Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Reccomend Some Greens
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Reccomend Some...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Zerileous

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2008, 2:23pm
Subject: Reccomend Some Greens

So I just started roasting with a Poppery II and am getting ready to stock up on coffee.  I am planning to order 5 or 6 pounds from Sweet Maria's and I was wondering if people here had any recommendations.  I know its mostly an issue of personal preference, but I would still like to hear some opinions.

Coffees I have liked so far are:
-Guatemala Huehuetenango -Finca San Vicente
-Ethiopia Organic Idido Misty Valley DP
-India Anohki Coffee (Liberica)

I was thinking about getting some more of the first two, and maybe some of the Guatemala Antigua Finca Retana Yellow Bourbon, Kenya Thika - Gethumbwini Peaberry, and Yemen Mokha Sana'ani.  I was wondering if people here had any experience with these?  Does anyone have a favorite yerg?  I would like to limit my selection to sweet maria's for shipping, and because I have had good experiences dealing with them in the past.  

I was also thinking of trying one of their blends, either Moka Kadir or Puro Scuro.

I generally like lighter roasts, but I would like to experiment.  I am brewing with a French Press.

Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
DarkMajestic

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quckmill Vetrano
Grinder: Macap M4 and Capresso...
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: None
Roaster: Behmor & Cajun Pot.
Posted Thu Mar 20, 2008, 4:58pm
Subject: Re: Reccomend Some Greens

Zerileous Said:

I would like to limit my selection to sweet maria's for shipping, and because I have had good experiences dealing with them in the past.  

I was also thinking of trying one of their blends, either Moka Kadir or Puro Scuro.

I generally like lighter roasts, but I would like to experiment.  I am brewing with a French Press.

Thanks.

Posted March 20, 2008 link

If you like things on the lighter side you "may" like Brazil Coromandel - Fazenda Sao Joao at Sweet Marias. Just snug it up to second crack .. hit cool just before you here a krinkle. That may take a batch to get the feel of things.

It makes a light french press .. very chocolate in flavor.

I just recieved Moka Kidir and Puro Scuro ... they sound good to me.

Cheers ...
GC7

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2008, 5:35pm

Zerileous Said:

So I just started roasting with a Poppery II and am getting ready to stock up on coffee.  I am planning to order 5 or 6 pounds from Sweet Maria's and I was wondering if people here had any recommendations.  I know its mostly an issue of personal preference, but I would still like to hear some opinions.

Coffees I have liked so far are:
-Guatemala Huehuetenango -Finca San Vicente
-Ethiopia Organic Idido Misty Valley DP
-India Anohki Coffee (Liberica)

I was thinking about getting some more of the first two, and maybe some of the Guatemala Antigua Finca Retana Yellow Bourbon, Kenya Thika - Gethumbwini Peaberry, and Yemen Mokha Sana'ani.  I was wondering if people here had any experience with these?  Does anyone have a favorite yerg?  I would like to limit my selection to sweet maria's for shipping, and because I have had good experiences dealing with them in the past.  

Thanks.

Posted March 20, 2008 link

We seem to have similar tastes. My Poppery II just arrived new today and I'm anxious to see what I can do with it. I love the medium roasted Ethiopian Idido Misty Valley, and the darker roasted Guatemala Huehuetenango and Kenya AA micro lot I buy from Coffee Labs Roasters so I ordered those green beans from Sweet Marias as well as Kenya AA Giakanja Coop Coffee Mill, Costa Rica Coop Libertad WP Decaf, and Kenya AA Auction Lot  WP Decaf for some variety.  I picked beans whose tastes I know to start as a means of monitoring the quality of my roasts. I can't wait till Monday and my UPS delivery so I can roast my first batch.

To monitor the temperature of my roasts I brought home from work a Raytek MiniTemp Laser thermometer so I can just point and shoot into the chamber to get instant readings.  I will let everyone know how it works.
Zerileous

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2008, 10:39pm

1044 Kenya Thika -Gethumbwini Peaberry -1 lb
1058 Yemen Mokha Sana'ani -1 lb
1008 Guatemala Huehuetenango -Finca San Vicente -1 lb
1007a Guatemala Antigua Finca Retana Yellow Bourbon -1 lb
1021 Brazil Coromandel -Fazenda Sao Joao -1 lb

It was really hard to limit myself to five.  Ill be sure to reply with my responses to these beans.
sueinjuneau
sueinjuneau

Posted Thu Mar 20, 2008, 11:00pm

the guatemala antigue finca retana yellow bourbon is most delicious, I liked it so much I ordered five pounds last time - and the kenya thika gethumbwini is also very, very good

I think you will like them!  experiment with your roasting, as I just roasted a costa rican bean to full city + to almost an oily french roast on accident and the coffee was much more to my liking than the lighter roast had been

you could also try their sampler packs - let them choose and you get a nice variety of 1/2 or 1 lb bags

I found some nice coffees that way which I might not have ordered -

enjoy!

Sue
cjjimmy

Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: solis maestro
Drip: Capresso
Roaster: Behmor/I roast
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2008, 10:09am

Theta Ridge,All kinds of coffee,super fast shipping,price is more then fair,
greeneye
greeneye

Espresso: Isomac Tea HX
Grinder: Mazzer SJ E, Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: 2 cup syphon
Drip: Clever Dripper, V60
Roaster: Coffeetech Torrefattore 2kg
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2008, 1:43pm

Indonesia has some brilliant coffee areas like Bali, Aceh, Sulawesi, Sumatra.
Papua New Guinea is similar--PNG Kinjibi Peaberry, PNG Kimel and several others
Yemen Bani Ismail is a great ugly little bean it's a challenge to roast as they are high grown and need a bit more heat to get going, they cost about double regular beans but it's worth a try.
Honduras produces some great arabica, I've roasted some Barrios Estate AA and it was a full bodied chocolate/fruity flavour with great mouthfeel and a wonderful lingering aftertaste.
Ehtiopian Yirgachef, Harar
Kenya AA, Kenya A, Kenya Dorman AA
BobbyTimonera
BobbyTimonera

Grinder: Bodum Antigua, Zassenhaus,...
Drip: AeroPress, Bodum Chambord
Roaster: Rotisserie, Whirley-Pop
Posted Sat Mar 22, 2008, 7:12am

Any of the Yemen Mokha coffees are best for me. Ordered 15lbs the last time.
ppopp
ppopp

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Macap M4 Doser/Stepless
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: iRoast 2
Posted Sat Mar 22, 2008, 8:20am

Try some Moka Kadir - you won't be disappointed.  I like mine at FC++ to Lt. Vienna.

I tend to like centrals and South American beans, particularly Costa Rican.  My two favorites from this past year are La Minita (always good) and La Horqueta Top 50, which was a nice surprise.  They only have one CR selection left that I haven't tried, but I bet you won't be disappointed.

Peter

Peter

------------------------------------------------------
Know beans, know coffee.  No beans, no coffee.
nmhmadison

Posted Sat Mar 22, 2008, 9:03am

I've just roasted Sweet Maria's Brasil FTO Poco Fundo to a FC+. The beans are great looking in the bag. a little pale yellow but dense and healthy looking. As a rookie, I'm not sure this matters a whole lot but sorry looking beans turn me off a bit.  A great cup truly honest and balanced with great body. Their Yirga Cheffe Konga was also a nice lighter cup with lots of fruity intrigue.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Reccomend Some...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.297158002853)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+