Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Tell about your frustrations with "To-Go" cups
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Tell about your...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
RossResearch

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Sep 17, 2004, 10:30am
Subject: Tell about your frustrations with "To-Go" cups

Hi, I'm doing research in a design class and I was wondering what people dislike/like about the "to-go" coffee cups you get when you're on the run. This includes the cup, lid, and insulator thingy. Feel free to rant about all your dislikes! I'm in a group which is doing a mock re-designing of a "to-go" cup so any feel free to give any suggestions in order to improve a "to-go" cup. Discussion on this topic is very appreciated! Thank You!

Ross
 View Profile Link to this post
spinnaker007
spinnaker007
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Sep 17, 2004, 10:44am
Subject: Re: Tell about your frustrations with "To-Go" cups

What size?  Tall?  Grande?? Venti??? Or somethin like this??? Oh, man, I never get tired of this scarysquirrel...
Tennisfox
Tennisfox

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Rocky DL
Drip: French Press & Krups
Posted Fri Sep 17, 2004, 11:43am

Keep it simple.  Whatever names are used, it works out to be "small, medium and large".  Why not avoid all the other fancy names.  As for cups, I feel that the best coffee comes in paper cups.  Plastic seems to give off a taste that I do not care for.  The very small paper espresso cups that are used seem to work well.  As for lids, I prefer the lid that already has the hole in it as opposed to having to rip out a section of the cup.  

Lew
Lefty69

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Capresso...
Vac Pot: B&D Infuze
Drip: Melitta Clarity,
Roaster: GG/SC Combo, Behmor
Posted Fri Sep 17, 2004, 1:32pm

spinnaker007 Said:

What size?  Tall?  Grande?? Venti??? Or somethin like this??? Oh, man, I never get tired of this scarysquirrel...

Posted September 17, 2004 link

I'm with you steve, Foamy rocks!!!
expobar

Posted Fri Sep 17, 2004, 1:42pm

I despise to go cups, everything about them.  First there's the problem with the cup, 2nd my beliefs.

(1) Paper cups leave a papery flavor, which I think is just plain nasty.  Who wants paper in their coffee?  Then there's styrofoam, same problem only a plasticy flavor.  I think the cups when they don't have lids are uncomfortable/awkward to drink out of, and with lids it's just not the same (especially with foamy drinks).  

(2)People are supposed to enjoy coffee.  It's become something more of a reference to caffeine and fatigue than a wonderful beverage.  When I drink coffee, I want to enjoy the flavor of the coffee, the nuances that you can't find in sodas.  I drink coffee in my trusty (ceramic) Peets mug at home.  If I must have coffee in a styrofoam/paper cup, I debate with myself the point of paying $1.50 for a cup of plasticy coffee.

I drink my coffee fast (I guess, I can go through about 3 cups of coffee in the amount of time it takes someone to drink one iced coffee) so I really have no complaints about insulation of my cup.
magnulus

Posted Fri Sep 17, 2004, 9:08pm

Styrefoam for coffee is best.   Nuts to political correctness.
jrtATL
jrtATL

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Mazzer Jolly; Cunill...
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: Drum on a Weber grill; HG/DB
Posted Fri Sep 17, 2004, 10:20pm

I vote for styro, but I don't see it in many coffee houses.

What I HATE about paper cups are the ones where there is a "fold" or "crease" that extends over the lip of the cup.  These paper cups will leak no matter how well you put the top on, because the crease extends all the way through the lip of the cup.  I've only seen these in two coffee houses, but I really hope no one else decides to stock them.

JT

"I've appeared before every court in the state.  Often as a lawyer." - Lionel Hutz, Esq.
spinnaker007
spinnaker007

Posted Mon Sep 20, 2004, 9:32am

Hi Eric,

How do you like your Mezzo cappa cups so far?  I like mine, they are the workhorses over here...The scary squirrel never gets old for me. When I need a laugh, I just play the clips...

Cheers,

Steve
drsmith

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Mr Coffee
Grinder: Crank by hand
Vac Pot: n/a
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hearthware prec.; Whirley...
Posted Sun Sep 26, 2004, 7:50am

jrtATL Said:

What I HATE about paper cups are the ones where there is a "fold" or "crease" that extends over the lip of the cup.  These paper cups will leak no matter how well you put the top on, because the crease extends all the way through the lip of the cup.  I've only seen these in two coffee houses, but I really hope no one else decides to stock them.

Posted September 17, 2004 link

That's why I always put the lid on opposite the seam.  I've had too many of them leak right were the seam is, and if the seam happens to be right under where you put your mouth, it just makes a huge mess.  This is a bigger problem with the formed plastic lids that dome over the top of the cup so you aren't drinking from the lip of the cup.

Of course, the other lids(where you rip out a section) are very awkward to drink a hot beverage from.  In those cases, I'd rather just remove the lid entirely, but then there's nothing supporting the top of the cup.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Tell about your...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.301020860672)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+