Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Been playing with Cold Brew
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Been playing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
wabbitt
wabbitt
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: stovetop pots,aeropress
Grinder: skerton, SoloGrind
Drip: melitta cone, chemex
Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 10:58am
Subject: Re: Been playing with Cold Brew

z0mbie Said:

I did cold brew with some of my best beans but it was very bad and not too different from what most of the coffee bars served me.  I manage to produce a decent cold brew by mixing beans of different roasts (having brewed them cold on their own).  If anyone of you with lots of experience with cold brew can share your recipes, I'd love to try it.    So far I'm finding that my PNG C+ 25% with ETH 25% FC, and 50% Columbian FC is not bad.. Definitely drinkable but no where close to the one cold brew I had at the Conservatory, a coffee house I frequent near work. It had some really nice subtle berry and dark chocolate notes and very well balanced.  I need to ask them for the recipe.

Do any of you do this?  Brew different SOs individually and post-mix your brews? I think that would be easier to come up with a specific flavor profile?? Since this extraction process requires no heat, I think it's a huge advantage for cold brewers to be able to develop flavor profiles post brew.

Posted May 14, 2014 link

I do agree with you on most points.  I do think the barista or someone has to taste the batch before setting the recipes because the concentration & flavors aren't the same from batch to batch, bean to bean.  You haven't said what it is you're not liking about the cold brew drinks you've been trying, but the method tends to "dumb down" the flavors, which can be good or bad.  You tend to lose the finer nuances of flavors.  With a more delicate blend, you might lose flavor all together.

The first time I bought beans from a roaster, my brews by moka brew and by drip yielded a cup of dark liquid that tasted like burnt ashtray.  I wondered if the roaster didn't just flavor the beans with their used bbq briquettes.  It was supposed to be a light roast.  But as a cold brew, it almost completely eliminated that nasty flavor and it was the first time I tasted "fruity" in my coffee.  Used on stale coffee, it does work to get rid of that "stale" flavor.  Sometimes indigestion gets the best of me, so cold brew works for me to reduce the acidity so I can still enjoy my coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 11:11am

Hi Scotty,

We do almost no post-roast blending.  My impression is that the "ice drip" brew method itself highlights the "bottom note" aspects of the bean while muting the "top note" acids enough that any good "comfort food" style bean/roast will work equally well.  

About half of the roasting I do is an "all purpose" (good for espresso and brew) pre-roast blend of three Centrals taken just to FC we call "Beautiful Friendship Blend."  We use it quite a bit for espresso and sell (for cost of greens) nearly 10kg a month to people who mostly use it for auto-drip, Chemex or FP.  Anyway, BFB makes a very good ice drip.

But mostly we use straight, decent quality Guats or Brazilians, mostly roasted to C+/FC for the Yama.    

We tried some of the Dench Meng from the April R&L at H-B, but my feeling was that although it netted an excellent ice-drip, too much of the varietal character (mostly acids, of course) was lost to the process to make it worthwhile -- as compared to less expensive, more "ordinary" beans.

I'm surprised to hear about bad experiences with ice drip in local shops.  As long as you're using a basic tower set up like an Oji (my Yama is an Oji clone), it's pretty difficult to screw up.  If the drip rate is within 30 - 120 drip/min (wide enough range for you?), the brew water is iced, and the brew ratio is 8 - 10:1 (brewed coffee : grounds), then the process will be ice-cold water percolating slowly down a tall column of evenly wetted coffee.  And that's bound to be good.  

At the concentrations we use, the brew requires greater dilution than ice alone.  I cut Linda's with cream, water, ice and (flavored or simple) syrup, mine with ice, water and sometimes Bourbon, Cognac or rum, and they're plenty strong.    

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat May 17, 2014, 11:25am

boar_d_laze Said:

Hi Scotty,

We do almost no post-roast blending.  My impression is that the "ice drip" brew method itself highlights the "bottom note" aspects of the bean while muting the "top note" acids enough that any good "comfort food" style bean/roast will work equally well.  

About half of the roasting I do is an "all purpose" (good for espresso and brew) pre-roast blend of three Centrals taken just to FC we call "Beautiful Friendship Blend."  We use it quite a bit for espresso and sell (for cost of greens) nearly 10kg a month to people who mostly use it for auto-drip, Chemex or FP.  Anyway, BFB makes a very good ice drip.

But mostly we use straight, decent quality Guats or Brazilians, mostly roasted to C+/FC for the Yama.    

We tried some of the Dench Meng from the April R&L at H-B, but my feeling was that although it netted an excellent ice-drip, too much of the varietal character (mostly acids, of course) was lost to the process to make it worthwhile -- as compared to less expensive, more "ordinary" beans.

I'm surprised to hear about bad experiences with ice drip in local shops.  As long as you're using a basic tower set up like an Oji (my Yama is an Oji clone), it's pretty difficult to screw up.  If the drip rate is within 30 - 120 drip/min (wide enough range for you?), the brew water is iced, and the brew ratio is 8 - 10:1 (brewed coffee : grounds), then the process will be ice-cold water percolating slowly down a tall column of evenly wetted coffee.  And that's bound to be good.  

At the concentrations we use, the brew requires greater dilution than ice alone.  I cut Linda's with cream, water, ice and (flavored or simple) syrup, mine with ice, water and sometimes Bourbon, Cognac or rum, and they're plenty strong.    

Rich

Posted May 14, 2014 link

Hi Rich,
Thanks for the feedback.   Well, I don't think many people have had really good cold brew, so I think it's all fair game for coffee shops.  They're getting plenty of cold brew business.   I'm curious though... Have you had any local cold brews? Name a few and I will try them (if I haven't already) and we can compare notes.

I may try a tower setup however I don't want to spend too much money on expensive glassware if I'm not certain there will be an improvement over my current method (steep and filter).  Have you tried the Toddy?  I'm pretty sure it won't be too difficult to modify and turn it into an active drip system.  It's very inexpensive so I won't feel so bad if I screw it  up :)  

The full Oji setup looks awesome only I'm running out of space in my little apartment :)
 View Profile Link to this post
Manitobanerd
Manitobanerd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Cafe Roma
Grinder: Hario & blade grinder
Vac Pot: Moka express
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun May 18, 2014, 9:23am

For a quick and easy iced coffee, I found this recipe on youtube (its not cold brew though). It tastes pretty good I thought.

click here (Youtube)

I think this recipe can rival cold brew, however, it depends on the beans.
zelig

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Aug 1, 2014, 11:52am

I do a pour over iced coffee using this method, which works great:

Click Here (www.howcast.com)
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Been playing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
"My First Crack"
"Ask Me About My First Crack."  Tee Shirts in Black, White, or Grey.
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.22571015358)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+