Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Anyone Temporarily Abstain Just to Make Coffee Effect You More Again?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Anyone...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
CoffeeIV

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 8:10am
Subject: Anyone Temporarily Abstain Just to Make Coffee Effect You More Again?

So I've been drinking like 20 cups of coffee a day for years. But 5 years ago I gave it up for only 3-5 days (can't remember). When I drank my next cup of coffee I was completely jacked for hours.  The effect was great.

Coffee tastes great, but most of us probably drink it primarily for it's effects. Do any of you go without it for scheduled amount of time just to make it more effective when you do drink it? I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to abstain for a week every now and then.
 View Profile Link to this post
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 8:34am
Subject: Re: Anyone Temporarily Abstain Just to Make Coffee Effect You More Again?

CoffeeIV Said:

Coffee tastes great, but most of us probably drink it primarily for it's effects.

Posted April 17, 2014 link

Actually, no, I don't drink it for its effects...  I only have a couple shots of espresso a day, and can have a couple of shots just before bedtime without any worries.  (If it's robusta beans that sometimes is a different story.)

Why don't to you take a day off on the weekend or take one select day per week off?  Seriously... 20 cups of coffee per day???  I don't drink that amount of water per day unless your cups are all demitasse.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 8:52am
Subject: Re: Anyone Temporarily Abstain Just to Make Coffee Effect You More Again?

CoffeeIV Said:

So I've been drinking like 20 cups of coffee a day for years. But 5 years ago I gave it up for only 3-5 days (can't remember). When I drank my next cup of coffee I was completely jacked for hours.  The effect was great.

Coffee tastes great, but most of us probably drink it primarily for it's effects. Do any of you go without it for scheduled amount of time just to make it more effective when you do drink it? I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to abstain for a week every now and then.

what... how is that even possible, 20 cups of coffee a day?!?! lol, I do a couple shots sometimes, maybe a cup or two if using drip. But 20 a day, I imagine you'd be crapping your brains out 24/7, normal work sched thats over 2 cups every hour.

I work out and lift weights and can't even drink that amount of water in a day, let alone with two protein shakes and eating.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 9:05am

A few years ago, I would drink a 2L air pot at work and about 4 double shots at home. Mostly now I drink the doubles and a couple of cups at work.
It has NEVER been for the side affects for me, I like the taste, that is why I drink coffee.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 9:13am

I have known plenty of people to make and drink 4-5 pots of coffee a day however I would not call what they drink anything but a coffee flavored beverage.i may not care for Starbucks coffee but it is a good example of a high caffeine cup of coffee, around 180 mg per 8oz cup. 3600mg of caffeine is an awful big dependency.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 9:17am

I have heard of people doing 9 shots of espresso in a row (at Starbucks).  First thought is what a waste of money.  However every vice has its abusers.  I used to drink over 2 pots of coffee a day before I started roasting.  2 pots of folgers, chock full of nuts, whatever was cheapest.  

To go direct to your question, yes I used to drink coffee mostly for its effects.  When you are working tons of hours a day and getting only about 4 hours sleep a night then you need to do something to stay awake.  And yes after a while the caffeine would have less affect so I would stop drinking it for a few days and get a splitting headache from the withdrawal.  Then I would start drinking it again and the next few cups would really give a boost.  Cycle repeat.

You may wish to really cut back on the 20 cups and try to stay within 6 cups at the most per day.  Your kidneys, heart, and bladder will surely appreciate it.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
CoffeeIV

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 9:42am

By 20 cups i mean what the coffee pot considers a cup. So this only equates to 2 pots of (10-cup coffee pot) a day. When you pour coffee into a starbucks-tall sized container that's actually a lot of cups.
I forced myself to not drink more than 2 pots of coffee many yrs ago just so I'd have a limit.. otherwise i'd prob be pourin all day.

If you guys still think this is a mega ton of coffee then let me know and i'll prob reduce the amount.

I love coffee taste.. but I mainly like the whole hot-caffeinated-beverage thing giving me energy and if i'm lucky making me break a bit of a sweat lol. I get more energetic when warm for some reason.

Edit: I just remembered my current coffee pot is only 8 cups. So 16 cups a day  (Bonavita)
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 10:50am

CoffeeIV Said:

If you guys still think this is a mega ton of coffee then let me know and i'll prob reduce the amount.

Edit: I just remembered my current coffee pot is only 8 cups. So 16 cups a day  (Bonavita)

I still think it's alot of coffee.  6oz x 8 cup pot x 2 pots = 96oz of brewed coffee.  That's 3 quarts!

The real question is how much coffee do you put in your filter for a single pot?  Some people drink it like tea and others like mud along with everything in between.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 11:22am

CoffeeIV Said:

By 20 cups i mean what the coffee pot considers a cup. So this only equates to 2 pots of (10-cup coffee pot) a day. When you pour coffee into a starbucks-tall sized container that's actually a lot of cups.
I forced myself to not drink more than 2 pots of coffee many yrs ago just so I'd have a limit.. otherwise i'd prob be pourin all day.

I love coffee taste.. but I mainly like the whole hot-caffeinated-beverage thing giving me energy and if i'm lucky making me break a bit of a sweat lol. I get more energetic when warm for some reason.

How old are you?  As you get older excessive caffeine can cause a slew of problems; i.e. acid reflux, palpitations, diarrhea, high blood pressure.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
SproBro

Espresso: CC1 v1.5
Grinder: Compak K10PB, Vario
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 12:42pm

I drink one double (latte) in the morning, and one or two doubles in the afternoon (a strait and a short milk drink usually). I do take breaks, about 1 or 2 per month. Not because of the caffeine so much as just sort of a flavor "reset". Even drinking the same coffee its like I notice things that my brain has "muted" out after drinking the same roast, and coffee in general, just by going one whole day without it.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Anyone...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.322353124619)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+