Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
For Anyone Skeptical About How Bad Starbucks is...
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > For Anyone...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 9:56am
Subject: Re: For Anyone Skeptical About How Bad Starbucks is...

Sorry, but I really do find *$$ undrinkable, even when dolled up with caramel, chocolate and other flavoring.  That ash/charcoal taste just lingers in my mouth long after the sugars are gone, and I can't stand to drink it. So, while I applaud then opening people's eyes to something more than grocery store canned preground, I will continue to trash talk the quality of their espresso.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
Skylar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 10:19am

Have only tasted an occasional clover-brewed coffee, black, as ordered by a relative. My problem with them, beyond the level of roast, is that they all taste stale.

That is the fault I cannot get past.
haziz

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 1:19pm
Subject: I like it!

Burner0000 Said:

+1...
I think they cater to the really dark coffee lovers.  I know of a few people who don't like their coffee unless the beans are black and shiny.  I gotta give them credit for creating their empire around such darkly roasted coffee. I would never buy their pre bagged beans but every once in a while when I only have the option to buy Starbucks to get a coffee fix it isn't bad.

Posted December 17, 2013 link

+1. As someone who prefers darker roasts I do enjoy their coffee. For years, Starbucks French roast was my standard roast for drip coffee and French press, though now I do regard it as too charred. I still enjoy many of their marginally lighter coffee's and do prefer them to the three lighter roasts I have tried from Blue Bottle and Counter Culture. I do drink my coffee with minimal milk and sugar and prefer a darker roast to cut through the mix. I can sort of see a preferance for a lighter roast if you drink it black.
DavecUK

Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 6:01pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

I agree.  And for the life of me I wish that people would stop trash talking Starbucks.  I realize it has become a foot in the door to CG for newbies, however God it is getting sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo old.  Give Starbucks credit for opening many many many eyes to better mass produced retail coffee and espresso.
Len

It's also produced loads of people who don't like "coffee", unfortunately what they have tried at Star*&^% cannot be described as coffee. It is truly awful stuff, I cannot even drink it its so bad.
ggusta

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013, 3:52pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

I agree.  And for the life of me I wish that people would stop trash talking Starbucks.  I realize it has become a foot in the door to CG for newbies, however God it is getting sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo old.  Give Starbucks credit for opening many many many eyes to better mass produced retail coffee and espresso.

Len

Well hello out there and welcome to my first post. (Got an air popper for christmas and am looking forward to expanding my passion for coffee, I have already returned the presto pop lite and am waiting for a wbp2 to arrive.) But I digress. I do that a lot.

I worked at Starbucks from around Sept 2001 to July 2002, mostly for fun and freebies, it was the first or 2nd drive thru open in NC, wow talk about dating myself. Back in those days we pulled shots manually, like God intended. There were actual official time range standards for how many seconds it should take to pull a good shot, how long a shot could sit (never understood why, I don't recall ever getting to the halfway point on that standard.) I have ALWAYS found the drip coffee more or less a joke, with a couple of notable exceptions. We DID like the French Roast and a seasonal roast called Verona, which I believe was Vienna with a new name. Other than that.....blecccch as far as drip is concerned. I found the espresso respectable, though I always drank it with milk or my preference, breve, after training.

I really don't fault them. They aren't holding guns to anyone's head to make them drink it. As a matter of fact, we had numerous addicts who's spouses were not very happy with the bills they rang up on credit and debit cards at *$. I think one of the biggest beverage consumers we had were the frappuccino people. And when I say 'biggest', I mean they were physically the biggest type II pre-diabetics I have ever seen. I would see them unpacking themselves from their cars and just fire up the blendtec. Holy Cow. 'specially when it was hot out.

It's very common to attack the 700 pound gorilla of the industry, micro brewers and home brewers trash Sam Adams, but without these behemoths, where would the consumer of coffee or beer be today? We'd still have a choice between maxwell house and folgers! jk :-) The ad nauseum attacks have just become noise, just like the green and white sign on every corner has become noise in our culture, guess you can't have one without the other, people gotta complain about sumpin'. It's our nature. They have had a direct role in expanding the knowledge and availability for those who have developed a passion.

I enjoyed working there while I was there but knew they had paved the path to their own demise when my wife and I went to New York in 2002 and every starbucks featured the new automatic machines. I tried one cappuccino, thought it was thin and bitter. Tried another one at another *$ and it was equally bad, tried another one at yet a different spot (nyc must have had a thousand locations all by itself, it was way over saturated) , same thing again. And I thought to myself if they think these horrendous automatic shots are acceptable and anyone can just press the button, then what happens when McDonald's puts these machines in? I may have been wrong about a lot ;-), but I was right about that. They still haven't perfected the automatic shot (11 years and counting, guess good enough is good enough) and besides, isn't having a professional barista who takes pride in their craft part of the whole coffee shop experience? That's what made me want to work there.

Anyhoo, looking forward to chatting elsewhere on other topics more pertinent to my new hobby. Thanks for providing the forum.
Gregg

PS: Best thing to drink at starbucks? Hands down, triple filtered water. A sublime pleasure.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Tue Dec 31, 2013, 10:32am

ggusta Said:

Well hello out there and welcome to my first post.

Posted December 30, 2013 link

welcome to CG!

ggusta Said:

I worked at Starbucks from around Sept 2001 to July 2002, mostly for fun and freebies, it was the first or 2nd drive thru open in NC, wow talk about dating myself. Back in those days we pulled shots manually, like God intended. There were actual official time range standards for how many seconds it should take to pull a good shot, how long a shot could sit (never understood why, I don't recall ever getting to the halfway point on that standard.)

