Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Low-cost Variac alternative for PopperyI fan speed boost (15V boost transformer)
Quick Mill Machines
Free extended warranty & shipping. Enter email for best price / match
espressooutlet.net

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Low-cost Variac...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
Chocolate_Dog_Kona
Chocolate_Dog_Kona
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: SD3C PID Rancilio Silvia!
Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Bodum Press Pot
Drip: Mr. Coffee
Roaster: Boosted Poppery I
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2007, 11:43am
Subject: Low-cost Variac alternative for PopperyI fan speed boost (15V boost transformer)

I know that a lot of us are still using the venerable Poppery I (and original Pumper) for our home-roasts.

Recently, a link was posted here for a REALLY good 15Vac boost transformer.  This, in combination with a cheap $6 fan speed control (similar to a light dimmer switch) available at any hardware store, works just as well as a high dollar variac to boost the voltage to the fan so you can roast more green beans per batch.

This link was buried in another thread, and I really think it is worthwhile to post it again, so here it is:

9$ Heavy-Duty Boost Transformer

You can order up to three without really changing the shipping cost if you select ground shipping (shipping is ~$10 for 1-3 units).

These transformers are really designed to boost line voltage in places such as old buildings.  I bought several, and they are VERY good, heavy-duty units.  They're rated for over 6A (~750 Watts), so they are more than capable of boosting the voltage to the Poppery I's fan without any worries of failure.  They're not small; they weigh about 5 lbs each, and are about 3" x 3" x 5", but they're made to last.

In my experience, with a good 120Vac line, I get right at 140Vac using the boost transformer.  Using one of these at full power for roasting, I can do 210g of green per roast without tilting the popper.  If I tilt the popper (I set the front on a ~1 high ledge), I can get about 235g of green per roast without having to shake or otherwise touch the roaster.  If you wanted to do a more hands-on roast, I imagine you could do slightly over 250g per roast.

The fan speed control comes in handy later in the roast once the beans are really moving.  I find that after about 350 degrees, I turn the fan down to about 120Vac for the rest of the roast.  My roasts are running about 13 minutes on average to a rolling 2nd crack (what I use for espresso) at an ambient temperature of 70 degrees.  Once Im done with the roast, I turn the heater off and crank the fan back up to full to cool the beans.  For the record, Im using a soup can (or in my case mixed vegetables) to extend my roast chamber and hold my temp measuring devices.

Hope this post can help a few people out!!!  I am sure happy with this set-up!

"Engineers don't idle well."
 View Profile Link to this post
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2007, 1:01pm
Subject: Re: Low-cost Variac alternative for Poppery I fan speed boost

That transformer with a switch will almost get a USA Silvia up to Euro steaming power.  It is a bit on the small side - ~750 Watts vs. 1100 watts but for about 1 minute to get to steaming temp. it may be OK.

Phil

Chocolate_Dog_Kona Said:

I know that a lot of us are still using the venerable Poppery I (and original Pumper) for our home-roasts.

Recently, a link was posted here for a REALLY good 15Vac boost transformer.  This, in combination with a cheap $6 fan speed control (similar to a light dimmer switch) available at any hardware store, works just as well as a high dollar variac to boost the voltage to the fan so you can roast more green beans per batch.

This link was buried in another thread, and I really think it is worthwhile to post it again, so here it is:

9$ Heavy-Duty Boost Transformer

You can order up to three without really changing the shipping cost if you select ground shipping (shipping is ~$10 for 1-3 units).

These transformers are really designed to boost line voltage in places such as old buildings.  I bought several, and they are VERY good, heavy-duty units.  They're rated for over 6A (~750 Watts), so they are more than capable of boosting the voltage to the Poppery I's fan without any worries of failure.  They're not small; they weigh about 5 lbs each, and are about 3" x 3" x 5", but they're made to last.

In my experience, with a good 120Vac line, I get right at 140Vac using the boost transformer.  Using one of these at full power for roasting, I can do 210g of green per roast without tilting the popper.  If I tilt the popper (I set the front on a ~1 high ledge), I can get about 235g of green per roast without having to shake or otherwise touch the roaster.  If you wanted to do a more hands-on roast, I imagine you could do slightly over 250g per roast.

The fan speed control comes in handy later in the roast once the beans are really moving.  I find that after about 350 degrees, I turn the fan down to about 120Vac for the rest of the roast.  My roasts are running about 13 minutes on average to a rolling 2nd crack (what I use for espresso) at an ambient temperature of 70 degrees.  Once Im done with the roast, I turn the heater off and crank the fan back up to full to cool the beans.  For the record, Im using a soup can (or in my case mixed vegetables) to extend my roast chamber and hold my temp measuring devices.

