Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Separating Bean from Chaff
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Separating Bean...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Psyd
Psyd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Astoria Argenta SAE II,...
Grinder: Rio and Astoria (Mazzer)...
Posted Wed Feb 22, 2006, 12:07pm
Subject: Separating Bean from Chaff

Hey, I'm getting some great coffee custom blended and roasted for me through an ex of a friend of a friend.  I'm paying for greens and shipping and getting a blend and roast designed around what I like in a coffee, so kvetching about some chaff that comes along with is kinda out of the questions.  The guy obviously knows what he's doing (the coffee is enormous) but the stuff comes with more chaff than I can ignore.  What's an easy and clean way to get the stuff to go away?

http://members.cox.net/gearsale/Astoria
 View Profile Link to this post
poison
poison
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra Pro
Grinder: Maestro Plus, Super J deal
Drip: Cone filter
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Wed Feb 22, 2006, 12:19pm
Subject: Re: Separating Bean from Chaff

I roast with a BBQ roaster, and cool with a shop vac which sucks air through the hot beans in a colander. Once cool, I take the exhaust tube and blow air in the reverse through the bottom of the colander through the beans; if I'm not careful, I blow beans everywhere, but if I'm cautious, the chaff flies out (@#!$ing everywhere!!! lol).

I hate chaff. I miss the seperating chamber on the Diedrich roaster.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Psyd
Psyd

Espresso: Astoria Argenta SAE II,...
Grinder: Rio and Astoria (Mazzer)...
Posted Wed Feb 22, 2006, 12:50pm

poison Said:

Once cool, I take the exhaust tube and blow air in the reverse through the bottom of the colander through the beans; if I'm not careful, I blow beans everywhere, but if I'm cautious, the chaff flies out (@#!$ing everywhere!!! lol).

Posted February 22, 2006 link

Now, even my girlfriend has noticed the similarities in the way that you and I think, and its starting to scare both of us just a tiny bit.  I was on my way to get new filters and such for the shop vac for just that kind of experiment, and she was the one that sugested that it'd make a huge mess.  Of course, so far, this is the winning method.  Any other contestants?

http://members.cox.net/gearsale/Astoria
PrincessValiant
PrincessValiant

Drip: Prefer French Press
Roaster: Diedrich IR-12 & an RK Drum
Posted Wed Feb 22, 2006, 8:22pm

When I was roasting on an RK Drum (somewhat sadly a distant memory, since I've just completed my first month on my IR-12) I had a 2ft square frame with stainless steel mesh affixed to the bottom. McMaster Carr has mesh with 6 holes per sq inch, if I recall correctly - just large enough so that peaberries wouldn't fall through but the chaff would. I had 3" tall legs on the cooling tray and sat it on a table - the whole apparatus on the edge of my patio. I used a standing GE fan (as opposed to a table fan) pointing down onto the tray. I'd dump the beans from my 8# RK Drum into the tray and stir with a long handled wooden spoon....enable the chaff to fly off into my yard both through the mesh on the bottom of the frame, and straight out from the beans when I was stirring. It worked like a charm! Roasting in the rain was tough, but I did it for two years....with a pop-up canopy over the whole operation when needed. I did notice that the grass grew a lot quicker with all that composted chaff collecting on it, given the volume I was roasting.

Princess Valiant Coffee, Port Angeles, WA
www.princessvaliant.com
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Wed Feb 22, 2006, 10:07pm

Princess,

That's a great story.  I am glad you have gone from the RK-Drums to the IR-12.  I envy you terribly!  If you recall I sent you an email a long time ago about roasting and selling.  I have been fortunate to become the supplier to a local coffee shop.  It also helps tremendously that I am the sole roaster in my county.  The nearest roaster is over an hour away and with three thriving local retail coffee shops (two of which have expressed great interest in my coffee) I have a great hold on the market.  Right now I am starting out by selling them beans to serve to customers via brewed coffee/espresso with the option to offer bagged coffee beans by the pound.

Some day I plan to step up to a commercial roaster.  I am currently looking at the Ambex company as well as the beloved Diedrich.  Someday I too will live the dream you have.  Congratulations!

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
poison
poison

Posted Thu Feb 23, 2006, 8:49am

Psyd Said:

Now, even my girlfriend has noticed the similarities in the way that you and I think, and its starting to scare both of us just a tiny bit.  I was on my way to get new filters and such for the shop vac for just that kind of experiment, and she was the one that sugested that it'd make a huge mess.  Of course, so far, this is the winning method.  Any other contestants?

Posted February 22, 2006 link

My neighbors can see into my yard; they must think it's hilarious or stupid to see me out there at 9pm, in the cold, roasting coffee in a char broil, and squatting down with a colander in one hand and the vac tube in the other, the eye of a tornado of chaff.

Princess Valiant, nice buy!!! How do you like the Deidrich? Do you find you roast quality/flavor has gone up? How much? I apprenticed on one, and I hope to buy a smaller IR soon. They rock!

TimEggers, ha, you and I are in similar situations! I'm in socal though, so I'm hardly one of a kind like you, but I got a local shop buying my beans, and hope to expand that soon! And I'm sick of the RK; I'd be very happy if it was for my own use, but for a business, I'm not happy with it at all.

Coffeeemergency started the same way. Nice to find others doing the same thing!
scubadoo97
scubadoo97

Espresso: Solis SL70
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: got one of those too
Drip: Aeropress, Clarity, FP,...
Roaster: SC/TO
Posted Thu Feb 23, 2006, 11:37am

my cooling station utilizes  down draft suction.  I cool in a mesh colander and if I stir the beans a bit while cooling the chaff is broken down to a fine powder and sucked through the mesh and out of the colander.  No worry about blowing beans all over the place.
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Thu Feb 23, 2006, 9:45pm

Hey Poison,

Ever use an Ambex?  The price on them is great and I have read many wonderful things about them.  While they are not Diedrich they seem to be a nice alternative.

Thoughts?

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
ThanksALatte

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Astoria
Grinder: Faema
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Ambex
Posted Fri Feb 24, 2006, 4:05am

Tim, I use an Ambex.  Let me know if you have any questions to help you in your decision. (saw your post on another forum as well).
poison
poison

Posted Fri Feb 24, 2006, 10:08am

TimEggers Said:

Hey Poison,

Ever use an Ambex?  The price on them is great and I have read many wonderful things about them.  While they are not Diedrich they seem to be a nice alternative.

Thoughts?

Posted February 23, 2006 link

I hear great things about them, for sure (especially customer service). I roasted a batch on one at CoffeeFest a couple years ago. I personally don't want a digitally controlled unit, so I wouldn't buy one, but I'm not knocking them in the least. The price sure is better.

I'm sold on Deidrich. The one I apprenticed on was the only left handed one they made, and 17 years old. Talk about seasoned! It's simple to use, to repair, to clean, and lasts. The IR series is fuel efficient. And I'm afraid the fact that it's what I learned on plays a huge part in my decision.  I'd consider a Probat, too, but talk about expense.

You might call this guy:

http://web.mac.com/victor.mondry/iWeb/Site

Victor Allen Mondry
Coffee Consulting/ Original V LLC
6890 Paoli Road
Belleville WI  53508
USA

cell 608.695.3910
fax 775.306.7981
victor.mondry@mac.com
aol im:  victor.mondry@mac.com

I spoke with him yesterday, and it's kind of strange: he is sort of an agent for people selling roasters and people buying. He hooks them up. I absolutely do not know him or vouch for him, but I'll definately be calling him when I'm ready to plunk down the cashola. And if you read this, Victor, no offense meant. JUst being cautious.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Separating Bean...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.322223901749)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+