Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Toper 1 Kilo Roaster: Looking for Comments
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Toper 1 Kilo...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jworlledge

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Sep 17, 2009, 1:42pm
Subject: Re: Toper 1 Kilo Roaster: Looking for Comments

Breeze Said:

Thanks Brent, I have not pulled the trigger yet but soon come!   On the support issue, I have none, nada, where I am which is around 600 miles N. of Caracas Venezuela or 1200 miles SE of Miami.   Your comment re: Topers cos they work is kind of what I was looking for, in terms of reassurance and the generic bits goes further in that direction.  DavecUK's comments relative to electric elements gave me pause but I understand what he was doing when he went through a bag full.  Here I have propane even when I don't have anything but self generated electricity, which is insufficient to power a 3kg roaster.  

I suppose having been burned with Chinese junk (not the seagoing vessel) so many times in the past several years I'm paranoid about some things.  The fact is, when I get a clear head, that some products, especially from a place like Turkey, are robust and probably better suited to a location like mine where one runs around with a can of WD40 in one hand and a Cuban Socket Set in the other (Adjustable Wrench).    

Thanks for the reply.   I've requested an inland freight quote from Delaware Coffee so I'm closer than ever to a buy!

Posted April 21, 2008 link

SO what did you decided and what kind of feedback can you give us???
 View Profile Link to this post
DavidN

Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013, 2:38pm

Hello Dave,
Just happened upon your comment now. Guess what? I'm the other David, the one who bought the Toper Roaster you no longer needed, along with your Rossi Coffee Grinder back in 2009.
I kept those 2 machines in my textile factory until June this year when I finally found amazing premises, took the plunge and set up shop ROASTING, GRINDING and BREWING!! And it's still that element you put in. The Roaster is brilliant: it just, erm... works!!
Boy, am I happy now, especially given the feedback from delighted Coffee Lovers from Leeds and surrounding areas. Check out @casa_colombiana.co.uk to see for yourself!
Are you still into coffee? Or is it a case of "been there, done that"??
It'd be good to hear from you.
Regards
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013, 8:13pm

DavidN Said:

Hello Dave,
Just happened upon your comment now. Guess what? I'm the other David, the one who bought the Toper Roaster you no longer needed, along with your Rossi Coffee Grinder back in 2009.
I kept those 2 machines in my textile factory until June this year when I finally found amazing premises, took the plunge and set up shop ROASTING, GRINDING and BREWING!! And it's still that element you put in. The Roaster is brilliant: it just, erm... works!!
Boy, am I happy now, especially given the feedback from delighted Coffee Lovers from Leeds and surrounding areas. Check out @casa_colombiana.co.uk to see for yourself!
Are you still into coffee? Or is it a case of "been there, done that"??
It'd be good to hear from you.
Regards

Posted December 12, 2013 link

Glad the roaster is still working well for you and they cost a lot more money now and the Rossi is ideal in a shop envionment!  It's great that you've got into the speciality coffee business, I hope it's successful for you. I also think I gave you a few spare elements as well, so you should be sorted for many years to come.

I am still into my coffee and still do some consulting, although I pick and choose a bit. I like to look at coffee stuff that's interesting, not necessarily expensive, but it usually is. I am in fact reviewing another roaster the 1Kg Gene Cafe CBR-1200. Very different type of roaster to the Toper, but quite advanced and also produces a very good roast indeed. I will keep this one (because it's not CE approved yet), but the ones coming into the UK will be CE approved of course. It suits me better, because I am not really roasting commercially and it has a very fast warm up time of just a few minutes rather than the usual 15-20m. Cooling is also good with 1kg of coffee cooled down in just under 2m. So I can nip out and roast 2 Kg in just over 30m, I know it's overkill for just one person, but it is a very good roaster, plus it's small and lightweight.

Do you source your coffee from one of the major suppliers now?
DavidN

Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013, 12:28pm

Don't know if you remember but we have our own coffee plantation in Southern Colombia. That certainly helps. In addition we will buy in Green Coffee from 1 or 2 major merchants.
We're keeping things very simple: 1 Roast, 1 Grind. Funnily enough people are loving that approach since the only decision to make is to buy or not to buy, rather than which coffee to choose!!! They keep posting on Facebook and Twitter that ours is the best Coffee in Leeds, "smoothest",  "amazing", etc...
Other restaurants and coffee houses are now taking an interest and we've begun to supply Beans to a few. I want to build on this. Any ideas on next level (quantity wise) Roasters? 10, 15 Kgs?
Also the new 1 Kg Roaster you're testing: would you recommend it? I'm planning to acquire more 1 Kg Roasters for each new shop we open.
DavecUK

Posted Sat Dec 14, 2013, 7:43pm

DavidN Said:

Other restaurants and coffee houses are now taking an interest and we've begun to supply Beans to a few. I want to build on this. Any ideas on next level (quantity wise) Roasters? 10, 15 Kgs?
Also the new 1 Kg Roaster you're testing: would you recommend it? I'm planning to acquire more 1 Kg Roasters for each new shop we open.

Posted December 13, 2013 link

For a shop and if its on display working, it would look really good.  Customers don't really get much of a buzz from seeing a metal box that makes a noise and spits out roasted beans, but the CBR-1200 had a glass roasting chamber so they can see everything and it looks very nice in red. Yeah definitely recommend it.