Posted April 13, 2007 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2007, 2:27pm
Subject: Re:Lowcost Variac alternative for PopperyI fan speed boost 15V boost transformer

Chocolate_Dog_Kona Said:

Posted April 13, 2007 link

Awesome & excellent Jared!
Low cost alternatives like this & any & all useful helpful informative info is always needed & certainly appreciated, reposted 2, 3, whatever how many times! {;-D

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
ronnie_b

Grinder: Bodum Antigua
Drip: Melitta pour over
Roaster: PID'd P1
Posted Sat Apr 14, 2007, 5:02am
Subject: Re: Low-cost Variac alternative for PopperyI fan speed boost

I burned out 2 Radio Shack transformers boosting my P1 before I found that transformer at The Surplus Center and posting it here. Since it seems to be catching on now I ordered 2 for backups before they go out of stock. :-D
dBndbit
dBndbit

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Aeropress, pour-thru cones
Roaster: rotisserie toaster oven...
Posted Sat Apr 14, 2007, 5:06am
Subject: Re: Lowcost Variac alternative for PopperyI fan speed boost 15V boost transforme

Great Idea instead of an expensive variable transformer.

---snip, cut---

Sorry, I confused myself on this one!  I definitely need another cup of caffeine.  This boost transformer is a one-piece step-up.

Jim
http://www.ReeferDoor.com
  (Home-roasting and fair trade)
  Website is a work-in-progress.  I hate HTML.
ronnie_b

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2007, 3:22pm
Subject: Re: Lowcost Variac alternative for PopperyI fan speed boost 15V boost transforme

2 pieces, you still need a dimmer.
Chocolate_Dog_Kona
Chocolate_Dog_Kona

Espresso: SD3C PID Rancilio Silvia!
Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Bodum Press Pot
Drip: Mr. Coffee
Roaster: Boosted Poppery I
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2007, 10:44am

All by itself, the transformer is a one piece step-up, and plenty usable.

However, with the addition of a $6 fan dimmer, you get all the control you need over the fan.  Through the dimmer, I measure up to 17v boost, and as low as 48v of buck (without load).  This gives you a range of 72v-137v to control the fan speed if desired, and at the low end the fan is barely moving.  I would say this set-up does just as good as any variac could.

Having said all that, I took some measurements this past weekend during a couple batches.

Under load (with the heating element on), I get about 15v of boost through the dimmer and 17v straight out of the transformer (due to internal losses in the dimmer).  However, because the heater is pulling so much current, line voltage tends to sag under the load.  I measure about 110 - 112 Vac on the line with the heater turned on.  Adding the 15v of boost from the transformer/dimmer only puts you at 127Vac, so you're really only boosting the fan motor 7v.  In practice, this does make a huge difference though, as a 210g batch of green coffee in 10 - 12 minutes is no trouble.  The motor should be able to handle the extra 7v without any problem.

Also, ronnie_b, nice find on the transformer!!!  I bought 3.  I burned up my first rat shack one right away, and haven't bothered with trying again since.  When I saw this transformer for such a good price, I couldn't resist!

"Engineers don't idle well."
ronnie_b

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2007, 4:07pm

I can't measure the way you did, but I can roast 240 grams by tilting the roaster, 250 gram roasts are a little too uneven.
kuban111
kuban111

Espresso: Vetrano
Grinder: M. Kony, Rocky DL
Vac Pot: Silex, Cona
Drip: Chemix/Bodum FP / KMB /...
Roaster: Behmor & Black UFO/TO
Posted Fri Apr 20, 2007, 5:36am

Great find and thanks for passing on the info.

Question ???

Im not using a Poppery 1. Im using a UFO/TO roaster would this work on this combination as well. I roast 12oz - 1lbs

This, in combination with a cheap $6 fan speed control (similar to a light dimmer switch) available at any hardware store, works just as well as a high dollar variac to boost the voltage to the fan so you can roast more green beans per batch.

Any more detail info on this light dimmer switch please.

Do I connect in series (Voltage booster, Light dimmer switch, UFO/TO)  

Ive been having a lot of fun & great success home roasting with my UFO/TO
Sure would appreciate any new info that would held me continue learning.

Thank you,

What ever machine you choose...Enjoy and have fun...Learn and share the experience.
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Fri Apr 20, 2007, 8:55am

Hi Michael,

I am not sure what you are going to do with the transformer.  If you are controlling the heating element you will probably need a bigger transformer and a heavy duty dimmer.  If you are controling the motor this setup should be fine.

An argument can be made for either putting the transformer before the dimmer or the dimmer before the transformer.  The argument for putting the dimmer first is that it will be operating at its design voltage.  I believe that the triacs used in the dimmers are rated for 400 volts so I wouldn't worry much about this.

I would put the transformer first since any lack of symety in the dimmer could put DC into the transformer primary.  This may cause core saturation and in turn overheating.

A good illustration of this transformer / dimmer setup by the "frankenformer" guy himself is here:

http://mdmint.home.comcast.net/coffee/fancontrolproto.htm

Phil

kuban111 Said:

Great find and thanks for passing on the info.

Question ???

Im not using a Poppery 1. Im using a UFO/TO roaster would this work on this combination as well. I roast 12oz - 1lbs

This, in combination with a cheap $6 fan speed control (similar to a light dimmer switch) available at any hardware store, works just as well as a high dollar variac to boost the voltage to the fan so you can roast more green beans per batch.

Any more detail info on this light dimmer switch please.

Do I connect in series (Voltage booster, Light dimmer switch, UFO/TO)  

Ive been having a lot of fun & great success home roasting with my UFO/TO
Sure would appreciate any new info that would held me continue learning.

Thank you,

Posted April 20, 2007 link

Philip J. Keleshian
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Low-cost Variac...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.337071895599)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+