Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Z&D Update
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Z&D Update  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Wed Jan 14, 2004, 11:00am
Subject: Re: Z&D Update

Here is the bottom of the lid with the guide tube.

PJK: RoasterLidWithGuideTube.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
PJK
PJK

Posted Wed Jan 14, 2004, 11:05am

This is the top of the lid.  I wish I could have used bounce flash.  I also wish I focused better.  Note the flare in the top of the tube.  I left it because I thought it looks more finished and I thought it would be easier on the thermocouple wire.

Phil

PJK: TopOfRoasterLid.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Philip J. Keleshian
PJK
PJK

Posted Wed Jan 14, 2004, 11:16am

This picture shows how I passed the heater wires out for connection to the Variac.

Note the duct tape to protect the insulation on the wires.

Please note that I don't consider this the finished configuration.  It is just a development step.

If I continue with the Variac I will have a plug on the roaster into which the Variac will connect and a line cord (properly strain reliefed) from the heater to plug into the Variac.  I am thinking of increasing the heating element to ~ 600 Watts and using an incandescent lamp dimmer to control it.  All that should fit in the base of the machine.

I have some pictures with the bottom cover off showing the connection of the heater leads to the PC board.

Phil

PJK: CoffeeRoasterBottom.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Philip J. Keleshian
PJK
PJK

Posted Wed Jan 14, 2004, 5:41pm

Here is a better view of the top.

PJK: NewTopView.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Philip J. Keleshian
PJK
PJK

Posted Wed Jan 14, 2004, 5:48pm

Here is a bottom view with the cover removed.  The wires at the left coming out from under the metal peice are the heater leads.  The other end of the leads are pulled up near the top right of the board.  The little black boxes near the right of the board are relays.  No doubt one is for the roast chamber heater and the other is for the cat heater.

PJK: BottomView.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Philip J. Keleshian
PJK
PJK

Posted Wed Jan 14, 2004, 5:51pm

This is where the roast heater connects to the board.

PJK: Connections.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Philip J. Keleshian
74SOHC

Espresso: L'el.it
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: not yet:(
Drip: Capresso Coffee Tec
Roaster: HWG, Z&D
Posted Thu Jan 15, 2004, 6:55am

Thanks for the pics Phil.

Did you do any roasting with the variac? If so, how did it perform? I'm just wondering what would be better, a new heater with dimmer, or the variac route.....

Thanks,
Scott
 View Profile Link to this post
PJK
PJK

Posted Thu Jan 15, 2004, 4:44pm

Hi Scott,

I have done several roasts with the Variac.  Last night I roasted some decaf Colombian from Costco for my wife.  (don't laugh after resting overnight, this stuff smells good enough to tempt me to be a decaf drinker)

This time I filled the chamber to the normal fill line.  I did preheat the machine.

I did the clone of Jim's Hot-top clone.

I have an old Graylab darkroom timer.  I put peices of tape around the clockface with the temperatures on them.  As the hand on the timer approachs a new temperature I turn the Variac knob up or down depending how far I am from the desired temperature and the rate at which the temperature is moving.

I was able to come real close to his profile except the very begining.  This was a funny story.  Since this is a new setup and I am still in the learning curve I had my DVM hooked across the heater.  The digits on the DVM are about the same size as those on the thermometer.  At the start of the roast  I turned up the Variac.  The temp didn't seem to be ramping fast enough.  I turned it up full.
I read about 136 and it was holding steady.  I then realized I was looking at the DVM, not the thermometer.  I turned down the Variac and bumped the hand on the Graylab up to match the 250 degrees on the thermometer.  The rest of the roast proceded on schedule.

I would say that if you don't mind one extra peice of equipment in your setup, there is no reason not to use the Variac.  My rangetop is getting crowded with the Z&D, the HWP for bean cooling, the thermocuple meter, and the Variac.  The crowded setup is what is prompting me to look at a higher wattage heater and lamp dimmer.

The Z&D load of beans turns out to be a large load for the HWP.  After getting the beans into the HWP and starting the cool cycle in it, I have to pick it up and rock it in a cicular motion to keep the beans agitated.

Let me know how you make out with your machine.

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Thu Jan 15, 2004, 6:22pm

Wow! I didn't think the Z&D was this hackable. With good cooling, and a decent profile, this should be a superb roaster, since the augur system does such beautifully even roasts.

You've definitely made your "hard core home roasting" bones!

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
74SOHC

Espresso: L'el.it
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: not yet:(
Drip: Capresso Coffee Tec
Roaster: HWG, Z&D
Posted Thu Jan 15, 2004, 9:57pm

I think a variac would be nice...then I can use it on the gourmet as well. I thought it was gonna cost me an arm and a leg....but when doing some searching on Jims hot top clone....I came across all kinds of posts..and found his review of the krm 590 from coffee bean corral. ...too bad I just got an order from them not too long ago. But, I guess I'll need more green beans sooner or later right?

My girlfriend already thinks I'm nuts...but she loves the fresh roasted beans.  The other night, I caught her sneaking off with the french press and some beans that she just ground up. She was off to a meeting and couldn't bear the thought of having to drink the coffee there. I just chuckled and called her a snob....she replied that she's not a snob, she's just spoiled now......

But I agree with Jim....the Z&D does roast very evenly...and will be even better with using a good profile.

Thanks guys,
Scott
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Z&D Update  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.319097995758)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+