This is when *$$ made decent coffee. My understanding is they abandoned the real craft and their baristi because they were unable to maintain adequate inter-cafe consistency. But, yeah, those were the good 'ol days. The place has really degraded...as you've duly noted.

ggusta Said:

I really don't fault them. They aren't holding guns to anyone's head to make them drink it. As a matter of fact, we had numerous addicts who's spouses were not very happy with the bills they rang up on credit and debit cards at *$. I think one of the biggest beverage consumers we had were the frappuccino people. And when I say 'biggest', I mean they were physically the biggest type II pre-diabetics I have ever seen. I would see them unpacking themselves from their cars and just fire up the blendtec. Holy Cow. 'specially when it was hot out.

I love your funny anecdote, thanks for sharing that. I have to say that I do fault people, and companies, who take advantage of others in order to relieve them of their money. In some circles, it's illegal (and rightly so, IMHO) to feed off the un(der)educated.

ggusta Said:

It's very common to attack the 700 pound gorilla of the industry, micro brewers and home brewers trash Sam Adams....

As a home brewer, I consider this a bad analogy. Some of the Sam Adams beers are in fact, truly amazing. In particular, their Chocolate Bock, which is only available every few years in the winter. I really don't know any other home brewers who trash them either. Most do trash places like Anheuser Busch, but I've even heard great compliments (from homebrewers) to the brewmasters there, who can take whatever crappy ingredients they're given and make the same thing time after time (not that any home brewer I know actually likes any AB products).

ggusta Said:

PS: Best thing to drink at starbucks? Hands down, triple filtered water. A sublime pleasure.

Yes, I must agree that if one is going to get a beverage from *$$, they're best off getting something without coffee in it (I haven't tried the aforementioned water).

And I really must agree with Dave on this rebuttal to Len...

DavecUK Said:

It's also produced loads of people who don't like "coffee"....

Posted December 18, 2013 link

In support, I shall steal the beer analogy. I've known many people who've said "I don't like beer". Almost all of them hadn't ever had any beer other than those produces at the largest American breweries....and many of them have actually liked higher quality beers, when given the opportunity to try them.

cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Tue Dec 31, 2013, 4:46pm

I really like that analogy of " I've known many people who've said "I don't like beer". Almost all of them hadn't ever had any beer other than those produces at the largest American breweries....and many of them have actually liked higher quality beers, when given the opportunity to try them. " IT IS SO TRUE.

I can remember being 18 and in college and drinking Schitz (aka Schlitz) dark beer at events (had to be 21 to buy beer off campus, yes, really) and thinking I didn't really care what it tasted like. By the time I was 21, I really hated beer, well, American beer. I had had one bottle of Haufbrau Oktoberfest and thought it was good. Here I am 40 years after the Schitz (at least I drank the dark) and I still have never learned to like what most American's call beer. Heck, I haven't even learned to drink it. On the other hand, there are some awesome micros out there. (Dogfish comes to mind). Tasted Barleywine for the first time a couple weeks ago (and yes, technically it's a beer) and it makes you wonder how people ever liked the stuff the mass brewers make.

Coffee is the same thing. My dad swore by Yuban for most of his life. Wouldn't drink anything else at home. Until he had to switch to decaff. He's been searching. I'd buy him a bag now and then of Librarian's Blend from Intelli or the like and it was too 'weak' for him. He recently found one he really enjoys. Is it third wave? Nope, second. But is is huge step up from Yuban. I still tease him. But after drinking coffee for 75 years or so, he's not going to change.

Good luck on your journey for the search for the perfect cup

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeNark

Posted Tue Dec 31, 2013, 4:58pm

I try to not bash Starbucks, pods, instant coffees or any other producers of what I consider swill.   I don't want to convert them to what I drink and thus possibly making it more expensive and more difficult for me to obtain the good stuff.
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 7:57pm

Before you paint all American beer with the same brush do try Brother Thelonious by The North Coast Brewery in Fort Brag CA.  I figured with a picture of Monk on the label it had to be good, but if it turned out to be unremarkable the bottle could at least be part of the décor in my stereo room.  It is an amber Belgian style ale and I am becoming quite fond of it.  

Phil

cerridwyn Said:

I really like that analogy of " I've known many people who've said "I don't like beer". Almost all of them hadn't ever had any beer other than those produces at the largest American breweries....and many of them have actually liked higher quality beers, when given the opportunity to try them. " IT IS SO TRUE.

I can remember being 18 and in college and drinking Schitz (aka Schlitz) dark beer at events (had to be 21 to buy beer off campus, yes, really) and thinking I didn't really care what it tasted like. By the time I was 21, I really hated beer, well, American beer. I had had one bottle of Haufbrau Oktoberfest and thought it was good. Here I am 40 years after the Schitz (at least I drank the dark) and I still have never learned to like what most American's call beer. Heck, I haven't even learned to drink it. On the other hand, there are some awesome micros out there. (Dogfish comes to mind). Tasted Barleywine for the first time a couple weeks ago (and yes, technically it's a beer) and it makes you wonder how people ever liked the stuff the mass brewers make.

Coffee is the same thing. My dad swore by Yuban for most of his life. Wouldn't drink anything else at home. Until he had to switch to decaff. He's been searching. I'd buy him a bag now and then of Librarian's Blend from Intelli or the like and it was too 'weak' for him. He recently found one he really enjoys. Is it third wave? Nope, second. But is is huge step up from Yuban. I still tease him. But after drinking coffee for 75 years or so, he's not going to change.

Good luck on your journey for the search for the perfect cup

Posted December 31, 2013 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 8:52pm

I don't think Susan was painting all the american beers with the same brush...just the really huge mass producers.  In fact, later in the same post quoted, she said there are some awesome micros...naming, as an example, Dogfish Head.

showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > For Anyone...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.390156984329)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+