Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
I Have a Confession to Make: I Like Starbucks Coffee!
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > I Have a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
haziz

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Dec 22, 2013, 12:25pm
Subject: I Have a Confession to Make: I Like Starbucks Coffee!

I like Starbucks Coffee!

There, I said it! I also love Peet's coffee.

As I explore other coffees and roasts specially the third wave coffees that are all the rage, my reaction has ranged from meh to wanting to puke. This has included coffees that have received rave reviews. Some have been drinkable but all too light (e.g. Blue Bottle's Bella Donovan), to a real physical desire to puke (several Counter Culture roasts, as well as a CQ Roasters light Ethipean coffee that had received rave reviews, and a Barrington Coffee roast).

I want to taste the roast and a good body, and if that means losing some acidity and the ability to distinguish it's varietal character, so be it.

Give me a Starbucks dark or medium roast any day.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Dec 22, 2013, 1:10pm
Subject: Re: I Have a Confession to Make: I Like Starbucks Coffee!

I've never had Peets or Counter Culture coffees.  If there is a Starbucks coffee I like it is their Espresso Roast and their original House Blend, in that order.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sun Dec 22, 2013, 1:14pm

Seven Hail Mary's, and three Our Father's every day for the next seven days, and all will be forgiven, my son.

Follow up with prayer and examination of your conscience and what drives you toward smokey, over-roasted flavors. You can ask God to relieve you from the temptation to follow the evil green mermaid's siren calls.

Good luck.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Dec 22, 2013, 1:15pm

I imagine that there are people who log onto Chowhound.com and confess that they love to eat Twinkies.
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Dec 22, 2013, 1:25pm

I applaud your choice, sir. It leaves more really tasty coffee for those of us who enjoy it. Though you might find it more cost efficient to simply buy directly from Kingsford. One briquet is just about right for a double.
msboo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Sun Dec 22, 2013, 2:13pm

Just goes to show difference in individual tastes. Any/all Starbucks I ever tried tasted burned, bitter and over extracted. After a few tries I thought it was just me until I began my never ending coffee "education". I read how coffee should be a pleasant tasting experience, discovered different origins and roasts, brew methods, etc. No matter, some prefer that dark, smokey charred flavor while others don't.

We have a fairly new roaster in our town---roasts everything very dark. "Medium Roast" is very, very dark (black) and all I taste is the roast---had to throw it out! I asked if they offered any lighter roasts but they feel they need to roast dark to "wean" people off dark, charred type roasts. I don't get that and hate to see some of their offerings with all the flavor going up in smoke BUT if their customers are happy so be it. Still other out of town roasters, offering a nice origin & roast variety, ships to our WFs and it flies off the shelf.

Competition is a good thing for everyone!
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Sun Dec 22, 2013, 2:25pm

Don't fall for it..troll written all over that post.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Dec 22, 2013, 2:26pm

There are also people that prefer a nasty McDs burger to a gourmet kobe/wagu/prime brisket blend etc, I think their nutz but hey, lol. Your choosing light roast, you need to choose dark roast from a good roaster. I mean what's there to like about Charbucks, it literally taste like a liquid cigarette or cigar in your mouth, I'll take Dunkin Donuts or even a decent gas station any day over them. They burn the beans beyond charred b/c they use the cheapest and poorest quality beans around, and their stale, when you buy a bag they've already been roasted 4-8+ months earlier. Would you grill a hamburger that's been sitting out for even a week?

Even Starbucks light roast is burnt and oily lol
DUFFY

Espresso: RANCILIO S20 MIDI
Grinder: RENEKA ROSSI
Posted Sun Dec 22, 2013, 5:42pm

Hi.Whats a twinkie? never got round to asking or trying one,when i was over there.
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 12:08am

DUFFY Said:

Hi.Whats a twinkie? never got round to asking or trying one,when i was over there.

Posted December 22, 2013 link

A twinkie is a golden sponge cake snack filled with whipped cream..  It's a classic American treat with a mysterious shelf life.  Some say they last forever, but truth be told, no one really knows because they're eaten the moment they're gazed upon :)
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > I Have a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.248966932297)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+