Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Need advice on decaf green for acid reflux issues
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Need advice on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu May 18, 2006, 8:04pm
Subject: Need advice on decaf green for acid reflux issues

Hello.  I have that freakin' acid reflux issue that hits alot of us coffee drinkers.  I had it in the past, before I started roasting.  Now I have it again and it really stinks.

The problem is that I cannot drink caffeinated coffee.  It is the caffeine that causes the reflux, believe it or not.

So I guess what I am asking is do any of you know a great decaf blend that tastes super?  Again, no caffeine, real low in acid, tastes great.

Please let me know.  I am on my 4th day with no coffee at all.  I am past the major headaches, however I have to do a 2 week stretch here.  And afterwards I do not want to go through this again.

NEED GOOD DECAF BAD.  HELP ME ~~~~~~~~~...........

Len
CoffeeRoastersClub.com

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Sinkshot

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: IRoast 2
Posted Fri May 19, 2006, 12:01pm
Subject: Re: Need advice on decaf green for acid reflux issues

Len--

I buy a lot of decaf from Sweet Maria's.  I just got 5# of Harar (I can tell the differrence between decaf/high test, but it is still good).  They have a lot of single origin and a decaf espresso.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.greencoffee.mvc.shtml

Decaf beans are at the bottom.

good luck,
alan
 View Profile Link to this post
bennybrew
bennybrew
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: sadly, no
Grinder: zass
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: bodum press, chemex, gb moka
Roaster: i-roast 2
Posted Fri May 19, 2006, 2:58pm

sweet maria's, of course, is da bomb. as the kids say....

look for any decaf that is "water process." there's a pretty spiffy article at sweet maria's (of course) about all the decaf processes but they are not the only ones that sell that.

i've found some decafs that taste pretty spiffy. story house's headless chicken and sweet maria's donkey (monkey?) blend are grand. i've made my own blends that were pretty good too.

eatdrinkandbemerry
Pyment
Pyment
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Zassenhaus, Rocky, Trosser,...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Genecafe
Posted Sat May 20, 2006, 7:46pm

I haven't had it, but Cafe Imports offers a blend they call "stomach friendly decaf". Might be worth a try. If you buy by the bag that is. Perhaps they can direct you to somewhere to try it retail.

"One night, Kaldi's goats failed to come home, and in the morning he found them dancing with abandon and  glee near a shiny, dark-leafed shrub with red berries. Kaldi sampled some of the berries and soon he too was dancing in the field alongside his goats."  http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com
walkingmiller

Posted Mon May 22, 2006, 8:30am

I have to agree with everyone about Sweet Maria's.  My wife can't handle the caffeine at night, so I have to make decaf if I want to enjoy a late-night cup.  I really like Sweet Maria's Sulawesi Toraja WP Decaf.  Although I can tell it is decaf, it could very easily fool many people.  I have also ordered some Kenya AA Decaf which I will be roasting within the week.  If you are still looking for something I can give you a review of it.  I hope everything works out and you are able to stop torturing yourself.
mrapollo

Espresso: DeLonghi lower end
Grinder: Breville BCG450XL
Drip: Melitta thermal, Aeropress,...
Roaster: iRoast 2
Posted Tue May 23, 2006, 6:09pm

After trying several African, Central American, and island decafs, my staples have become Sulawesi Toraja from Sweet Maria's, Coffee Bean Corral, or TGCBC.com (Alaska), and Kauai decaf from Kauai Coffee Company or TGCBC.  All four of these companies are friendly and helpful via email.

KCC's roasted beans are fresh and consistently roasted, providing a good target to strive for; I had been buying them for several years before getting a roaster.

-- SP
nennafir

Grinder: Bunn LPG-2E
Drip: Bunn Axiom DV TC
Roaster: RK Drums
Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 2:41pm

I also have had a lot of acid reflux (had to have an operation actually where they loop your esophagus around the valve to make it tighter to cut down on the reflux) but the main reason I drink decaf is that caffeinated coffee gives me horrible occular migraines where I feel like I am going blind :D and my whole left visual field becomes garbled/blacked out.

Needless to say, if it is a choice between feeling blind and drinking decaf, I chose the latter!  I am actually pretty healthy otherwise...I don't want to give the impression I am at death's door or anything.

Anyway, I would echo that Sweet Marias decaf is nice.  I think you basically want to choose the more "big bold" roasts and/or bean options, because otherwise the flavor is just gong to be too subtle.  I have had good success home roasting to my taste preference and using drip coffee.

I imagine a french press would give you a more solid taste that might be good, but personally I am not a fan of french presses because of the silt-like feel they can sometimes have.

I am sorely tempted to buy a Trifecta and that is actually the reason I have been browsing the forums lately.  It might let you get more subtle characteristics out of the decaf beans that a normal drip process doesn't allow.  Who knows?

Best of luck!  I think the in the end, you can get not-too-bad decafs these days.  Yes, they aren't OMG-awesome-level but very drinkable even if you are picky like almost all of us on these forums doubtless are.
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 3:54pm

Hi Len,

If it is really acid reflux I suggest that you do more research and experimenting into its cause.  I think it has more to do with dietary indiscretions than with coffee.  I suffer from this and if anything I find that coffee jump starts digestion and gives me some relief when I eat to much and to late.
I have a hernia in my diaphragm which makes me very susceptible to this problem.  It is important to not eat too much before lying down.  Also my doctor explained to me that as my weight goes up the increased fat on my intestine puts more pressure on my stomach pressing it trough the sphincter my diaphragm.

Of coarse if he knew the magnitude of my coffee drinking he would probably be talking about that as well, but I would not be buying it.  To me coffee is the elixir to help nearly anything.

Phil

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Hello.  I have that freakin' acid reflux issue that hits alot of us coffee drinkers.  I had it in the past, before I started roasting.  Now I have it again and it really stinks.

The problem is that I cannot drink caffeinated coffee.  It is the caffeine that causes the reflux, believe it or not.

So I guess what I am asking is do any of you know a great decaf blend that tastes super?  Again, no caffeine, real low in acid, tastes great.

Please let me know.  I am on my 4th day with no coffee at all.  I am past the major headaches, however I have to do a 2 week stretch here.  And afterwards I do not want to go through this again.

NEED GOOD DECAF BAD.  HELP ME ~~~~~~~~~...........

Len
CoffeeRoastersClub.com

Posted May 18, 2006 link

Philip J. Keleshian
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 4:17pm

Recently discussed here, and decaf is not just a simple fix for GERD.  

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/questions/573462

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 4:33pm

PJK Said:

Hi Len,

If it is really acid reflux I suggest that you do more research and experimenting into its cause.  I think it has more to do with dietary indiscretions than with coffee.  I suffer from this and if anything I find that coffee jump starts digestion and gives me some relief when I eat to much and to late.
I have a hernia in my diaphragm which makes me very susceptible to this problem.  It is important to not eat too much before lying down.  Also my doctor explained to me that as my weight goes up the increased fat on my intestine puts more pressure on my stomach pressing it trough the sphincter my diaphragm.

Of coarse if he knew the magnitude of my coffee drinking he would probably be talking about that as well, but I would not be buying it.  To me coffee is the elixir to help nearly anything.

Phil

Posted May 16, 2012 link

Hello Phil.  Looks like an old thread that got active again.  Since my original post I drink just regular coffee again, no decaf.  I try to stick to no more than 4 cups a day. Also I have found that, believe it or not, a cup of mint tea about an hour before bed stops any nightime acid reflux issues.  I was in to a TUMS kick, but found out that caused other digestion issues.  

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Need advice on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.312783956528)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+