If your going to buy another roaster, I would move to something which can roast all the coffee you supply in a week in 2 days of roasting. This would be your projected supply, not current. So in a year or 2 , if you think your going to be supplying 500kg per week then you need a 15kg roaster. You base that on about 7 hours roasting per day and 3 batches per hour (630kg - 20%=approx 510kg). This way if some weeks you need double the amount, or get new business, you can simply roast 1 or 2 extra days. If things slow down, you don't have a 30kg roaster, that's too large.

ideally get a gas Probat roaster...very expensive, but good.
Breeze
Breeze
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Pasquini Livia S
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/Rocky
Drip: TechniVorm/Krups MB
Roaster: Toper 1 kilo
Posted Fri Dec 27, 2013, 6:49am

Although I have posted here since this 2008 thread I just realized I left the thread hanging.  My, how time flys, I have had my 1 kilo Toper propane fired roaster going on 6 years!

Make that six years without a breakdown.  I grease the front bearing once a year, have cleaned the innards twice and done.  My best estimate for greens roasted stands at about 4,500 lbs.

The population has decreased from 40,000 souls to around 34,000 on our 84 square mile Island.  We continue to suffer serious economic problems and face electricity that now approaches .60 per kilowatt hour.  

My business model has been and continues to be "my hand to yours".  I don't maintain inventory of roast coffee, only produce to order and date every bag.  In such a small place word of mouth works and I can deliver without going out of my way.  I have several businesses where I can drop and it drives folks through the shops but I also deliver on the beach where I hike, in parking lots and bars.  

I'm buying my greens from Shrub, 50# Grainpro bags.  I keep at least four varieties in stock and my sales usually require a new sack once a month, on average. I use Pacific stand-up bags and lazer print my labels on Avery stock.  After beans, shipping, bags, labels and consumption of gas and some electricity I net around 30% per bag.  Roasting 2.2 pounds per charge nets the bag an average of 14 ounces and I sell by the bag, not per pound, at $15.  I have no rent, no advertising, no delivery expense and I do not consider my labor a cost.  When I'm at home and have orders, I fit the roast effort in with my usual rambling around the place and done.  Once I charge the roaster I have seven minutes to ignore the process before I attend to it for the remaining eight minutes, +\-.

The Toper equipment is rugged and basic, perfect for my rugged and basic environment.  The power is flaky, we have salt in the atmosphere and folks that are wont to carry your stuff away when you're not looking.  The Toper is too heavy to steal!   I wish they would make a heavier television?  

With dry process beans I have some issues with chaff and small beans getting trapped in the sight glass depression.  This requires opening up the drum air all the way at a point in the roast, like it or not, to clear the chaff.  Ethiopians are popular here in Marlyville so I can't get away from the problem.  It also requires proofing the roast once in the cooling drum with a table spoon and bright light to get the few raw beans out of the charge.  

I read of advanced machines, thermocouples and computer applications utilized by advanced artesional roasters that achieve Blue Bottle like results.  I depend on experience making me sensitive to all the hints given up by the beans to achieve the best I can do.  Is my coffee in the same league?  Well, probably not but the alternative here is so bad that I'm safe for the time being.  I do have island visitors from more civilized locations though, those used to "sophisticated" roasts and have received compliments.  

The Toper Cafemino has proven to be a dependable and durable machine and has long since paid for itself.  The relatively small monthly income I generate roasting coffee is simply one component of the several things I do to create sufficient cash flow.  Flexibility and independence are the names of the game.

Happy New Year to Coffee Geaks, each and every one!
RoastinRey
RoastinRey
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Roaster: 1kg Toper Cafemino - Gas
Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 10:01pm

I also own a Toper Cafemino. An excellent gas roaster! Purchased last year in May. I have roasted approximately 400 pounds with pleasing results and happy customers.

Breeze, don't forget to grease the back bearing as well. You'll need to remove the cover.
Burner0000

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 12:01pm

Breeze Said:

We continue to suffer serious economic problems and face electricity that now approaches .60 per kilowatt hour.

Posted December 27, 2013 link

If electricity get's too expensive you should look into a solar setup. depending on your total daily power consumption it may help you.  How much power on average does your toper consume on a busy day? (I know it's gas)  Also including all of your other stuff?
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 8:30pm

Burner0000 Said:

If electricity get's too expensive you should look into a solar setup. depending on your total daily power consumption it may help you.  How much power on average does your toper consume on a busy day? (I know it's gas)  Also including all of your other stuff?

Posted January 6, 2014 link

The cheapest way would be to remove the Camak motor driving the drum on the Toper and replace with a Handle + Hershey bar (to munch on).
DavidN

Posted Sun Jan 26, 2014, 5:39am

Big Dave,
Trust you had a great time over the festive season. Just one tiny little question for you. The CBR-1200 looks fab. Have you finished testing it, and if so are you ready to offload the machine?
Clearly I'd like to repeat the old deal!!! Are you game?
And I guess that was more than 1 question!!

Also Gas powered units are of no earthly use to me, since there is no supply were I am, and it'd cost a small fortune to set one up.

Ol'man David
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Toper 1 Kilo...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.319030046463)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+