Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Hottop v. Behmor
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Hottop v. Behmor  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 13 last page next page
Author Messages
craigrow

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2008, 4:26pm
Subject: Hottop v. Behmor

So...my wife knocked the iRoast off of the kitchen counter Saturday sending it crashing to the floar and breaking not just the glass but the plastic casing on the roast chamber.   He...he...he...excuse to buy a new roaster.  So, Hottop or Behmor?

I want to buy the best roaster I can get.  Going on price I would expect the Hottop to be much better.  I don't see any reviews to that effect howerver?  Is the Hottop really worth almost three times as much money?  The only advantage it has seems to be the programmability/flexibility.  The Behmor has the obvious advantage of larger batch size.

Hottop or Behmor?
 View Profile Link to this post
JohnF
JohnF
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Carezza (in the nude) :)
Grinder: Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama on the way....
Drip: Pour over and presses...
Roaster: 2# Buzz Roaster & SC/TO
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2008, 5:05pm
Subject: Re: Hottop v. Behmor

Like everything it depends on what you want out of it...

And it depends on what kind of roaster you are...

I personally think the HT is worth the extra money and unless it's a budget issue I'll say get the HT.

But this point it time when you are asking the question is Behmor mania hour. I think you are going to get a slew of advice in that direction.

John F

"coffee is bag to me. It always follow me like bag. I do love coffee. Its taste & aroma make me sweet~ . I happy happy day with coffee"
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
roger_s
roger_s

Espresso: Isomac Millenium, Isomac...
Grinder: LaPavoni PA-JVD, Nemox,...
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Behmor 1600, 1600+, SC/TO
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2008, 5:50pm

I went from an iRoast2 (still in one piece but sitting idle for a very long time) to a SC/TO to a Behmor.  I went to the SC/TO because I wanted to roast 1lb at a time.  I went from the SC/TO to the Behmor because I wanted to spend more time roasting and less time tweaking the machine in hopes of a more even roast.  I went with the iRoast2 instead of a HT because I couldn't justify the cost of the HT--I was just starting out with home roasting and didn't want to make that kind of investment and then discover it wasn't for me.  Of course I never looked back after that first pot of home roasted coffee.

Roger
raisin

Grinder: Virtuosa
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2008, 6:40pm

roger_s Said:

I went with the iRoast2 instead of a HT because I couldn't justify the cost of the HT--I was just starting out with home roasting and didn't want to make that kind of investment and then discover it wasn't for me.  Of course I never looked back after that first pot of home roasted coffee.

Roger

Posted January 21, 2008 link

That's why I waited 6months for the Behmor to become available.
craigrow

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2008, 7:29pm

Let me clarify my question.  If I asked you whether I should buy a Subaru Forester or a Mercedes SLK then, "it depends on what you want."  One is a sport ut, the other a sports car.  You wouldn't buy the SLK to go skiing; you wouldn't buy the Forester to impress the chicks.  However, if I ask you which is the better car, clearly the Mercedes beats the Subaru, hands down, in terms of quality of design, craftsmanship, materials, etc.  

From what I read about the Hottop and the Behmor, however, we're not talking SLK v. Forester.  It's more like a Suburban v. a Tahoe with custom wheels and the Tahoe is considerably more expensive.  What I'm asking is, is the Hottop a Tahoe?  If it is then it's not worth the extra expense.  From what I read, that is the case.

However, the Hottop's price suggests it's not a Tahoe, but a Cadillac Escalade.  In many ways a simlar vehicle but far superior in terms of craftsmanship and quality of materials.  

So, if the Behmor is a Suburban, is the Hottop a Tahoe or an Escalade?  If they were both $200 which would you buy?
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2008, 7:39pm

Hmm, none of those vehicles is sustainable, they're all gas guzzlers and will vanish when gas reaches $6/gallon.  :)

Tough question to answer.  With the current pricing, the answer is a no-brainer.  But people experienced in both machines should be stepping up to the plate here and responding.

The Behmor is still too new to know about its durability.  But, Joe's service is really amazing.  The Hottop had some problems with fires early on but I haven't heard much lately about that, so they probably fixed the problem(s).

What really needs to be done is to have a "roast-off" of the same bean (or beans, in the case of a pre-mixed blend) and proper cupping.  I wonder if Tom at SM has done that or has something in the works for that.  I heard that the Behmor did well against the Hottop in a recent such "contest" but have no details.  Perhaps someone else will chime in.

