Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Been playing with Cold Brew
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Been playing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014, 9:13am
Subject: Been playing with Cold Brew

using my pint ball jars, 14g of coffee and 10 oz of water, steeped 24 hours in the fridge. Even the S.O. Summatra I have right now is so smooth like this. Did try the counter as saw some people mention that, didn't like it though, tasted odd vs steeping in the fridge. Notice though Cold Brew is best as is, nothing added, no syrup, no sweetener. I like a little splenda when I make iced coffee with the CC1 (ice, espresso, milk)... but using sweetener makes it taste weird in cold brew and not in a good way, and not a fan of ice in the cold brew either. Pour it in a tumbler with some ice and didn't like the taste, pour in a shortball glass and it was great. No milk either, not sure why, but I've done it before, and feel like Cold Brew is best as-is, nothing added. Anyone else feel the same?

Oh yeh and comparing the Preciso and Hario Mini, Preciso is far better for coarse, way less fines production and way better consistency as I poured the jars over a strainer into a measuring up and then poured into a container with a rigged drip filter. Don't get me wrong, Hario is better than nothing for sure and I travel with it, but there was a big difference between it and the Preciso. I have mine modded as well to be more stable on the coarse end.
 View Profile Link to this post
Manitobanerd
Manitobanerd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Cafe Roma
Grinder: Hario & blade grinder
Vac Pot: Moka express
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014, 2:46pm
Subject: Re: Been playing with Cold Brew

Cold brew is one of my most used methods, even when its 30 degrees below zero (Im in Canada)! Ive found cold brew makes some cheap pre ground coffees very drinkable (like Dunkin Donuts coffee for example).I usually steep for around 20 hours with a fine grind, usually medium roast then filter using my pour over. I usually dilute the coffee concentrate with half milk/half concentrate, with no syrups or sweetners.
TheRealScubaSteve
TheRealScubaSteve
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014, 4:50pm

I put a tiny bit of Splenda and milk in my cold brew. I have only made it twice, but I agree that it makes stale coffee pretty palatable. I got a number of Starbucks gift cards for Christmas (having previously enjoyed their "coffee") and buy beans now and again just to use up the balance. I found that cold brew actually makes a pretty nice cup with the beans whereas hot brewing does not. I'm far from scientific but a steep for closer to 24 hours seems to yield the best results thus far.

"But it is not a perfect world and none of us are god-shots.  As for me, I am a little over extracted and therefore slightly bitter and my crema is thin..." -Buckley
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Mon Apr 7, 2014, 4:12pm

Yama Ice Drip Tower = Awesome!

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Manitobanerd
Manitobanerd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Cafe Roma
Grinder: Hario & blade grinder
Vac Pot: Moka express
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014, 9:31am

Nowadays, since I have an espresso machine, I find it much easier to just make a couple shots of espresso, mix with cold water, and add ice. This way is much easier than waiting 20 hours for cold brew.
DanniDoo

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon May 12, 2014, 10:26pm

Global Organic Coffee have this cold brew pot for cheap as. Me and my flat mates love it. Especially in Summer. I recommend it to everyone. You should check them out!
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue May 13, 2014, 7:48am

I've recently been experimenting with cold brew coffee brewed cold too. First espresso then with press then finally with pour over.  I found brewing a slow pour over with ice in the cup to immediately cool the coffee worked the best.  I found half ice to half water ratio works the best and still leaves a good amount of ice in the cup.  I've really been enjoying some Cuban coffee iced. I tried the press the day before letting it steep over night and found the coffee to be to bitter.  I'm gonna stick with iced pour over.  

For a 12 oz cup I used 20g fine ground, 6 ice cubes in the cup and ran 6 oz through the filter.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Tue May 13, 2014, 8:20am

Burner0000 Said:

I've recently been experimenting with cold brew too. First espresso then with press then finally with pour over...

Posted May 13, 2014 link

Hi Chris,

Please don't take offense at the correction, but FYI:  Pouring hot brew over ice isn't cold brew.

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue May 13, 2014, 9:49am

Sorry......  "Iced Coffee".
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 2:35am

Too many coffee bars jumping on the cold brew band wagon...

I've only been able to find ONE location that actually make a decent cold brew. The rest has been ridiculous. To call them anything but swill would be inaccurate. I've been so disappointed so man times I no longer bother to try.

It seems to me there is much more to cold brew than just throwing grinds into cold water, and that the guys jumping on the cold brew band wagon seem to think that's all it takes.  I wonder if these folks actually drink this stuff on their own.   To make a good brew, I don't think the hot brew knowledge base applies.. In other words, just because you can do it doesn't mean you can do it right.  Cold brewing is a totally different extraction process and so I think only folks who've actually experimented and developed profiles (be it grind, blend, time, etc) specifically for cold brew are doing it right.  It's not so much the technique as it is just understanding what flavors come out of certain roasts when brewing cold.    I have tried cold brew and it's actually been quite difficult to produce really good cold brew.  

I know this is a bit of a rant but I can't help it I wasted yet another 4 bucks on some cold brew I tried today at a new spot.

I did cold brew with some of my best beans but it was very bad and not too different from what most of the coffee bars served me.  I manage to produce a decent cold brew by mixing beans of different roasts (having brewed them cold on their own).  If anyone of you with lots of experience with cold brew can share your recipes, I'd love to try it.    So far I'm finding that my PNG C+ 25% with ETH 25% FC, and 50% Columbian FC is not bad.. Definitely drinkable but no where close to the one cold brew I had at the Conservatory, a coffee house I frequent near work. It had some really nice subtle berry and dark chocolate notes and very well balanced.  I need to ask them for the recipe.

Do any of you do this?  Brew different SOs individually and post-mix your brews? I think that would be easier to come up with a specific flavor profile?? Since this extraction process requires no heat, I think it's a huge advantage for cold brewers to be able to develop flavor profiles post brew.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Been playing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242074966431)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+