Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Gene Cafe Owners - Do You Love Your Gene Cafe?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Gene Cafe Owners...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
EddieDove
EddieDove
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Carezza
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Dienes
Vac Pot: Yama w/ Cory Glass Rod,...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex, Bodum...
Roaster: RKDrum, Behmor, Gene Cafe,...
Posted Sun Dec 10, 2006, 8:39pm
Subject: Gene Cafe Owners - Do You Love Your Gene Cafe?

I started roasting with my Gene Cafe on August 28, 2006.  Thus far, I have run 62.5 pounds in 121 roasts through this roaster; it has yet to disappoint me and I often run between anywhere from 4 to 10 consecutive batches through the roaster at a time.  I have even run as many as 15 consecutive batches.

I have also been able to successfully create and use a profile ("Gene Cafe Profiles and Results - Share Yours!") for this roaster and now my coffee is better than ever.  

I am very please with this product thus far and I sure hope it continues to deliver ...

What is your experience with your Gene Cafe?

Respectfully,

Eddie
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Yemenman
Yemenman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti Moka Pot
Grinder: Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama 8 , Kona
Drip: TV KBT741 MOKA MASTER CD
Roaster: I ROAST  GENE CAFE  HOT TOP
Posted Sun Dec 10, 2006, 9:38pm
Subject: Re: Gene Cafe Owners - Do You Love Your Gene Cafe?

EddieDove Said:

I started roasting with my Gene Cafe on August 28, 2006.  Thus far, I have run 62.5 pounds in 121 roasts through this roaster; it has yet to disappoint me and I often run between anywhere from 4 to 10 consecutive batches through the roaster at a time.  I have even run as many as 15 consecutive batches.

I have also been able to successfully create and use a profile ("Gene Cafe Profiles and Results - Share Yours!") for this roaster and now my coffee is better than ever.  

I am very please with this product thus far and I sure hope it continues to deliver ...

What is your experience with your Gene Cafe?

Respectfully,

Eddie

Posted December 10, 2006 link

I could not be more pleased,like you have said before Eddie"if this thing ever breaks il get another one".I have been subjecting mine to vey cold temperatures in the garage and it doesnt even care,ramps up in about the same time,its a real workhorse!

Later,
Steve.
 View Profile Link to this post
fredfal

Espresso: Linea 1EE
Grinder: K10 WBC
Vac Pot: yes
Drip: Bodum pour-over
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Dec 10, 2006, 10:06pm

Same.  I just passed the 50 pound mark this afternoon and going strong.

After reading so much negative feedback on this thing, I was thinking I was just lucky.  Don't know.  I  have Gene hooked up to a dedicated 20 amp circuit in my garage.  I think some folks may be having power problems.  Not sure, but I'm sure happy.

-Fred
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Susanna

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: KitchenAid pro line
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Sun Dec 10, 2006, 10:18pm

I am happy with mine so far.  Had it about a month now and haven't counted the roasts.  I will have to check my notes and see how much I have done.  My husband and I drink a lot of coffee.  I make a TV full in the morning when I first get up and we drink that.  Then I make a 32oz bodum press pot and fill my thermos for work and make another TV full for him before I leave.  Then I make a TV full when I get home and sometimes a press pot too.   I know I have gone through a SM sampler and on a second one.  Also have bought several pounds from the green coffee buying club and 20lbs off ebay.  I would say it has all turned out better than any store bought. I usually do 8ozs at a time and do two roasts back to back.  No problems so far and it is so easy to use.

Susan
stackie

Espresso: Fiorenzata Bricoletta
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Why
Drip: Ummm, same.
Posted Sun Dec 10, 2006, 10:37pm

It's ok for me.  I have moved from PP to iRoast and now to Gene Cafe.  I left iRoast because it died, and I was somewhat tired of small batch size.  

Gene Cafe is satis for me.  But, mine basically never reaches 482.  It will get close, but never gets there, not even empty.  I'd blame it on the electicity, but my iRoast screamed on this particular circuit (I've moved enough to have comparison).  It takes me 18 minutes to roast to beginning of second crack for 250 grams of beans. I'm not using any roast profiles, because it takes so long anyway.  

