Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
For Anyone Skeptical About How Bad Starbucks is...
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > For Anyone...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 7 first page previous page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014, 7:11am
Subject: Re: For Anyone Skeptical About How Bad Starbucks is...

BurnsBeans Said:

As a former Starbucks employee, I agree. While its not my coffee of choice, I prefer others (Intelligentsia, Metropolis, etc) They intro'd the culture to a lot. They also take a lot of time to invest in educating both customers and employees alike about the basics of coffee and espresso. In a lot of ways, they have laid the ground work for people who now trash talk them bc Starbucks has become beneath them. :-) Don't hate - it doesn't make one seem any more high brow. Just appreciate your own likes and know they are for you.

Posted April 21, 2014 link

This has been discussed elsewhere on this board. But since it's not in this thread (as far as I can remember, having not read the first couple of pages in a week or more), I feel like this post in particular needs to be responded to in order to explain why many of us who've been into espresso a fair amount of time feel like we do about them...the *$$ of old and the cuirrent *$$ are very different beasts. Several years ago, after those of us had a chance to appreciate their efforts at enlightening the world to what good coffee is, they totally changed their model and opted for consistency in cr@p, rather than inconsistency in quality. They sold off their real commercial espresso machines and replaced them all with high-end (if there is such a thing) super-automatic machines. This essentially reduced their baristi to button pushers, negating any semblance of skill they'd developed. Additionally, their beans taste like charcoal. If that's something you like or can tolerate, then good for you, I'm glad to hear your satisifed, and even happier that you can actually go out of your home and easily find something drinkable just about anywhere in the civilized world within about 5 or 10 minutes from where you are. For me, there's no amount of chocolate or flavored sugary syrup that can cover it up. I find it unpalatable...and am essentially screwed when I travel, unless I do some pre-trip research, bring my own gear with me, or happen to luck out.

I don't hate the company though - despite the tax debate going on here. In fact, my wife goes there regularly, and when we travel, she's happy as a clam in a shell if there's one nearby - it's only me that's screwed.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014, 7:51am

BurnsBeans Said:

As a former Starbucks employee, I agree. While its not my coffee of choice, I prefer others (Intelligentsia, Metropolis, etc) They intro'd the culture to a lot. They also take a lot of time to invest in educating both customers and employees alike about the basics of coffee and espresso. In a lot of ways, they have laid the ground work for people who now trash talk them bc Starbucks has become beneath them. :-) Don't hate - it doesn't make one seem any more high brow. Just appreciate your own likes and know they are for you.

Posted April 21, 2014 link

I'd agree with you if this was the old charbucks like emradguy said, you know the one that actually had baristas with training operating LaMarzocco Machines and Mazzer Grinders etc. Now it's a bunch of teens pushing a button on a superautomatic that makes swill for coffee, and their beans have gotten far worse, I don't remember their beans being this awful and charred to taste like liquid cogs/cigars. Hence why it must be pretty rare to see anybody actually drinking "coffee" of any form whether pour over (had before was beyond awful) or espresso (which resembles nothing like real espresso thanks to the superauto and poor beans) or drip. 95% of their customers are drinking froo froo cappa caramel super frap tripple double iced mocha lattes lol. Go into a real coffee shop and though they can do the same, the tables have turned and it's rare to see someone order one of those drinks or at least near the crazy multi add on's like *bucks does.

So years ago I would have agreed they paved the doors, nowadays, people just don't know better and majority aren't even drinking coffee but drinks that are so mixed and blended sugar and syrups and crap doesn't even resemble coffee at that point. I make it a point when traveling to google/yelp for real coffee shops or roasters. Especially after the last two experiences where I had to go to a *bucks, iced coffee tasted like a cigarette/cigar had been steeped in it, and some hot caramel latte I got up north last winter was just so bad. I found a local shop/roaster by wifes fams house, took them there, and blew them away.

My wife was a hardcore *bucks chick, like at least twice a day, especially since her office is like a block away from a store. Now, forget about it, refuses to even go there, plus since it's Miami real Cuban coffee is abundant everywhere and much better. That's not to be snobbish, like I said I used to not mind *bucks when they were "real", not now, it's just swill, I'll go to Dunkin Donuts if nothing else is around easily over them. I've had some of her friends over or even mine, including the ones that I know go gagga for them, I make a shot or a drink and their speechless and I don't even have a fancy $$$ setup.

I heard there are a handful of stores they kept with the semi-autos and grinders? Think around Seattle.
Manitobanerd
Manitobanerd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Cafe Roma
Grinder: Hario & blade grinder
Vac Pot: Moka express
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014, 9:27am

In my city I dont have any cafes other than Starbucks and Tim Hortons, so I cant get fresh unless I roast my own/order online/make a trip into the big city (but I dont have a car). However, Im a little strange in that I like the taste of cigars and the smell of cigarettes, so the charred Starbucks actually appeals to me (Ive been avoiding admitting this here, but I figured I might as well just say it). If I had freshly roasted in my town then Id go for that, however, for my taste Starbucks can satisfy me in the mean time.
showing page 7 of 7 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > For Anyone...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.205709934235)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+