Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Caffeine
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Caffeine  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
evfrosine

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun May 18, 2014, 6:48am
Subject: Caffeine

Hello,
Does anyone know how long caffeine stays in your body? The references I've seen say it has a half life of 5 hours, which means to me it stays around 8 hours. However, all the references I've read are pretty old. Any current information out there? Lately, my sleep is being interrupted but I've been drinking coffee for so many years, I find it hard to believe it could be a problem. Also, there's a lot of back and forth about the health implications of coffee. Does anyone know the latest thoughts?
 View Profile Link to this post
Buckley

Posted Sun May 18, 2014, 7:24am
Subject: Re: Caffeine

Dear Evfrosine,

That half-life figure you refer to is most likely blood levels.  Without formally studying the pharmacology of caffeine, I suspect that it distributes in other body compartments, as well, where it is broken down slower.
In support of this hypothesis, I offer the following anecdotes:
People who were affected by pruritis ani caused by caffeine (please refer to my old post "Pruritis Ani - an undesirable effect of caffeine") found relief when they stopped drinking coffee, but sometimes it took about 5 days for the effect of caffeine to wear off.
People who experience caffeine-withdrawal headaches sometimes report a period of several days to a week before the headaches subside.
When I go on a long retreat, coffee is not supplied by the monastery and I notice that it takes a week for my arousal level to calm down.

Buckley
evfrosine

Posted Sun May 18, 2014, 1:57pm

Hi Buckley,
Well, I've been off caffeine for about a week, but I deduce from your post that I haven't given my body enough time to eliminate all the caffeine. I've switched to decaf for the week but I guess I should stay on it for another week or two. I don't really notice any effect from drinking either hi test or the decaf, but I don't drink a lot either. Up until now, for several years, my practice has been to have a cup before bedtime and it has never bothered me. I'll stay with decaf and see if that regimen makes a difference.

Thanks for your post.
Mary
wabbitt
wabbitt

Espresso: stovetop pots,aeropress
Grinder: skerton, SoloGrind
Drip: melitta cone, chemex
Posted Sun May 18, 2014, 3:21pm

You do realize that decaf isn't totally caffeine free, don't you?   It is very low in caffeine, yes, but it still has measureable levels.  It could still bother some people who are sensitive to caffeine.  The other thing is your grinder.  Unless you're using a grinder dedicated to decaf, or you're washing the burrs & cleaning out the grinder after regular beans, you have some caffeinated coffee in your cup from that.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
evfrosine

Posted Mon May 19, 2014, 12:20pm

Thanks for your reminder. I do know that decaf isn't caffeine free, but it's the closest I can get to a cup of coffee. Being lazy these days, I'm drinking Pete's decaf, pre-ground, to see how it works. The mayo clinic says that decaf has 2-12 mg of caffeine as opposed to 95-200 mg for caffeinated. I don't think there's anything out there with no caffeine. I'll give it a couple of weeks and then reevaluate.
DavecUK

Posted Mon May 19, 2014, 4:15pm

Buckley Said:

People who were affected by pruritis ani caused by caffeine (please refer to my old post "Pruritis Ani - an undesirable effect of caffeine") found relief when they stopped drinking coffee, but sometimes it took about 5 days for the effect of caffeine to wear off.
Buckley

Posted May 18, 2014 link

I think it would have been easier/clearer to call it an "Itchy Arse"...I've actually heard of that.
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Wed May 21, 2014, 4:44pm

According to some of my medical info, the average half-life is 5 hours. It varies from person to person, as obviously so does the sensitivity of someone to caffeine.

As far as decaf, my understanding is that it has a few percent of caf. To me, that has always meant that the amount is pretty trivial, and I've always assumed it has no significant effect.

I have a mild tendency toward insomnia and usually switch to decaf after 2 or 3 PM (though today ( couldn't resist and had a small cup at 4:30.
evfrosine

Posted Thu May 22, 2014, 6:47am

I feel the same way about the percentage of caffeine in decaf, but I got my doctor's license at Walmart :-) Why not just stick to decaf all the time? Does the caffeine give you a noticeable boost?
PlatoOtaku504

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu May 22, 2014, 10:12am

Caffeine takes anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to have an effect in those who don't have tolerance for it. Our bodies tend to stabilize at a level of caffeine, and essentially becomes inert to its effects, and all stimulatory effects are illusory. Click Here (www.nature.com)

So, that "pick me up" is just the reverse of caffeine withdrawal or just restoring you to normal, well-rested alertness.

More to the question: the best you can not do is drink a highly caffeinated cup of Joe late in the evening, anywhere from 6 to 3 hours before you go to sleep. It's been shown to objectively reduce sleep time, and can have insomnia consequences. http://www.aasmnet.org/jcsm/ViewAbstract.aspx?pid=29198
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu May 22, 2014, 4:50pm

Take a look at the Jawbone Up IOS App which is meant to track your caffeine ingestion and help you understand how it affects your sleep.  It's free to use and can be used without the hardware device, but I haven't tried it out.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Caffeine  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.256297111511)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+