Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Roasters that don't kill you on shipping costs
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Roasters that...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Goldensncoffee
Goldensncoffee
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Breville Smart, Skerton
Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 8:23am
Subject: Roasters that don't kill you on shipping costs

So far I've been ordering some beans from a roaster that is about 15 miles away from my house. SH is very reasonable. I would like to try out some different roasters around the country. Some of the shipping costs are just crazy. I guess the problem is I'm only planning on ordering 1 bag at a time so that my beans are fresh. I did find a few that weren't terrible. Redbird is only $5 for orders up to $15. Any thoughts on them? I've been browsing GeorgeHowell and they have one heck of a selection of coffees. $10 to ship one 12oz bag seems high to me though. Do you guys know of any roasters I should be checking out? What do you all do?
 View Profile Link to this post
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 8:44am
Subject: Re: Roasters that don't kill you on shipping costs

Some one here wrote "The freezer is your friend." I have liked all the redbird coffees that I received. I get 5 pounders and freeze much of that load, dispersing them as needed. Also your friends are you friends, as are your relatives and the mailman and the policeman, all of whom might appreciate if you share some of your bounty.

regards, Sky
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 3:36pm

George Howell impressed me much less than I expected he would when I was out Boston way. Blue State coffee, well, I liked it better and I liked that they give back, even in their online orders.

That being said, lots of options out there.

If you choose to freeze, gocoffeego has very reasonable shipping on 3 bag purchases. They are not a roaster themselves, but basically a middle man for about 12-15 roasters who allow them to feature their coffee. They 3 bags have to come from the same roaster and sometimes you get even better deals. Good way to try out new places.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 4:01pm

Verve is free shipping. They are also excellent. Their customer service is outstanding.

-Dave-
Snaxx

Grinder: Capresso Infinity burr
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: I Roast2
Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 7:23pm

Gen-X in Seattle ships for $6.00 flat rate.  They don't have a huge selection to choose from, but what they have for greens is good quality.  No idea how their roasted beans compare to what I roast at home.  During the soccer season, they discount your order an extra 10% if their local team scores for a win, for a few days after the victory.

Ken
Goldensncoffee
Goldensncoffee

Grinder: Breville Smart, Skerton
Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 6:05pm

Awesome guys. I just checked out the companies online. They look great. I will be ordering from one of them soon.
sweaner
sweaner

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 9:47am

Try Bodka coffee. $5 shipping, excellent prices, and gets to my house in PA in 2-3 days.

http://www.bodkacoffee.com/

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
Breve

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 10:04am

Breve Coffee Company out of St Louis only charges $2.95 shipping.  They have outstanding coffee and really great service.
masonjer

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 12:32pm

I agree with Verve Coffee.  Free shipping is tough to beat.  Also, shameless plug but I own a micro coffee roasting business.  Our shipping rates are $2 flat and free over $20.  CraftandMason.com Sorry, couldn't resist as affordable shipping was something we really focused on when we opened up our online shop.
bossman

Espresso: Mini Vivladi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Soon I hope
Posted Sat Feb 22, 2014, 9:48am

Fair Mountain ships for free on 2 pounds or more.  I have heard great things about them and my first order arrived yesterday.  The smell was making me drool as I was re-packing for freezing.  If UPS had not lost my CC1 I could give you a better idea of taste...
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Roasters that...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.231328010559)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+