Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Find A Quality Bean
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Find A Quality...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 7:39am
Subject: Re: Find A Quality Bean

Here's a link to the Arabica varietal origins chart Ray imported from Google.  You can expand it to your heart's content.

Ray,

Words like "species" have precise meanings.  It's very difficult to follow your train of thought if you don't make an effort to use words according to their meanings.  There's no such thing as "in my slang," either.  The best thing would have been to say, "sorry," and explain what you meant.

Please consider changing your biography entry from "professional" to something else.  While you might be some other sort of professional, you're clearly not a "coffee professional" and the description seems pretentious.  You're obviously very new to espresso.  I appreciate your enthusiasm and consider most of what you have to say as questions which are based on "revelations" you experience as you begin your journey on the trail that is espresso.  

Describing beans by their countries of origins, particularly "Sumatran," doesn't convey much information to your readers.  There are a lot of different beans grown in Sumatra (nearly all of one sort or another of Arabica, mostly Typica), each affected by type, micro-climate, agricultural practices, shade cover, altitude, processing, etc.  

Typical Sumatran beans were popular in specialty coffee, for their mouthfeel, body, and for their generic "coffee" flavor profile, and the way they took on roast flavor profiles (chocolate, nuts).  They were good candidates for deep (i.e., "dark") roasting and as the "base" bean in blends.  

However, as the "third wave," came in, buyers, roasters, and consumers learned more about origins in terms of micro-regions, individual farmers, etc.; and the styles of roasting and consumption moved towards lighter roasts and more SOs (single origin coffees). On top of that, buyers visiting Sumatra noted that the agricultural and processing practices were lousy.

It wouldn't be fair to say that Sumatran coffees completely disappeared from the high-end, but they weren't nearly as popular as they had been when dark roasts and anonymous Italian style blends ruled the roost.  More recently though, a few Sumatran producers improved their methods and started shipping some very good beans.  

The origin is worthy of some consideration.  If one of my greens suppliers tells me he's got something I'll like, I wouldn't dismiss the suggestion out of hand.  But if you're looking for a great bean, the word "Sumatran" is no more a guarantee than the word "Brazilian."  

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
gracie89

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri May 16, 2014, 1:48am

cerridwyn Said:

I never new Sumatran was a species.

Posted May 11, 2014 link

lool..so did I.. ;)
 View Profile Link to this post
TheCoffeePeople76
TheCoffeePeople76
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Fri May 16, 2014, 3:07am

Sorry I Dont Speak English Guys.

I always get into this trouble on forums.
RayTCoffeeGuy
RayTCoffeeGuy
Posted Mon Jun 30, 2014, 7:19am

Geez, Thats a cultivar

And thanks for Mr.Bean-ing the thread XD.

Only true passion and expertise will make the best coffee.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Find A Quality...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.247201919556)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+