Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Store bought coffee reccomendation
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Store bought...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Coffeegrl

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 10:18am
Subject: Store bought coffee reccomendation

I know this is sacrilegious, but here goes...

My family loves dark, boldly flavored (think tobacco and dirt) and NON CITRUS flavored coffee.  There are 8 of us and the adults drink freshly ground beans in French Press....essentially Sumatras.    I also have a moka pot and sometimes I'd like to have something that I can share with my teens.   I just want something a little cheaper.   I did myself in sharing my coffee with my then teens a number of years ago and ended up going through coffee like water.   I have also had Ethiopians and a Mexican chiapas that I've liked.

I've tried some brands and they taste like a lemon was squeezed into them.
Some taste just nasty
Some are palatable, but the flavor isn't strong enough.  

I can drink Maxwell House black.
Folgers is absolutely revolting and served everywhere.
S&D is just awful (I don't live too far from there and so I've had a lot!!)
Cafe Bustelo is weak, but citrusy
I ordered some Gevalia years ago and while some were palatable, they were all too weak.
My inlaws sent us coffee that you can buy in store, but they bought in Hawaii where it was made.....my kids liked it, but I could not tolerate it.

I was thinking of the new Lavazza (Gran Selezzione)
or
a Community Coffee

Any ideas what I might like?
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 12:25pm
Subject: Re: Store bought coffee reccomendation

Coffeegrl Said:

I know this is sacrilegious, but here goes...

My family loves dark, boldly flavored (think tobacco and dirt) and NON CITRUS flavored coffee.  There are 8 of us and the adults drink freshly ground beans in French Press....essentially Sumatras.    I also have a moka pot and sometimes I'd like to have something that I can share with my teens.   I just want something a little cheaper.   I did myself in sharing my coffee with my then teens a number of years ago and ended up going through coffee like water.   I have also had Ethiopians and a Mexican chiapas that I've liked.

I've tried some brands and they taste like a lemon was squeezed into them.
Some taste just nasty
Some are palatable, but the flavor isn't strong enough.  

I can drink Maxwell House black.
Folgers is absolutely revolting and served everywhere.
S&D is just awful (I don't live too far from there and so I've had a lot!!)
Cafe Bustelo is weak, but citrusy
I ordered some Gevalia years ago and while some were palatable, they were all too weak.
My inlaws sent us coffee that you can buy in store, but they bought in Hawaii where it was made.....my kids liked it, but I could not tolerate it.

I was thinking of the new Lavazza (Gran Selezzione)
or
a Community Coffee

Any ideas what I might like?

Posted April 3, 2014 link

Sounds like your pallet prefers freshly roasted specialty coffee.  Have you looked at any local coffee shops in your area?  Some roasters if they sell freshly roasted coffee onsite may even be able to offer you a bean or blend you are asking for. They may even go the distance and roast it to your liking.  A good cheaper origin that tastes good all around is Brazil.  I've had MANY different Brazil's from many different suppliers either roasted fresh to order or roasted myself and all of them weren't a disappointment. They are usually roasted medium to dark with lots good body and sweetness.  Also very versatile when brewing differently and are usually the cheaper coffee on the shelf.  Depending on where you are located ordering from online vendors may be beneficial too.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 1:44pm

Coffeegrl Said:

I know this is sacrilegious, but here goes

It's unfortunate some of the fundamentalist coffeegeek faction makes you think discussing grocery store coffee is sacrilege.

I have actually had some decent cups from the Eight O'Clock brand. I'd give it a try.

Also remember that someone here (maybe on H-B, maybe Jim Schulman) discovered that quality roasted coffee (fresh, artisan-roasted) actually tasted WORSE than supermarket coffee when brewed with standard home coffeemaker gear. SO depending on your equipment you might get better results.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheRealScubaSteve
TheRealScubaSteve

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 1:57pm

Green Mountain is the big supermarket coffee around here - it's OK. Many like Newman's Own to be pretty good. I think McDonald's serves one of their blends if you have not had it. I saw something on TV about them serving a free small coffee until such and such date. What do you classify as "cheaper?" That might help people narrow down some selections for you - fresh or otherwise.

"But it is not a perfect world and none of us are god-shots.  As for me, I am a little over extracted and therefore slightly bitter and my crema is thin..." -Buckley
psuguy0412

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 4:45pm

Caribou Obsidian is wonderful--give that a try.

