a period of slow warming to bring the beans up to temp evenly.  Ebay has good prices but high shipping so the link above was perfect.  A top for $58 shipped.  Thanks!

Just a thought - I made the switch from SC/CO to Behmor.  It was hard to do because I felt that I'd really gotten good at roasting with the SC/CO.  I got the Behmor and had some bad roasts at first (which has happened when learning all of the roasters that I've used) but now that I've got it down I'm really digging it.  The thing that I gained over the SC/CO was the ability to start the machine and then go do something else and let it go for 8 or 9 minutes.  Then when I come back to hear first crack I don't have to fiddle with it.  I just listen for first crack and listen and smell from there.  I no longer have to sit over the machine with my thermoprobe watching the temperature and constantly fiddling to try and hold the temp in place, etc...  I also don't have to drag all the pieces of the SC/CO and my thermoprobe out and set them up and then pack it back up each time.   So basically the Behmor is able to fit better into my busy life without sacrificing the quality in the cup.  I feel like it also does light roasts better than the SC/CO did.

Thanks Brad.  I have my SC/CO set up in our pool house where I can leisurely do my roasting.  I finally got it set up where I have a chafe catcher on my roaster and cooling station and it's an easy dump into my cooling station for cooling and final cleaning of chafe so there is little if any mess.   I don't have to do anything before roasting except warm up and decide which beans to roast, then sit back and enjoy a drink and cigar while roasting a couple of batches.  The only reason to go Behmor is if the roast was truly superior.
technoweasel

Espresso: Ascaso Dream
Grinder: Capresso Infinity, Rossi...
Vac Pot: Collector
Drip: Cuisinart DC-1200, Chemex
Roaster: SC/CO, Caffe Rosto, Poppery2
Posted Sun May 18, 2008, 8:09pm

FWIW My 1250 watt Galloping Gourmet top can easily heat the air temp to over 500 deg.  I got distracted once and it was at 510 and still climbing, and that was with a modified WOZ chaff ejector that lets heat out.

I keep thinking about adding this temp controller/ timer to it.
Click Here (cgi.ebay.com)
(I've seen them go cheaper).

I could set ramp times and temp intervals just like a Behmor.
Smells_Familiar
Smells_Familiar

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: french press
Roaster: CO w/homemade base,...
Posted Sun May 18, 2008, 10:54pm

Scubadoo97, I know this is off topic but, if you still have the oven top would you consider taking the top apart to see whether you have the same off white crystals forming inside?  I just took mine apart and I've got off white fuzz just about everywhere.  I took mine apart using a phillips head screwdriver, a 5/16 inch crecent wrench, a 6mm crecent wrench, and a pair of pliers.  

Maybe it's caffeine in the air crystalizing in the roaster?  It sure looks strange though.  

Click on the last picture I posted in this thread to see what the off white stuff looks like.
JR
JR

Espresso: New but inop Quickmill...
Grinder: Baratza Forté, Cunill...
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Mon May 19, 2008, 8:21pm

technoweasel Said:

FWIW My 1250 watt Galloping Gourmet top can easily heat the air temp to over 500 deg...

Posted May 18, 2008 link

Mine takes forever to get there.  My roasts go about 22 minutes to the first hints of the 2nd crack.  But I think the type and height of spacer you use makes all the difference.  Mine is cut from a 12"-10" duct reducer, and is about 3" high.  I believe this leaves too much air volume inside.  I plan to trim it down further when I have time.

Jack

JR: GG-UFO.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon May 19, 2008, 8:53pm

farmroast Said:

sunpentown parts

Posted May 18, 2008 link

Totally agree. I loaned mine out to a friend, and use a Betty crocker. Not bad, but not as powerful as the GG.
Folks have caught on, though. I've seen them go as high as $79 used!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Turbo oven tops  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.377679109573)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+