Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Official Behmor Profile Thread
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Official Behmor...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 23 last page next page
Author Messages
wideasleep1
wideasleep1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBMDoubleDomo
Grinder: Mahlkoenig K30 Vario
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: Bodum Press
Roaster: IR1 and 2,SC/TO,Behmor
Posted Sat Dec 8, 2007, 7:20pm
Subject: Official Behmor Profile Thread

Since new bimmer owners are struggling to learn their new machines, coupled with the fact that we as homeroasters have a fairly unique opportunity to actually duplicate results with uniformity (bimmer seems only affected by voltage and pre-heating from my reading), I thought it might be a good idea to begin a profile thread. The goal is to share a tried-and-true, repeatable profile from your favorite beans/blend. The format of posts should be fairly uniform, with the explicit detail at the top, and any discussion at the bottom, for example(NOT an actual profile entry):

Beans: SweetMaria's Monkey 1/4#(actual weight)
Profile: 1/4, P3, D, auto-cooled
Results: Full City++
Comments: These beans were shiny to almost oily, but not quite Vienna. Select C instead to get a perfect Full City+.

Does this sound like it would interest anyone? :)
 View Profile Link to this post
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sat Dec 8, 2007, 7:43pm
Subject: Re: Official Behmor Profile Thread

Yes!  Thanks.

LMWDP # 010
nelamvr6
nelamvr6
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Macap MC4 Stepless Doserless
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Technivorm KBTS
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2007, 12:55am

Well, I got a batch of Columbian Supremo from Coffee Beans Direct that seems to have a fairly high moisture content.

I was able to consistently get good Full City roasts of 1/2# batches using P1 by setting the timer to 14:50.  I achieved this by telling the machine that I was roasting 1 # and then backing off the time until I hit 14:50.

Likewise, this batch has proven problematic with P2 also.  I have had to set the machine to an initial time of 18:00 for a 1/2# batch in order to achieve a Full City.  I have accomplished two batches and both have turned out pretty good, nice and even, just about Full City, and they both tasted great in the  cup.  But on both batches my smoke detector went off.

I'm going to try an initial setting of 17:50 next to see if I can achieve the level of roast that I want without setting the smoke detector off.

I really feel that this really has more to do with this specific batch of Columbian Supremo, since I was able to use P2 to roast to full city on some Guatemalan Antigua from Roastmasters.com in just 14:30.
FlyRod
FlyRod

Espresso: Miss Silvia
Grinder: MACAP MC4C83R Doserless...
Vac Pot: AeroPress
Drip: Milita Pour Over
Roaster: Behmor 1600; Wagner 775...
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2007, 8:22am

Since hitting the + or - button before starting the roast affects the second leg and after the roast starts affects the third leg this is how I have been logging my profiles

Baba Budan 14oz.
1#>P2>C>->->START
If I need to add or subrtact time near the end of the roast it would look like this.
1#>P2>C>->->START>+>+
this is jut what I came up with to let me know whether I added or subtracted time from the second or third leg.
Does this make sense to anyone?
Seems it is very duplicatable,,,is that a real word?
Niners to the Super Bowl

Espresso: Brewtus II & X-3
Grinder: MCI &Solis
Drip: TV
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2007, 9:11am

I spent the night dreaming about ways to stretch the time between 1C and 2C in order to allow more flavor to develop. I came up with some potential ways. I hope some others will way in on this and eventually we can move this to a dedicated thread.

1 Open the door a little to slow down the roast after 1C, this is being done by some.

2 Add a variac ahead of the heating elements. From the horses mouth "easy to do but voids the warranty"

3 Use P2 and end 1C at the point the power drops thus allowing some time at idle before it kicks back in with the rush to 2C. This might necessitate                preheating the beans. This could be done with the beans in the drum. go directly to cool, open the door, apply the heat gun. watch the color, stop and restart with the P2.

4 Install a scr ahead of the elements to control the output of elements much like a variac would.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2007, 9:33am

nelamvr6 Said:

.... I was able to use P2 to roast to full city on some Guatemalan Antigua from Roastmasters.com in just 14:30.

Posted December 9, 2007 link

Just wondering....why do you want to use P2 for high-grown beans like Guatemalans and Columbians?

I'm not using P2, P4 or P5 at all anymore.  
For me P1 is perfect for most drip coffees and and P3 for small-batch espresso (component) roasts.

For drip or presspot coffee I run 14-16 oz on P1*B (20:00) - 14.5 oz allows FC to FC++
I also use P1 for espresso roasting larger batches (let's say 12-14 ounces per run).  
For roasting 6-8 ounces I use P3 *A* 1 lb and bring down the initial time a bit

Here's something I found interesting: Yesterday I did two consecutive 8-oz roasts of the same bean:
  1. First batch on P3 * 1 lb subtracted time to start with T=10:00 and then at T=3:00 added 4:00 and then at T=1:15 added ANOTHER 3:00  
  2. Second batch roasted on P1 * 1 lb time adjusted to 17:00

I pulled each roast just as C2 started to roll and I got beans that appear to be identical for roast level and color.
Roast #1 finished at 16:45 total time and roast #2 finished at 16:25 total time.    

What did I learn?  Next time I'll just use P1 and let the machine do it's thing.  

:-))

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Marshall_S

Espresso: Quickmill Anita, Caravel
Grinder: Preciso,Pharos, Super Jolly
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest M3
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2007, 10:18am

JonR10 Said:

For roasting 6-8 ounces I use P3 *A* 1 lb and bring down the initial time a bit

Hey Jon:

Wondering why you use the 1 lb setting (adjusted) when roasting 8 oz.?

Is there an advantage to this as opposed to using the 8 oz. setting and adding time at the end if the roast is no long enough?

I do the latter and I've been real pleased with results-

Thanks-
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2007, 10:36am

Marshall_S Said:

Wondering why you use the 1 lb setting (adjusted) when roasting 8 oz.?

Using the 1 pound setting allows more total time.  The max allowed for 1/2 pound on P3 is 15:30 but for 1 pound the max is over 20 minutes.
In my example above both cases went over 16 minutes, so I wouldn't have made it to C2 roll if I had used the 1/2 pound setting

When I'm looking to reach into C2 on a P3 profile I do use the 1/2 pound setting for batch sizes of 5-6 ounces

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Marshall_S

Espresso: Quickmill Anita, Caravel
Grinder: Preciso,Pharos, Super Jolly
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest M3
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2007, 10:38am

That makes sense-

Thanks again-
FlyRod
FlyRod

Espresso: Miss Silvia
Grinder: MACAP MC4C83R Doserless...
Vac Pot: AeroPress
Drip: Milita Pour Over
Roaster: Behmor 1600; Wagner 775...
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2007, 10:48am

Just wondering....why do you want to use P2 for high-grown beans like Guatemalans and Columbians?

Jon, what is considered high and low? In my non coffee world I consider anything at 5000 ft. and above as high...I live near the Sierra's in Central California and equate any reference to high or low to my preference of high lake and stream fly fishing. In the coffee world what is the line of demarcation as to high and low grown. I always get scared of the P2 profile also...seems like I always need to stretch it out.
showing page 1 of 23 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Official Behmor...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.331020832062)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+