Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Kopi Luwak Coffee
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Kopi Luwak...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jliedeka
jliedeka
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Rocky Stainless
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor, heat gun
Posted Wed Mar 5, 2014, 2:02pm
Subject: Re: Kopi Luwak Coffee

You stirred up a hornets nest with your question.  As you have probably gathered, Kopi Luwak is not well thought of here.  It's like asking about cryogenically treated speaker cables on Audioholics.

There are a lot of really great coffees from all parts of the world.  Most of the coffees that get some buzz are overrated or at least overpriced.  If you want a really nice but slightly spendy coffee, I would suggest a nice Hawaiian Kona or a Puerto Rico Yauco Selecto.  Maybe a Yemen would also be a good choice.

Jim

Cafe todo el dia, tequila toda la noche
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed Mar 5, 2014, 6:46pm

Coffee4US Said:

Yes, Len.  My friend loves drinking coffee and he started getting me into it as well.  I thought this would be a good forum for me to learn more about various kinds of coffee. Those sarcastic comments were uncalled for.  They could have simply explained the background without bashing me.  I appreciate those who had the courtesy to give me information without being sarcastic, but  I won't post anymore due to the other unnecessary comments.  Thanks.

Posted March 5, 2014 link

Well then, on behalf of all here I wish to extend an apology for ourselves pooh-poohing your genuine interest in the luwak coffee.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014, 10:06am

jliedeka Said:

You stirred up a hornets nest with your question.  As you have probably gathered, Kopi Luwak is not well thought of here.  It's like asking about cryogenically treated speaker cables on Audioholics.

Jim

Posted March 5, 2014 link

LOL, high end audio is one of my other passions, you comparison is perfectly valid!
My personal stance on cables (how did we get there?) is that the speaker side of things, esp for short runs, wire is wire and pretty much 14 gauge zip cord bought at the big box store is just as good as $1K a foot audio fool wire.

On things like interconnects, where the signal is MUCH lower and MUCH more easily damaged by interfearance then better cables will make a difference but even then you have the point of diminishing returns and .... my PERSONAL view is much more than $25 or so for a 1 m cable is not going to make a lot of difference. At least not to my 57 year old, abused by industry, shooting sports, military service ears!

If you REALLY want to waste money, lets spend big bucks on POWER cables, I mean really how much good it is going to do you to have an ULTRA premium power cord 6 feet long when you connect it to miles of EDISON non audio fool wire that has more dirty power on it than a hog in a mud wallow, I mean, really, what do you expect those 6 feet of wire to do? :P :P :P

Back to your regularly scheduled coffee discussion :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
jliedeka
jliedeka

Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014, 3:28pm

I know a guy who is usually pretty smart and skeptical.  He has speaker cables that look like fire hoses plus expensive interconnects and power cords.

I thought I was going overkill by using 10 gauge Belden speaker wire in my small home theater.  I get that plus interconnects from Blue Jean's.

J

barkingburro
barkingburro
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014, 7:09pm

So, two moderators are hijacking this thread now to talk about audiophiles? Okeydoke, please take a look at comments 9 and 10 of the following:

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Wanna trash talk expensive cables? Feh! I'll take you both on. [spits on hands and rubs them together]

Fool, ya fool!

barkingburro: image.jpg

- Michael
jliedeka
jliedeka

Posted Sun Mar 16, 2014, 6:17am

Sorry. We can go back to talking about Kopi Luwak. I'll have to bow out because I have nothing new to say.

Jim

boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Mar 16, 2014, 7:44am

I owned a company called Pure Logic, which was essentially a "one man band" that was active during the nineties creating technical equipment largely based on chaos and complexity models.  Among other things it (I) made and designed high-end audio cable.  You'd be surprised at what does and doesn't matter, how human beings perceive sound and what makes some reproduction emotionally satisfying while other reproduction is annoying.  It's very complicated and not well understood -- not even by "experts."  

Kopi Luwak is an interesting thought, but lousy coffee.

Rich
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Mar 16, 2014, 9:06am

I've been looking for a good set of computer speakers, Thanks for the link and super review barkingburro!
CHenry

Espresso: Olympia Express Maximatic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic Type...
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: none
Posted Sun Mar 16, 2014, 9:31am

If you want to make a nice gift of coffees for an enthusiast, you might want to look online and select some choice offerings of Kona coffees sold directly by the growers on the Kona Coast hills in Hawaii. There are several growers who roast their farm produce and sell online; you will be getting high quality coffees from single farm origin and grown to strict quality standards.
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Sun Mar 16, 2014, 10:23am

Brenda, I can recommend Velton's Bonsai Blend for its complexity, chocolate flavor, and just great overall balance. It also will reveal a nice hint of orange flavor on a good day. The peak from roast date tends to be well past 5-6 days, so it is a good candidate for mail order. Or, if you prefer a (very) slightly darker roast, with more of a full-bodied flavor, try Velton's Twilight Blend. It tends to peak late after roast as well.

I've got some reviews for you as well, but they're on a competitor's site. Just google the following for a review on Bonsai Blend:

barkingburro coffee journey into darkness

And sorry for encouraging the thread-jacking!

- Michael
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Kopi Luwak...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.280555009842)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+