Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Kopi Luwak Coffee
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Kopi Luwak...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Mar 16, 2014, 10:51am
Subject: Re: Kopi Luwak Coffee

My apologies as well. I got the impression we chased Brenda off a couple weeks ago- unfortunately :(
 View Profile Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Mar 16, 2014, 12:56pm

the fact that the moderators prefer to talk about audio cables tells me alot about the attitudes of this forum in regards to cat poop coffee.

I think the responses are warranted if she knew more about the coffee, and I'm glad she has been educated to avoid this product.

What they do to these poor animals to produce this coffee is absolutely unethical and down-right abusive, not to mention the end product is not at all what you think.   In addition to the fact that civits aren't choosing the cherries, they go through physiological changes under the duress of being caged and force fed, which affects their digestion and ultimately the liquid poop that folks are so eager to drink up.

Anyway, I have to remember that line, "From a$$holes for a$$holes" next time someone asks about it.. it's really the perfect response.
Snaxx

Grinder: Capresso Infinity burr
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: I Roast2
Posted Sun Mar 16, 2014, 9:07pm

If our friend Brenda would have started with a forum search, she would have turned up over 600 previous search results about the coffee, going back a few years to 2006.  This might have saved her from getting this idea that people were bashing her, or otherwise personally attacking her when she posted asking for info which returned some attempts at humor, which, for some reason, made her think she was being picked on when people weren't totally serious in replies to her.  It's well known that conversations on the internet can be totally misunderstood simply because of a lack of face contact to judge expressions, or lack of an instant reply like in a normal face-to-face conversation.    

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

It's beyond me why someone would want to pay a large amount of money for a small amount of coffee with nothing to recommend it other than it being eaten and passed through a digestive system of a cat, supposedly taking on magical flavor qualities like no other coffee.  But then again, people buy all kinds of inferior crap just because of TV info-mercials promoting faster cooking, better cleaning, easier slicing and easier dicing, and all kinds of other miracle improvements, over products which have been around for many years and work just fine without an added bell or whistle.  

I'm just wondering, whether the cat poop coffee suppliers offer the same coffee which hasn't yet been run through an animal.  Seems to me, the only fair way to judge this coffee would be to sample it both ways.  But of course, they'd never do that, since that would spoil their farce, and that would be the end of this coffee ripoff.    

Now, since there are some knowledgeable audiophiles discussing within this post, I need to know what I need to get or do to improve the sound quality from a TV set, especially from music.  It's really depressing, relaxing in the evening with a fresh cup of Panama Esmeralda Geisha, seeing a band playing with a great bunch of instruments, but only being able to see some of them being played, unable to hear the full range and volume of them.  Are there audio receivers that can pick up the audio channel to get the full frequency range that doesn't come through now?  

Ken
jliedeka
jliedeka

Grinder: Rocky Stainless
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor, heat gun
Posted Mon Mar 17, 2014, 8:55am

The limitation is mainly the small speakers in your TV.  With the advent of thin TVs, the speakers have gotten poorer because there's no room available.  If your source is over-the-air or cable, you can run the TV sound to a receiver and a set of speakers.  If you are using a DVD or Blu Ray player, that can also be connected to a receiver.  

If you don't want to go that route for reasons of space/esthetics/budget, even a decent sound bar would be an improvement.  If you want a surround experience, definitely receiver and speakers.  Either way you'll probably want a subwoofer of some sort.  Many sound bar systems also come with a sub.  They won't be the last word in bass authority but will still improve the sound.

Jim

PS: Ok, trying not to stay off topic. Please resume discussion of civet excrement.

Cafe todo el dia, tequila toda la noche
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014, 8:45am

Snaxx Said:

If our friend Brenda would have started with a forum search, she would have turned up over 600 previous search results about the coffee, going back a few years to 2006.  This might have saved her from getting this idea that people were bashing her, or otherwise personally attacking her when she posted asking for info which returned some attempts at humor, which, for some reason, made her think she was being picked on when people weren't totally serious in replies to her.  It's well known that conversations on the internet can be totally misunderstood simply because of a lack of face contact to judge expressions, or lack of an instant reply like in a normal face-to-face conversation.  

Posted March 16, 2014 link

I agree but (there is always a but isn't there ?) quite often, a Google search turns up places like CoffeeGeek that is on topic of the questions a person is having. Movies such as the Bucket list, in which Kopi is brought up will give a false impression that something is rare or high quality because it is different than anything they have heard of before. If a person then comes here honestly seeking formation on what they THINK is high end, and find a hostile (or what they perceive to be hostile) replies, I can understand her reaction. WE know this is a sore point, WE know it will stir a hornets nest of comments but they are unprepared for it. True a search would have turned up many threads on the topic but a new person perhaps should get a more kid glove treatment, well at least until they become crotchety old timers  :D

Snaxx Said:

Now, since there are some knowledgeable audiophiles discussing within this post, I need to know what I need to get or do to improve the sound quality from a TV set, especially from music.  It's really depressing, relaxing in the evening with a fresh cup of Panama Esmeralda Geisha, seeing a band playing with a great bunch of instruments, but only being able to see some of them being played, unable to hear the full range and volume of them.  Are there audio receivers that can pick up the audio channel to get the full frequency range that doesn't come through now?

