Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Perfect Coffee - Did you get on as an alpha tester?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Perfect Coffee -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Wed Apr 23, 2014, 7:39pm
Subject: Perfect Coffee - Did you get on as an alpha tester?

If yes, have you got your samples yet? And what did you think?

I tried some, it was a Blue Bottle Ethiopia Sidama Homacho Waeno. Labeled as one serving for french press. Once serving is made with 2 2/3 cups of water!

Initial smell as I opened the package. It didn't smell stale.

Grind was incredibly even. Almost looked like it came out of a commercial can.

I used the technique on the label, at least to start. It said wet the coffee, stir 4 times. Let sit a minute then add the rest of the water, wait 4 minutes.

Plunging the press was too easy. No resistance at all. Coffee color looked a bit weak, so here is where I messed up. I stirred it some more and let it sit another minute. That was dumb on my part and I know better. It still looked weak. Tasted over extracted, which it was. There were no fines really at all in the cup. It had a bit of the pressed heaviness to it, but not as much as expected.

The grounds did not stay stirred in the water at all. They quickly settled to the bottom, more so than I am used to (maybe because normally I can't get that even of a grind since I grind by hand.)

I will try another pot. I shared my bounty with a friend and will be curious what he thinks.

I'm also interested if anyone picked the Bonavita 2 servings, and what they are defining as 2 servings. I didn't expect a 20 ounce French press to be considered 1 serving.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sweaner
sweaner

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Thu Apr 24, 2014, 9:29am
Subject: Re: Perfect Coffee - Did you get on as an alpha tester?

I too am an alpha tester. I found the coffee to be quite good. I also got the Blue Bottle, and one other. I then did a survey which allowed me to get 4 more free. I decided to get all the same coffee, which I am trying on a weekly basis to see how it holds up over a month. Each bag has about 38 grams, which is good for 2 cups in my Trifecta.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
 View Profile Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Apr 24, 2014, 1:05pm

I am in on this too. Like Scott, I ordered 2 and then 4 more after the survey. I picked these for the Bonavita:

Chromatic Kenya Kakuyuni
Blue Bottle Ethiopia Sidama Homacho Waeno
Chromatic Ethiopia Kochere
Blue Bottle Three Africans
Blue Bottle Giant Steps
Chromatic Keynote

Looking forward to trying these!

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Thu Apr 24, 2014, 6:40pm

How much is the Bonavita 2 servings actually make?

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Thu Apr 24, 2014, 9:38pm

cerridwyn Said:

Posted April 24, 2014 link

As sweaner mentioned, you usually get in the vicinity of 35-40 g. worth of coffee for Bonavita, so stretch it as you see fit; the recipes vary by roaster/coffee IIRC. Right, the one press grind pack I received did contain more coffee than I expected (probably about the same amount).

I've gone through 6 packs of this stuff already. The grind, freshness, and cup quality have all been fairly impressive. I did have a chance to compare [informally, imperfectly] with whole-bean samples for two of their coffees, and I can't say the pre-ground trailed by much.

For my first cup of the day, brewed quickly on the fly way too early, Perfect is a nice option to mix in occasionally--especially since I often pre-grind my own coffee the night before anyway and store in a Ball jar for that first cup. Anyway, I've got an order in for a few more packs, and I'm sure I'll add to that once Perfect releases their Stumptown offerings. I've enjoyed getting a chance to sample coffees on the cheap from Blue Bottle and Chromatic in particular. Chromatic is now on my list of roasters to order from directly before long.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Sat May 10, 2014, 1:36pm

I tried the Chromatic Coffee Co. Ethiopia Kochere from Perfect Coffee yesterday. Nice aroma, no staleness I could detect. The cup was medium bodied with decent acidity - not super bright but definitely noticeable. The finish was a nice dark cocoa that became more intense as the cup cooled. I haven't tried this one fresh ground so I have no basis for comparison. That said, I really enjoyed what the pack brewed.

Thanks Perfect Coffee for the sample - more reviews to come!

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Sat May 10, 2014, 2:38pm

cerridwyn Said:

Posted April 24, 2014 link

The directions on the packs call for 500 to 600 ml of water - so half a pot maybe?

Up next is Blue Bottle Company Three Africans from Perfect Coffee. I get a really great melon and caramel aroma when I open the pack. Sparkly citrus acidity in the cup. Not as much body or sweetness in the black tea like finish as the Chromatic Coffee Co. Ethiopia Kochere but offers more complex flavors. Again, I haven't tried this one fresh ground so I have no basis for comparison but it’s still a great pot.

Thanks again Perfect Coffee for the sample - more reviews to come!

EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 3:45am

Today’s pot is Chromatic Coffee Co. Kenya Kakuyuni from Perfect Coffee brewed with 600 ml water in the Bonavita BV-1800. My nose meets sweet caramel and nutty aromas when cutting open the pack. With the first taste I get a great citrus acidity that lingers even through the bakers chocolate finish. This isn’t tea-like with medium to full body and a strong, lasting taste. Delicious cup!

Thanks again Perfect Coffee for the sample - more reviews to come!

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Perfect Coffee -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.258692026138)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+