Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
My popper
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > My popper  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ronnie_b

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Bodum Antigua
Drip: Melitta pour over
Roaster: PID'd P1
Posted Tue Mar 27, 2007, 6:05pm
Subject: My popper

People have asked about my roaster so I thought I'd post some pics and a description. I have a P1 with an Auber PID w/30 programmable steps. The PID monitors the heater input temp for control. I monitor the bean temp with one of these: http://www.indoorhealthproducts.com/912.htm I have a booster transformer for the fan and I can roast up to 250 grams of coffee by tilting the roaster. The Roast chamber is a heavy duty lantern chimney from Wally world. The chimney flares out at the top and I cut the top off with a Dremel. The chaff catcher is a stainless steel canister lined with some aluminium screen from Wally world also. I cut a hole in the bottom and glued in a tomato paste can. The can just fits over the chimney.
Now for some pics.
The Roaster
Click Here (i19.photobucket.com)

The control panel

The cooler

Ron
 View Profile Link to this post
gt

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Virtuoso
Drip: Cones & CCD
Roaster: P1 w/ variacs
Posted Tue Mar 27, 2007, 7:21pm
Subject: Re: My popper

Ron, is this the boost transformer you are using now?  If so does the fan seem to hold up good and how many roosts have done with it?

Click Here (www.surpluscenter.com)

I saw in an early post that you were using this boost transformer and I order one a couple of days ago to use with my P1.  I'm just wondering how the fan holds up with the over voltage.

Thanks Gary
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ronnie_b

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2007, 4:56am

That's the one. I tried using a Radio Shack transformer as was posted in other places but it died on me. That one is solid, it's rated for 3 amps. I've been using it since September and do at least 2 roasts a week. The fan has been fine. I only run it as fast as I need it to agitate the beans. I have done roasts of 250 grams but I get a very uneven roast at that weight.
mckolit
mckolit

Espresso: Delonghi EC701
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly (with the...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Krups
Roaster: Whirley Pop
Posted Wed Mar 28, 2007, 7:27am

Ron,

Where do you put the thermocouple in your popper to measure heater temp?

Man likes to play chess.  Let's get him some rocks.
gt

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2007, 7:28am

OK thanks Ron.  When you say "I only run it as fast as I need it to agitate the beans", I not sure what you mean.  With this boost transformer, you only get one speed don't you?

Thanks Gary
mckolit
mckolit

Espresso: Delonghi EC701
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly (with the...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Krups
Roaster: Whirley Pop
Posted Wed Mar 28, 2007, 8:37am

It looks like Ron uses a dimmer to control fan speed?

Man likes to play chess.  Let's get him some rocks.
ronnie_b

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2007, 6:22pm

Correctamundo about the dimmer. The transformer and the dimmer are way less expensive than a variac. If you look at the picture of the roaster, the thermocouple for the bean temp is sticking out the side of the roaster. The thermocouple for the PID is underneath the cover. I drilled a hole in a flat spot on the roast chamber. It's behind the finned portion before the heated air enters.
gt

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2007, 7:09pm

Thanks guys, I understand.  Gary
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > My popper  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.279386997223)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+