Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
For Anyone Skeptical About How Bad Starbucks is...
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > For Anyone...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Manitobanerd
Manitobanerd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Cafe Roma
Grinder: Hario & blade grinder
Vac Pot: Moka express
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014, 12:39pm
Subject: Re: For Anyone Skeptical About How Bad Starbucks is...

DavecUK Said:

I'd rather drink instant coffee than Starbucks....I never thought I'd say it, but there it is....my god man, even if they installed Nespresso machines (or Tassimo or similar) for each of their "baristas", it would be a huge improvement in their coffee.

Posted April 13, 2014 link

Thats your personal taste. It obviously differs from mine, because Id take Starbucks, even their French Roast, over Folgers instant coffee any day. I really dont think its that bad (in my personal opinion).
 View Profile Link to this post
CHenry

Espresso: Olympia Express Maximatic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic Type...
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: none
Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014, 2:22pm

I agree with you. While SB is not my favorite, their stores are pleasant enough and I can't say I have ever not enjoyed my time spent in one. I don't prefer their roast style, and have had much better coffees sourced elsewhere for espresso, but I would not go so far as to say I have found their products undrinkable (I don't buy milked coffee drinks, generally and I don't buy the sugared tall drinks either). On their worst day, they are certainly better than grocery store instant.  Their espresso is not at the level I have had in some very fine if out-of the-way shops (there is one very good shop--a true gem-- in the town of Huntington, PA, Standing Stone Coffee Co. that comes to mind) or what I make at home but it really isn't all that different IME than coffee I get at Caribou or even Intelligentsia. It is way better than what you will get at the typical Gloria Jean's.
Manitobanerd
Manitobanerd

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014, 2:36pm

CHenry Said:

I don't prefer their roast style, and have had much better coffees sourced elsewhere for espresso, but I would not go so far as to say I have found their products undrinkable (I don't buy milked coffee drinks, generally and I don't buy the sugared tall drinks either).

Posted April 13, 2014 link

Their roast style isnt for everyone, especially those looking for light roasts. Im probably not the average coffee drinker around here (it seems to me), because I actually really like dark roasts. Starbucks Italian/French roast is right up my alley, and I will take them over Dunkin/Tim Hortons.

However, *$ is not the freshest, thus why I will probably try and get my hands on a freshly roasted French roast.
JZY

Espresso: Expobar Office Control, Sama...
Grinder: HG1 & Pede
Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014, 3:05pm

I went to StarSucks about a month ago. I hadn't been to one in ages. I could not believe how bad the coffee they served me was.  If I need a coffee while I'm driving somewhere I now use the GPS to find a local coffee shop. No More SB's for me.
Manitobanerd
Manitobanerd

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014, 5:52pm

When comparing Starbucks to specialty roasters, sure theres a lot better out there... However, you can do a lot worse with whats available at the grocery store.
BurnsBeans
BurnsBeans

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Premium Plus
Grinder: Macap Doserless
Drip: Hario
Posted Mon Apr 21, 2014, 3:52am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

I agree.  And for the life of me I wish that people would stop trash talking Starbucks.  I realize it has become a foot in the door to CG for newbies, however God it is getting sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo old.  Give Starbucks credit for opening many many many eyes to better mass produced retail coffee and espresso.

Len

Posted December 17, 2013 link

As a former Starbucks employee, I agree. While its not my coffee of choice, I prefer others (Intelligentsia, Metropolis, etc) They intro'd the culture to a lot. They also take a lot of time to invest in educating both customers and employees alike about the basics of coffee and espresso. In a lot of ways, they have laid the ground work for people who now trash talk them bc Starbucks has become beneath them. :-) Don't hate - it doesn't make one seem any more high brow. Just appreciate your own likes and know they are for you.
DavecUK

Posted Mon Apr 21, 2014, 11:43am

BurnsBeans Said:

As a former Starbucks employee, I agree. While its not my coffee of choice, I prefer others (Intelligentsia, Metropolis, etc) They intro'd the culture to a lot. They also take a lot of time to invest in educating both customers and employees alike about the basics of coffee and espresso. In a lot of ways, they have laid the ground work for people who now trash talk them bc Starbucks has become beneath them. :-) Don't hate - it doesn't make one seem any more high brow. Just appreciate your own likes and know they are for you.

Posted April 21, 2014 link

Id sort of like it had they paid tax in the UK all those years they were trading....even now they "decided" how much they would begin to pay....and yeah their coffee isn't nice either.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Mon Apr 21, 2014, 12:49pm

DavecUK Said:

Id sort of like it had they paid tax in the UK all those years they were trading....even now they "decided" how much they would begin to pay....and yeah their coffee isn't nice either.

Finding ways to not pay taxes is not unique to Starbucks.   I'd say that most big corporations get a break or pay hardly any taxes through deals made with the politicians in charge.  Big Corp Boardroom gets to line their pockets with more $$$ and the State gets a big business to hire their citizens.   I live in Connecticut; I recall years ago that one of the States major Insurance companies informed the State that it would move to New York if they did not give them a huge tax break FOR YEARS.  The State gave it to them.   I am pretty sure that the defense contractors in the State have had it done for them too.  

I am not defending the practice.  Corporate welfare p*sses me off.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Mon Apr 21, 2014, 1:48pm

Well I just think having made a loss every year whilst trading in the UK is a bit laughable....In my mind, this money they don't pay has come from me and everyone else's pocket, we are the ones who lose and I don't even like or drink their coffee. As far as I am concerned starbucks can $%^ off from the UK and I wouldn't shed a tear. In fact if they are making a loss ever since they came here (as they claim), why do they stay....oh right they must be a charity.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014, 5:08am

DavecUK Said:

Well I just think having made a loss every year whilst trading in the UK is a bit laughable....In my mind, this money they don't pay has come from me and everyone else's pocket, we are the ones who lose and I don't even like or drink their coffee. As far as I am concerned starbucks can $%^ off from the UK and I wouldn't shed a tear. In fact if they are making a loss ever since they came here (as they claim), why do they stay....oh right they must be a charity.

You think they are bad you should see General Motors.  A 45 billion dollar tax break while their execs ride high and mighty stuffing their pockets with $$$$:
Click Here (online.wsj.com)

Older article but illustrates the issue.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 6 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > For Anyone...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.329617023468)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+