Another good one is Emeril's Big Easy Bold.
TheRealScubaSteve
TheRealScubaSteve

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Thu Apr 3, 2014, 9:19pm

dana_leighton Said:

Also remember that someone here (maybe on H-B, maybe Jim Schulman) discovered that quality roasted coffee (fresh, artisan-roasted) actually tasted WORSE than supermarket coffee when brewed with standard home coffeemaker gear. SO depending on your equipment you might get better results.

That's interesting. Do you happen to know the link? I have a Keurig that rarely gets any use anymore. When I purchased an Ethiopian from Fair Mountain and didn't at all like it for espresso, I tried it in the refillable filter thing-a-ma-bob for the Keurigs and it made a wonderful cup of coffee after some putting the filter inside of a used K-cup with the top cut off so that it drains slower (otherwise it's gross bath water). I ended up getting an aeropress and preferred the Keurig method until I was able to get a good dose down.

"But it is not a perfect world and none of us are god-shots.  As for me, I am a little over extracted and therefore slightly bitter and my crema is thin..." -Buckley
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014, 7:01am

You may favor a Sumatra, it tends to have more dark notes, chocolate, cocoa, etc. I too tend to not like brighter coffee as much, to each their own, we all like different things.

As Dana said, home equipment tends to brew store coffee better than it does specialty coffee, they tend to brew on the cold side and as such they tend to mask or not extract as much of the off flavors from store bought pre ground coffee. The flip side is that they tend to not brew specialty coffee properly and can give poor results too.

Properly roasted, fresh and properly brewed coffee is wonderful but I have had acceptable (read drinkable) brews from the Kureg style brewers, when traveling, in a motel room, the Kcup machine is always a welcome thing for me to see vs a old style drip machine in a room with a foil sealed bag of grinds inside the filter cone.

It has been years though since I have used anything from a supermarket so as to which brand to buy, I am little help. Do pay attention to proper brewing ratio though, a "cup" in one drip machine is not the same as in a different machine and is yet again different to a measuring cup "cup" Oz of water is a better guide as at least it is the same every place you go. Use weight of ground coffee vs a scoop. Again "scoops" can be different too though I seem to recall that they were supposed to be "standardized" to a tablespoon but I am unsure of the actual size.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeNark

Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014, 10:11am

dana_leighton Said:

I have actually had some decent cups from the Eight O'Clock brand. I'd give it a try.

I like their Columbian Peaks variety and you can get an 11 oz bag for about $5.00 at Target.  Take another $1.00 off when you come across their $1.00 coupons.  Yes, I enjoy trying the offerings from my local roasters but to me, this is a good coffee also.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014, 11:53am

dana_leighton Said:

Dana, funny you mentioned this, because there was another thread recently where someone was having a heck of a time getting coffee he liked from artisan beans on his department store level drip machine. I think he eventuially came to the same conclusion.

I don't do drip myself anymore, but my Mom uses some of the Peet's blends, which are now rather common in grocery stores in many parts of the US.  She really goes for super strong black coffee and has an affinity for their Major Dickason's Blend, which I belive is described as mid-low acidity and full body. Sorry, I don't know what the tasting notes are.  I also don't know how much it costs, but it may be worth looking into.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Sat Apr 5, 2014, 2:31pm

Years ago I experienced trying to get better coffee using my 'trusty' Krups auto-drip with fresh roasted beans---ground at the roaster's store, I stored air-tight and brewed the next morning---YUK, not good at all. Didn't have a clue then, I had no idea about proper brew temps, etc. 'Those' brewer temps are too low BUT brew longer so that may be how/why some pre-ground grocery store coffees do brew up ok. As mentioned here too, you can't brew typical big major brand store coffee in TV, BV, etc without bringing out unwanted 'flavors', due to higher brew temps. I think (from my personal experience late 2012) that what's in those cans of MH, Folgers, etc is NOT what used to be---however 'dishwater' it was, it did have a coffee smell/taste but not anymore. If buying coffee in the grocery store, I'd at least stick with brands mentioned here to try.

Always good to hear what others here have tried with some success, word-of-mouth is a good thing.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Store bought...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.301061868668)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+