Posted March 16, 2014 link

Jim pretty much covered it.
It is not so much a need for a receiver that tunes in TV signals, often there is a Tosslink or digital audio out in addition to a RCA jack L and R channel output. I am using an older AVR (Audio Visual Receiver ) that does not have HDMI inputs but it is still just fine. It does have Tosslink (fiber optic) inputs as well as a digital audio (a yellow/gold color RCA jack) and the TV has Tosslink out. I send all my input to the TV via HDMI and take advantage of the audio output from the TV to run to the AVR. I then have a 5.1 setup of my left over Klipsh (I am as much of a Klipsch geek as I love coffee) speakers. I am using Fort'e 1s as mains, the SC1 as a center and some SB1s (I think It has been a long time since I looked behind them) for the back speakers with a Klipsch sub. The sound in the TV room is better than in most H Ts in peoples homes and you should see what I have for a HT! (hint it starts with a 119" projector screen) then step into my 2 ch setup / den for even higher end audio.

The point of a lot of factors affect what is heard is true, including the thought that I just spent $5K for 10 feet of wire, it darn well better sound good!

BJ cables are perfectly fine as are Monoprice, and I have both. The deepest I got into speaker wires was 10 ga ultra fine strand O2 free copper cables. They pretty much sounded the same as the 14 g zip cord but as I had already spent the money, I left them there but I would not buy them again, honestly. It is feeding my Klipsch Corner  Horns from my Sonic Frontiers tube amp and the VTL ultamate tube preamp. I had a 60 cycle hum ground loop from the Dish network box but I fixed that with, you guessed it, a Tosslink feed from the TV, that keeps the TV and the attached items such as game stations, Sat box and PC isolated from the audio setup. There are a whole 'nuther set of components for pure audio in that room.

OK, back to cat poop coffee, sorry for the topic drift but this time, I was answering a question and that is what I am sticking to.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014, 2:03pm

I've found that the enzymatic action of a weasel's digestive system on oxygen-free copper interconnects reduces the inherent capacitance of the system to levels that allow the frequencies to time-align themselves perfectly.

But that's just me.
DavecUK

Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014, 7:11pm

Kopi Luwak = Robusta Coffee passed through the gut of a Civet cat

They would like you to believe they can polish a turd and make it shine, but they can't...it's Robusta. I was give a few Kilos of the genuine article and roasted one batch, then threw the rest away, because it was crap. Robusta does not really taste of much, and neither did this.

I suppose if you believe anything hard enough.....you can make it come true, but I would recommend you try just a decent quality coffee...forget Kona, forget blue mountain, both way overrated and hard to get genuine stuff (there's more Kona sold than produced each year). Once you start paying over 15 per kilo retail for green beans, you are not really getting any extra quality. If you want to significantly improve the shot quality of ordinary or even decent beans, simply pull out all the quakers, shells, misshapen and insect damaged beans from the roasted product and your cup quality will improve.

A mate of mine had 300 mains cables on his Hi Hi amplifier, plugged into the wall sockets.....felt it waaay enhanced the sound. I didn't have the heart to say that these 2 metre cables simply plugged into the socket, connected to the existing cheapo ring main crap already in the wall that cost 50p per metre. or that super expensive speaker wire is simply a waste of money, use lamp cable if you want, it will work just as well, or special fuses costing 100 each said to improve hifi, or crystals. However, people believe this stuff...they can actually "hear" the difference.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014, 7:56pm

A mild amount of even order distortion injected into an audio system makes the system sound "richer," and "better."  True or false?

If you don't know the answer to this without looking it up, then there's an awful lot you don't know about audio.  If you do know, then you know that perfect accuracy in signal reproduction isn't everything and have at least some idea of why.  

Anyway, maybe we should stick to coffee.  

Nothing good comes out of a cat's behind.

Rich
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014, 9:41pm

boar_d_laze Said:

A mild amount of even order distortion injected into an audio system makes the system sound "richer," and "better."  True or false?

If you don't know the answer to this without looking it up, then there's an awful lot you don't know about audio.  If you do know, then you know that perfect accuracy in signal reproduction isn't everything and have at least some idea of why.  

Anyway, maybe we should stick to coffee.  

Nothing good comes out of a cat's behind.

Rich

Posted March 18, 2014 link

Neither. It really depends on the rest of the circuit topology and whether you're generating higher or lower order harmonics. If your circuit topology is creating excessive IMD, you get sum and differene tones that wreak havoc with reproduction. Underdesigned filtering on power supplies can be a bear when you're running out of headroom.

At any rate, the even/odd harmonic distortion thing has been pretty well debunked in double blind testing done by the AES (used to have the article lying around somewhere). The research we did at Line 6 involving physical modeling of amplifier topology was a great example of "everything you know is wrong" for a lot of deeply entrenched ideas about such things.

"Good" sound and accurate sound are frequently at odds with each other, anyway. Most listeners don't want the accuracy of somehing like reference monitors they'd largely prefer something that glosses over anything that's harsh or creates dissonances, hence the popularity of the over-processed Bose stuff, among many other sonic sins.

In many ways, in an analogy to coffee, it's like taking a coffee with unique flavor notes, say an earthy Sumatra, and using it in a sweet latte to cover up some of the distinctiveness of its flavor.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Mar 18, 2014, 11:06pm

calblacksmith Said:

. It is impossible pretty much to find the "real" stuff and even then, the animals are force fed thus voiding the premise that the cevit eats only the best and choicest of the cherries.

Posted March 5, 2014 link

"Voiding"...an excellent choice of words on the workings of KW. LOL
Brenda, 99 out of 100 times, actually make that 999 times out of 1000 anyone starting a KW thread on CG is either a spammer, a flamer, a troll, or all the above.
There are, or maybe were probably 500 threads on this subject, so one more just inviting ]some of the comments you found cheeky.
I'm not defending them.

Perhaps, come again to this forum with a more "universal" topic, no matter how "noobie/newbie" you think it is, and I assure you you'll find plenty here who will be more than happy to help you.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Kopi Luwak...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.318950891495)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+