Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
IMEX CR-100
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > IMEX CR-100  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
torjusd

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Bosch
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: King of Coffee
Roaster: Imex CR-100
Posted Tue Nov 11, 2003, 4:55pm
Subject: IMEX CR-100

Hi!

I live in Norway, and recently ordered an Imex CR-100 home roaster from a webshop in the UK (www.hasbean.co.uk). I put the specified amount of green beans in, and set the thing for 8 minutes, which the manual said would give me a light/medium roast. Problem was, after 8 minutes, the beans were barely light brown! Even after 25 minutes, there was no oil on the beans. Anyone have any idea of what the problem could be? I'm suspecting the chaff collector, or possibly the heater element.

Any thoughts?

Torjus Dalseide
 View Profile Link to this post
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Tue Nov 11, 2003, 8:56pm
Subject: Re: IMEX CR-100

This unit is sold as the Cafe Rosto in the US. The roasters have excellent reliability, but are extremely variable on roast times, since the recirculating design amplifies even small variations in fan and heater capacity.

Fortunately, there's a fix. It's described at the Netspresso site.

The site is short and sweet, but also has very high quality information on espresso making. Ronald Lever is an alt.coffee regular and a great supporter of all us coffee nuts; so he'll answer any questions you mail or post.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MGLloyd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Livia 90 semi
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Drip: Capresso MT 500
Roaster: Behmor and HG/DB
Posted Tue Nov 11, 2003, 8:57pm

The Imex CR-100 is also known as the Caffe Rosto in many other regions of the world.  Try a Google search using the terms 'Caffe Rosto cold' or 'caffe rosto broken' or 'caffe rosto fuse'.  Or you can look on this site in the roasting talk forums, and look for the post entitled 'fuse replacement for caffe rosto' that I wrote.

Owning two Caffe Rostos myself, I am going to guess that as the unit is running, the air coming out of the exhaust port is lukewarm at best.  If the machine is working properly, you should be able to hold your hand in front of the exhaust port for only a second or two to prevent burning.  

If the air coming out is lukewarm, the most likely explanation is that the thermal fuse, also known as a thermal cutout, is blown.  This happens when the machine reaches a certain temperature.  When that temperature is exceeded, the thermal fuse opens the circuit to prevent fire.  Once that happens, the fuse must be replaced or bypassed.  Without doing so, the machine will never reach roasting temperature.    My post on the fuse replacement identifies the part, and provides some links to other websites showing how to replace or bypass the fuse.

Bearing in mind that you just purchased the unit, and I assume this was one of the first times you used it, I would return it to the shop from where it was purchased for a replacement under warranty.

Please let us know if you have any furthe questions.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Mill Creek, Washington  USA

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Mill Creek, Washington  USA
Georg

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: Jenaer Glass Gaskettless,...
Drip: Press Pot or hand pour
Roaster: HG/DB setup
Posted Wed Nov 12, 2003, 9:45am

I have the same roaster (also 220V) and find it picky to use. Amount of beans, ambient temp and voltage play a big role. I had quite a few stalled roasts with flat tasting coffee.

The site Jim suggests is good and helpful. Alas I donīt like the suggested mod. I would guess the cooling will be affected by it as well. So what I do, if I feel a roast is not proceeding well, is to cover the outlet with the metal measuring cup by hand. I also take care that I roast in a warm environement (aka inside). Roasting in the bathroom was not a good idea though. Despite the fan the smoke kept a long time and the towels got a smell.

Suggested setup is to use a movable shutter which can be adjusted from the outside. Using a thermometer would allow for mechanical control of the roast profile. If I ever have some time left ...

I had a few roasts now from the CR 100 which where very good. Made a perfect espresso using a Brazil/Honduras Mix suggested by the guys from Sweet Marias

Georg
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > IMEX CR-100  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.231415987015)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+