Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Why haven't roasters embraced freezing coffee?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Why haven't...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
iHaveFeet

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mypressi Twist
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Not yet
Drip: Hario Woodneck, Chemex/Coava...
Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014, 10:10am
Subject: Why haven't roasters embraced freezing coffee?

Given that the myth about freezing coffee, if done properly, has been debunked and it's a proven way to extend the freshness of a roast, I wonder why roasters haven't caught on to this? I find it so frustrating when I take a 15 minute drive to my favourite local roaster, Transcend, only to find that the only bags they have for sale at that location are already a week to 10 days old.

It would seem to me that roasters would benefit from storing their retail beans in a deep freeze and selling them to customers frozen, with detailed instructions on the bag about how to properly thaw the coffee. This way they could freeze the coffee a few hours out of the roaster and ensure all customers are able to experience their coffees at it's absolute peak. It would also likely lead to less coffee being wasted, as the bags could sit in the freezer for several weeks and they wouldn't have to worry about it not selling it because it's past it's life.

I wonder why no one does this? Is it just a case of old habits dying hard or is there some other motivation? I would imagine the cost involved for a small local roaster wouldn't be that much: you can fit a heck of a lot of coffee in a standard, home sized deep freeze. Certainly many more bags than they usually have for sale on their counters.

Brendan
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014, 2:54pm
Subject: Re: Why haven't roasters embraced freezing coffee?

The freezing is only valuable if it's sub-0F, and transporting in dry ice is very expensive.

Or such is my understanding.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014, 2:55pm

I think that not everyone agrees the myth has been debunked. Not saying that's the reason, but it's one possibility.

Although I do freeze most of the beans I buy, there's is one particular blend that I feel suffers significantly when I freeze it.  These beans are treated exactly the same (by me) as all of the other beans I buy.  The beans are freshly roasted, and shipped to me the same day, arriving at my door on post-roast day 2 or 3. I divide them into small batches exactly the same, freeze them in the exact same jars, in the exact same part of the freezer, and thaw them exactly the same as all of the other beans, yet this particular blend goes flat within about 3 days of use after they've been frozen - before that they are fantastic! When a new shipment arrives, I always take a same sized portion for not freezing, and those unfrozen beans have a longer "shelf" life.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014, 4:12pm

So far I haven't had a blend or S.O. that hasn't worked with freezing, I use ball caning jars and seal beans in zip bags inside each jar. I guess I have a good fridge freezer as I normally go 1 month, sometimes 2 and really no difference in grind settings or taste difference. I did pull out a jar that had been in there 4 months and it wasn't as good (still fine though) and had to grind a click forward tighter vs normal settings for that blend, but it worked. If that blend had just sat like that in a cupboard it would of been completely stale and nasty, even after 1 month for that matter it would have been noticeably stale.

But I usually only go a month, sometimes two. I wouldn't go longer with a fridge freezer, anything longer and a deep freeze chest would be best. I would use one anyway but have no room except in my FL room which is all windows and roofed like a normal room but no a/c since it's open to outside, my electric bill would be nutz with a deep freeze out there (neighbor did that once and quickly put it elsewhere when he saw his bill lol, uses his for fish).

Have to have a good fridge though in general, my friend has an older one and the defrost cycles are different and not as efficient, as he tried storing just like I did and it didn't work well multiple times. Which always makes me wonder if people that posted they couldn't get it to work had older not as efficient units, as I remember reading 1 or 2 posters that did say their fridge/freezer was old.

For a roaster though, I don't think they'll want to go through the trouble or cost, it would have to be packed in with dry ice etc.
iHaveFeet

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mypressi Twist
Vac Pot: Not yet
Drip: Hario Woodneck, Chemex/Coava...
Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014, 4:34pm

I might not have been clear in what I was envisioning:  I realize that the logistics of shipping frozen coffee would be complicated and expensive.  I'm thinking it could be useful for coffee sold locally out of the shop.  Any home sized deep freezer should keep temperatures well below -20c, which is plenty cold enough to preserve coffee's freshness.  I envision the bags for sale being stored in a deep freezer, and when a customer says "I'll take a bag of the Yirgacheffe" the barista grabs a bag from the freezer and hands it to them, saying "be sure to let it warm up for 6 - 8 hours before you open the bag" or whatever.  That way every bag sold would be almost virtually as fresh as the day it's roasted.  They could still sell bags 6 weeks after roast.  They wouldn't have to throw coffee out (or do whatever they do to it) because it didn't sell in time and now the freshness window is over...

Brendan
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014, 8:47pm

I've never found freezing to be good for coffee.....
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014, 5:38am

[quote655869Although I do freeze most of the beans I buy, there's is one particular blend that I feel suffers significantly when I freeze it. [x]

Which one is that, Ron?
IHaveFeet: The standard business model for roasters and other producers is to move product and let the retailers deal with wastage/spoilage issues.  For 90% of retail customers, there is no downside to buying stale roast; it is a problem that does not exist - except for coffeegeeks, and how many of us are there?  The wholesale business subsidizes the stature of the roaster with respect to his peers, conventions, spro-downs, cognoscenti, hobbyist buyers and the like, who buy fresh product.
The business model does not call for babysitting surplus and producing a fragile version of the real thing (ie, can't be refrozen, etc.).  Breakage and spoilage are factored into price/profit calculations for all standard businesses.
B
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014, 7:00am

Buckley Said:

Although I do freeze most of the beans I buy, there's is one particular blend that I feel suffers significantly when I freeze it.

Which one is that, Ron?
IHaveFeet: The standard business model for roasters and other producers is to move product and let the retailers deal with wastage/spoilage issues.  For 90% of retail customers, there is no downside to buying stale roast; it is a problem that does not exist - except for coffeegeeks, and how many of us are there?  The wholesale business subsidizes the stature of the roaster with respect to his peers, conventions, spro-downs, cognoscenti, hobbyist buyers and the like, who buy fresh product.
The business model does not call for babysitting surplus and producing a fragile version of the real thing (ie, can't be refrozen, etc.).  Breakage and spoilage are factored into price/profit calculations for all standard businesses.
B

Posted January 17, 2014 link

this! I mean people still flock to Folgers Instant lol
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014, 7:19am

A slightly off point but still in the ball park, I think that the reason that roasters do not endorse freezing for customers is that most customers are, well, lazy. They put the big bag-O-beans in the freezer then open it every day to get some more and close the bag. This assures that moisture enters the bag EVERY time they open it, wetting the beans and starting the extraction process on the surface of the beans.

Done properly, I do not find much if any loss in quality over the month that I store them from purchase to purchase of 5 pound bags. Then again, I do break the lot into several bags each about 3/4 pound, evacuate and deep freeze in the bottom of the freezer and only open a bag after it hits room temp and never refreeze.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014, 9:23pm

Chromatic Gamut is the one that seems to go flat. Fresh, and the first couple of days after thawing, it's one of the best spros I buy.  I just got 3 12oz bags. i'm doing one fresh and have the other two broken into 8oz ball canning jars (instead of the 16s), so I'm hoping to thoroughly enjoy tis entire batch

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Why haven't...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.241082191467)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+