LMWDP # 010
roger_s
roger_s

Espresso: Isomac Millenium, Isomac...
Grinder: LaPavoni PA-JVD, Nemox,...
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Behmor 1600, 1600+, SC/TO
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2008, 7:46pm

craigrow Said:

So, if the Behmor is a Suburban, is the Hottop a Tahoe or an Escalade?  If they were both $200 which would you buy?

I want to roast 1lb at a time and not in multiple batches.  The Hottop roasts 9oz.  The Behmor roasts 16oz.  I've never used a Hottop but lots of threads here and elsewhere indicate it does a fine job of roasting beans.  My experience with the Behmor indicate it does likewise.  For the price of one low-end Hottop I can buy two Behmor roasters with a bit of change remaining.

Neither is a sport ute or a sports car.  Green beans go in, brown ones come out.  How much are you willing to spend and how much do you want to roast at one time?  The big question mark on the Behmor is longevity.  We've some number of months to go before we know if the majority of them make it past the warranty.  

At $200 for either, it's no contest for me.  It's the Behmor.  I'll run it once for a pound while the Hottop will be run twice.  

Roger
kuban111
kuban111

Espresso: Vetrano
Grinder: M. Kony, Rocky DL
Vac Pot: Silex, Cona
Drip: Chemix/Bodum FP / KMB /...
Roaster: Behmor & Black UFO/TO
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2008, 8:23pm

raisin,

I see that you're from NJ, Were about?

Send you an e-mail but it came back.

Michael.

What ever machine you choose...Enjoy and have fun...Learn and share the experience.
JohnF
JohnF

Espresso: Carezza (in the nude) :)
Grinder: Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama on the way....
Drip: Pour over and presses...
Roaster: 2# Buzz Roaster & SC/TO
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2008, 8:44pm

craigrow Said:

I see what you are trying to say but it's not like that.

The way I see it they would not both be SUV's that you can directly compare. More like different vehicles as in a sedan vs. a truck or a sports car vs. a SUV....something like that.

They do not directly match up on features/benefits yet all of them can drive you to work.

John F

"coffee is bag to me. It always follow me like bag. I do love coffee. Its taste & aroma make me sweet~ . I happy happy day with coffee"
veganjosh

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Izzo Alex
Grinder: Compak K10WBC, Mahlkoenig...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Technivorm, Aeropress
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:16pm

I know absolutely nothing about cars, so I can't get in on that analogy, but I have used both roasters, and here are my thoughts:

I've used my Hottop B extensively, and I absolutely love it --- when I upgraded it from the analog to the B (giving me control of temperature and fan), it completely changed everything about my relationship to coffee.  I'd been roasting for years on a Fresh Roast, iRoast, and analog Hottop...I felt like I did a pretty good job, and drank some pretty good coffee.  But, when I suddenly had control over the roast curve, I realized just how much I'd been missing.  Now, I actually can change how a coffee tastes, for the same roast level, depending on the curve --- as I've learned to do that more and more, my coffee quality has skyrocketed.  In addition, the extra control has made me think a lot more about specific beans --- how coffees from different regions, elevations, etc. should be roasted differently.  There's a lot left to learn, but, seriously, I can't state fervently enough how much the new Hottop controls have changed my relationship to coffee...I'm drinking far better coffee than I ever had, and I find the experience of buying and roasting coffees to be much more satisfying and interesting.

By comparison, I've only roasted on a Behmor a few times, while visiting my father, who recently upgraded to it from an iRoast2.  Without a doubt, the Behmor is a nice machine, and we got some good coffee out of it.  If it were between the Behmore and the old, analog or digital, Hottop, I'd consider the Behmor an easy choice.  However, without hacking the machine (since I don't own one, I haven't watched the hacking threads here, so I'm not sure what people have figured out on this end), it just doesn't offer you a whole lot of control on the roast.

So, the question (to me, at least) is: are you going to use the extra features the Hottop provides?  Are you going to really experiment with creating profiles...does that sound like something you'd enjoy or dread?  If you'd enjoy it, I think the Hottop is a great choice.  On the other hand, if you're not going to extensively use the profile controls, then you'd be paying an extra $400 for better cooling, which doesn't seem like a good deal to me.

Just my opinion,
-Josh
showing page 1 of 13 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Hottop v. Behmor  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.344048023224)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+