Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Hottop roaster and chaff
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Hottop roaster...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
TampedUp
TampedUp
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Cimbali M30, Elektra Sixties...
Grinder: La Cimbali Junior, Rocky...
Drip: Cuisinart Grind and Brew
Roaster: I-Roast; Hottop
Posted Wed Dec 21, 2005, 8:04pm
Subject: Hottop roaster and chaff

I am looking for how other Hottop roasters deal with the chaff that gets into the beans.  I find that there is a fair amount of chaff that ends up in the beans of the Hottop, especially with larger roasts or beans that through off alot of chaff.  I have been spreading the beans out in the cooling pan and blowing on them to remove the chaff.  This is tedious and does not remove all of the chaff.  Do any readers have other solutions?  Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
stash
stash
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Botticelli II, Bialetti...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zass 169DG
Vac Pot: Yama, Bodum eSantos
Drip: Presto Scandi
Roaster: Hottop & I-Roast
Posted Wed Dec 21, 2005, 8:12pm
Subject: Re: Hottop roaster and chaff

Whirl and twirl in a plastic collander.

I am actually surprised the Hottop removes chaff as well as it does, considering the slow tumbling action.  But compared to an i-Roast, it definitely does leave more chaff behind.   That is why I put the beans in a collander after the cooling cycle and stir and toss them up a bit before storing.  It works especially well if you are outside on a windy day.  This is something I do not have to do with my i-Roast, but then I generally prefer the extra body the Hottop imparts.

I need to add that the above method will not work well if you roast really dark and oily.  I don't think you will have any luck removing excess chaff from oily beans.
mike01

Espresso: Izzo Alex
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Vario-W
Vac Pot: Yama Stovetop
Drip: Bunn Trifecta
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Wed Dec 21, 2005, 10:59pm

I really don't worry about the chaff left behind in the beans.  I don't think there is enough chaff to affect the flavor of the coffee.
k7qz

Espresso: Elektra A3 & Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Kony & Mini E
Vac Pot: Cona, Hario
Drip: What's that?
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Thu Dec 22, 2005, 8:02am

I use a metal (stainless) collander (helps cool the beans better than a plastic one for me), dump in the roasted beans from the cooling tray and I tilt the collander to about 30 or 40 degrees.  Then as above "whirl and twirl" in a "panning for gold" motion.  Most of the chaff seems to filter out through the holes in the sides and bottom of the collander.  For the remainder of the chaff, gently blowing on the beans while twirling seems to get essentially all of of the remaining chaff.  You can also roll the beans through your hands (like you do when mixing/blending green beans) and this seems to work chaff out through the collander holes as well.  It sounds like a big production here per my description, but it only takes a minute or two to do.  Oh BTW, it's probably obvious but do this outside rather than in your kitchen as the chaff seems to go everywhere...
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Hottop roaster...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.227178096771)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+