I am roasting outside, but I'm in coastal Cal, so the ambient temp is usually 55-68 all the time.

I emailed Sweet Marias re this.  They seemed to think that was just fine.  So, I'm sticking with it.

I have an interesting problem/occurrence with it recently that I will detail in a new thread.

Jon
Susanna

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: KitchenAid pro line
Posted Sun Dec 10, 2006, 11:23pm

Hey Jon,

I am in So California also.  What area are you in?  Anyway, I have noticed that mine sometimes does not reach 482 either.  It usually gets to at least 480 though.  I don't use that high of a temp anymore.  465 is the highest I go lately.  Been trying some of the other profiles using a slower ramp up time.  I just kinda watch the bean and listen for 1st crack to start and most of my roasts I stop when first crack ends.  So far so good.

Susan
zootx8

Espresso: Krups
Grinder: Crappy Burr Grinder
Vac Pot: Bodum, Bodum FP
Drip: Mr. Coffee
Posted Mon Dec 11, 2006, 5:07pm

I've roasted around 35 lbs so far with my Gene Cafe.  Realized about 5 lbs ago that making sure I only roast 240g at a time, and preheat has helped tremendously, I consistently reach first crack around 10-11 minutes and hit second crack at around 15 minutes.  All told, I love this thing, and would recommend it to anyone.
Stumpknocker

Grinder: Kitchen Aid
Posted Mon Dec 11, 2006, 6:05pm

Got mine in March and love it.  I was trying to roast on a BBQ drum and found it impossible to consistently get results. I roast using 10 oz. regardless of the bean and have not had any trouble.  I think the instructions indicate 12 oz is the max.  I too do roasts back to back and have not had a problem. I do notice after the first roast with a cold start the next roast to the same profile takes a littles less time (45 secs or so).  Just for you guys to compare, the following data shows the difference in time and temperature with 12 oz of Columbian from a cold start using a warm up temp of 250 for four minutes and then 460 until the first crack vs the second roast from a warm startup with the same profile.

Cold                    Warm
min
1         210                     250
2         250                     250
3         250                     250
4         250                     250
5         318                     327
6         357                     370
7         381                     393                
8         399                     413
9         413                     428
10       429                     440
11       440                     451
12       449                     460
13       460                     460
14  FC @14.54          FC @14.03

I can't say that I can tell any difference in the taste of the two roasts but as you can see the total roast time to first crack is 51 seconds longer for the cold start.  I generally ramp the temperature down to 440 with the start of the first crack and roast for 3 to 3.5 min.  I don't use the cooling cycle but terminate the roast and cool using a colander, hair dryer and a little water spritz.
lparsons21

Espresso: Izzo Alex
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Ascaso i2,...
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Behmor,...
Posted Tue Dec 12, 2006, 11:16am

Got mine today and just tested and did the first roast.

Testing on an empty machine :
1 Min = 262
2 Min = 347
3 Min = 393
4 Min = 426
5 Min = 449
6 Min = 469
Top temp @6.5 Min = 474

Then I did 8 oz of Colombia Excelsio to about 2 minutes past start of 1st crack.
300 for 5 Minutes
1st Crack @ 13:12
Done @15:30

I hit for cool and ran a blower over it while cooling, then stopped it after a bit.

I'll know tomorrow how it turned out.  But eyeballing it and the roast I am drinking now show it right on the money.

Nice machine, quiet and neat.  Literally no smoke at the level I went to.  I think I'm going to really like this machine.

Lloyd
Dooglas
Dooglas

Espresso: Vibiemme Junior
Grinder: Ascaso, Baratza
Drip: Bonavita, Bodum press
Roaster: GeneCafe, Behmor
Posted Tue Dec 12, 2006, 6:23pm

Yes, mine works great for me. Had it since spring and it just turns out roast after roast with predictable and almost monotonous consistency. Like a toaster, I'll use it until I wear it out and then I'll get another one.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Gene Cafe Owners...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.296245098114)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+