Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Can someone explain the air popper electrical technotalk?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Can someone...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
lawyervon
lawyervon
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Zassenhaus hand grinder
Drip: Chemex 4-cup, Technivorm...
Roaster: Behmor 1600 & Rotisserie...
Posted Wed Mar 5, 2008, 3:23pm
Subject: Re: Can someone explain the air popper electrical technotalk?

What part of this process (going wrong) causes the house to burn down?  That's an important question in this discussion. :-)

I guess along with that -- which part of this process (going wrong) electrocutes me?

Frost Said:

I ran a P2 for many months with a variac on the heater and the fan directly plugged into 120V. .....  There are no lugs to connect so wire nuts or electrical tape and solder are required. I left the fan with it's heater coil intact and ran that to 120. The heater coil on a separate plug went to the Variac. (they share a common, so polarity must be observed.)

Posted March 5, 2008 link

I appreciate the P2 advice.  Thanks so much! I find the above quote slightly over my head. I can't visualize it very well, especially what "plugged directly into 120V" and "the heater coil on a separate plug" involves. Is there a link with photos that can make this more concrete?

417coffee.com -- Tracking my experiences as a coffee lover and coffee homeroaster in 417land and beyond
http://www.417coffee.com
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
ronnie_b

Grinder: Bodum Antigua
Drip: Melitta pour over
Roaster: PID'd P1
Posted Wed Mar 5, 2008, 7:08pm

Frost Said:

Modifying the P2 does not have to be so complicated (for reference, Ron has them backwards: the P1 has the 120 V fan.)  I ran a P2 for many months with a variac on the heater and the fan directly plugged into 120V.
The wiring is a bit more tricky (if you don't usually work on stuff like this, please get some help so you don't burn the house down) There are no lugs to connect so wire nuts or electrical tape and solder are required. I left the fan with it's heater coil intact and ran that to 120. The heater coil on a separate plug went to the Variac. (they share a common, so polarity must be observed.) The P1 has a more powerful and durable fan motor, and more powerful heater (which you don't really need for roasting). I have gotten years of service out of a poppery II, so don't let that stop you.

Posted March 5, 2008 link

You're right, I reversed them.
 View Profile Link to this post
FlyRod
FlyRod

Espresso: Miss Silvia
Grinder: MACAP MC4C83R Doserless...
Vac Pot: AeroPress
Drip: Milita Pour Over
Roaster: Behmor 1600; Wagner 775...
Posted Wed Mar 5, 2008, 7:32pm

I had a couple of P2's and a P1. I was just about to dive in to all the modifications when I read the thread on HGDB roasting. I went out and spent fifteen bucks on a heat gun at Harbor Freight and grabbed a wooden spoon and steel bowl from my wifes cupboards and I was off to the races. Much more control of the roast and I have roasted up to one pound at a time. Though I found at one half pound I was able to control the roast much better. I gave one of my poppers to my brother and one to my cousin and the P1 is collecting dust.
HGDB was much more fun and much more productive. Then came the Behmor,,,I ended up spending a lot of money anyway but I have a nice Behmor instead of modded out poppers roasting 100 grams at a time. Try HGDB, its only a fifteen dollar investment, when you move on you can always use the Heatgun for its intended purpose.
lawyervon
lawyervon

Posted Wed Mar 5, 2008, 8:17pm

Well, I already use the rotisserie drum on my grill and I'm somewhat satisfied with its results, but I'm curious to try this method that so many people seem to find satisfaction with.  From looking around, the air popper method is very popular, so I want to try it and compare results with the rotisserie drum.

417coffee.com -- Tracking my experiences as a coffee lover and coffee homeroaster in 417land and beyond
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
lawyervon
lawyervon

Posted Wed Mar 5, 2008, 8:21pm

Flyrod - if you have a P1 lying around, I'd be willing to take it off your hands to avoid buying a solder gun.

lawyervon
lawyervon

Posted Thu Mar 6, 2008, 8:48am

This morning I found the Engadget directions on modifying a P2.  I'd be open to any commentary on their method.

Click Here (www.engadget.com)

JSutton
JSutton
Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Santa's bringing a burr...
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: West bend Poppery II
Posted Thu Dec 30, 2010, 5:59pm
Subject: Here's an electrical schematic

From the Homeroaster.org PopperyII thred:

click here - Click Here (homeroasters.org)

Here's a schematic.  The Router Speed Controller (find them cheaply at Harbor Freight or EBAY) is optional and is used to decrease the heat from the heating coils.

NOTE: No variac is needed in this design.

JSutton: PopperII Elec Schematic v2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
JSutton
JSutton
Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Santa's bringing a burr...
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: West bend Poppery II
Posted Thu Dec 30, 2010, 8:23pm
Subject: New diagram for splitting heater and fan

Updated diagram for splitting heater and fan on the PopperyII:

JSutton: PopperII Elec Schematic v3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Can someone...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.293349981308)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+