Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
For Anyone Skeptical About How Bad Starbucks is...
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > For Anyone...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Manitobanerd
Manitobanerd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Cafe Roma
Grinder: Hario & blade grinder
Vac Pot: Moka express
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014, 7:12pm
Subject: Re: For Anyone Skeptical About How Bad Starbucks is...

Snaxx Said:

I'd take Tim Hortons over Charbukks anyday.  For just needing a coffee while traveling, Timmies would be #1, and Mcd, #2.  Dunkin Donuts isn't too bad.  It has it's own flavor notes, not something I can describe, just unlike any other, though often on the mild side.  For some reason, I've found many bagel shops such as Einstein Bagels to have good coffee.  Most other fast food places like BK, RBies, Windies, are a waste of time.  

Ken

Posted April 4, 2014 link

I like Timmies, McDonalds, and Starbucks all in their own way. Timmies would be best with cream/sugar served hot, McDonalds as an iced coffee, and Starbucks made in french press/pour over with milk or cream. It just depends what Im in the mood for. I found DD coffee made cold brew is so smooth it can be drank black and wasn't bad. YMMV.
 View Profile Link to this post
Manitobanerd
Manitobanerd

Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014, 7:16pm

SproBro Said:

I guess that is to say, I'd still drink the coffee I make if all the sudden it didn't have caffeine anymore.

Posted April 4, 2014 link

If coffee didnt have caffeine anymore, than Id probably drink even more than I already do!
Goldensncoffee
Goldensncoffee
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Breville Smart, Skerton
Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 9:34am

I used to love Starbucks. The car dealership I used to work at had a thing there that would grind and brew coffee. I thought it was just the best...especially the Caffe Verona. Never cared for DD. (I drink them all black BTW). Now that I'm roasting myself, there's really no commercial coffee that comes close (except of course a real roaster that knows what they're doing lol ) I still will use their beans for an iced chemex which I like.
Manitobanerd
Manitobanerd

Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 12:31pm

I dont get all the starbucks hate, maybe its because the specialty coffee world is so much fresher and better, but to a noob like me (who actually likes dark/oily/charred beans every once in a while) then there great. However, go easy on me you guys because Im sure once I try fresh stuff from a reputable roaster, then Ill know why the coffeegeeks dont like Starbucks!
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 2:11pm

Manitobanerd Said:

I dont get all the starbucks hate, maybe its because the specialty coffee world is so much fresher and better, but to a noob like me (who actually likes dark/oily/charred beans every once in a while) then there great. However, go easy on me you guys because Im sure once I try fresh stuff from a reputable roaster, then Ill know why the coffeegeeks dont like Starbucks!

Posted April 6, 2014 link

At least you are not the usual type of newbie who comes in trashing Starbucks just to endear themselves to the regulars.  So I give you high grades just for that.  I really do not think that everyone on this board hates Starbucks.  Its just not their 1st stop for the best coffee.  Starbucks does have a couple good coffees; I have enjoyed their Espresso Roast ground for drip or French Press.  Their House Blend had a decent taste and was a good eye opener for morning travels.  I liked it better than their Pike Place and when I used to frequent starbucks I was disappointed in their not offering it any longer in their stores.  Some franchises still have it (like in Barnes & Noble). Their superauto espressos are lacking, flat tasting with hardly any crema; basically just good machines for making their mixed drinks where I guess the money is.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Manitobanerd
Manitobanerd

Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 3:04pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Their superauto espressos are lacking, flat tasting with hardly any crema; basically just good machines for making their mixed drinks where I guess the money is.

Len

I do agree, however, me being a dark roasted fan, i liked 'charbucks' espresso better than Tim Hortons espresso! Just cause Timmies is Canadian doesnt mean I should support them. Sure Tim's regular coffee is good with cream and sugar, but drink it black and its really not that great.  Tims is however pretty good for their hot food items/sweets (donuts, ect.).
Manitobanerd
Manitobanerd

Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 3:08pm

Remember people, when I say i didnt mind charbucks espresso, thats only because i dont have much to compare it to!
arcade

Espresso: Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sun Apr 6, 2014, 4:53pm

IMHO Starbucks is to coffee as McDonalds is to the hamburger, Arby's is to roast beef, Dunkin is to the donut, Olive Garden is to Italian food, Dairy Queen is to ice cream. Etc., Etc...............What a country. Luckily there are alternatives
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Apr 7, 2014, 9:24am

Manitobanerd Said:

It's mainly b/c, and don't take this the wrong way, you don't know better. Just like the guy that's only had McD's burgers and thinks their the greatest thing b/c he's never had better, or the person buying frozen gag-me Bubba burgers at the grocery store lol. Starbucks over burns/chars their beans hence why their coffee in general has a cigarette/ashy taste, and when you buy the beans their already 6+ months stale. There are plenty of roasters who actually know how to roast "dark", and one taste of a real roasters dark even if oily bean/blend, and you'll see just how bad Starbucks is. They ruin everything lol, I remember trying their Jamaican Blue and it was awful, they managed to even ruin that bean, while still charging the same price that "real" roaster does.

I'm sure most of us were all there at some point, I was, and used to think Starbucks is where it's at. Now even on trips we go out of our way to avoid it and google/yelp areas where we are for real coffee shops or roasters. Starbucks used to be decent, or at least a lot better then they are now, they actually had La Marzocco Machines and Mazzer Grinders, and even if the beans were the best, people that worked there at least knew how to make coffee and even steam milk. Now they have superautos which suck in general period, and with their (I think) even lower quality beans then before, what comes out is just swill.

But it's all personal taste, there are people who will still prefer it, or even something like Folgers over fresh...
Manitobanerd
Manitobanerd

Posted Mon Apr 7, 2014, 10:11am

CMIN Said:

It's mainly b/c, and don't take this the wrong way, you don't know better.

Posted April 7, 2014 link

Its true, i have barely had real espresso, but will try freshly roasted, probably a dark or medium/dark roast espresso from a cafe near me when I get the chance (I dont have a car, and will possibly order online too).
showing page 4 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > For Anyone...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.332968950272)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+