Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Individual disposable Coffee filters
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Individual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
georgia_howard

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 6:15am
Subject: Individual disposable Coffee filters

Hi Everyone,

Just wanting your opinion on these Individual disposable Coffee filters that you can buy at the supermarket.
I am a big lover of fresh coffee however its not always available, especially when i'm at the office 9-5 Monday till Friday. Work colleague recommended them but they are new to me??

Has anyone tried these and what are they like?
Much appreciated.

Georgia
 View Profile Link to this post
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 11:14am
Subject: Re: Individual disposable Coffee filters

Hi Georgia,

They're better than instant, but you'd usualy need 2 to make decent mugfull (gets expensive & not very environmentally friendly?). I have found them a little stale & bitter to drink black, but can be tolerable with a drop of milk/cream.

Lots of people have found the Aeropress to be a quick, convenient, low mess brewer for office coffees. You don't have to brew a concentrate (as per packaging instructions), you can just use one scoop of coffee and brew a whole mugful in one hit?

Regards, Mark.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 12:19pm

Georga,
Welcome to the board.

I guess I really don't understand the product you are talking about. I have seen the pods you can make coffee with, Philips makes a brewer for them. I have seen K cups which is made by among others Keruig. I have seen pods for inexpensive espresso machines and I think I may even have seen a coffee that had bags, like tea bags.

When you say disposable coffee filters, I think of the liners for auto drip machines and manual cones.

It seems that Mark understands what you are talking about but I am lost :O Perhaps a product name?

When I make Aeropress, I simply make as per the instructions but inverted. This gives a concentraded brew which is easily made to be like drip coffee with the addition of a little water which I have on hand in the electric water kettle.

The Philips machine can make a drinkable cup as can the Keruig machine. It is nothing to rave about but it is completely drinkable.
EDIT
OK, I just noticed that you are both on the "other side of the pond" from me, perhaps that is why I am not aware of the product you asked about, sorry!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 1:48pm

They're plastic, pre-packaged, one-shot pourovers (preground coffee sandwiched between sheets of filter paper in the flat-bottomed base), available in supermarkets & even *proudly* advertised & used in some high street coffee shops. There are a couple of well known brands in the UK, a few supermarkets have their own versions.

Perhaps there is no US equivalent? K-cups are pretty much unheard of here.

Regards, Mark.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 6:56pm

Thanks!
It sounds like an interesting product. I would guess that for most "regular" coffee drinkers, they would be fine but just about any pre ground/packaged coffee will be sub par for most here.
I admit I don't even walk down the coffee aisle in the supermarket so I may not be up on the latest trend but I have not seen any advertisement for them either so it seems that there is no similar product here... thus my being in the dark.

Thanks again for the info!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
georgia_howard

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 7:33am

Thanks for responses and welcoming, much appreciated.

I did manage to get my hands on a pack of 10 from Tescos this weekend which cost 2.09 (about 21p a cup). Could be pretty expensive Mark, especially if you need to use 2 for one good cup of coffee. There where other brands, rombouts, Douwe Egburts who also manufactured these disposable filters at a higher price.

I tried them out first thing this morning and I do have to say I thought they tasted pretty good, lets say a huge amount nicer than instant. I found them very convenient, quick and easy to use. Not much time difference in making a cup of tea. However! They are a complete waste of material, mainly made from plastic besides the actual filter paper, and used only once and then disposed of. I felt pretty guilty disposing of them. Not environmentally friendly at all!  Also I could imagine them to be pretty dangerous when pouring in the boiling water if you haven't got the right size cup to place the filter on securely. I cant help but imagine a lot of burnt hands in the process.

Using a aeropress could be very useful and something I will definitely consider when at the office, however I don't find them as convenient as these individual disposable filters. They are very quick and simple to use, no maintenance at all which is good.  You can use maybe use while on the go, rushing out the house on a hectic Monday morning or maybe even camping for example. I really do like the concept but definitely see room for improvement.

Thanks again for info. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Georgia
Vickyforster

Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013, 7:25pm

Hi Georgia,

I would like to say I have to agree with you in that they are a lot better than instant coffee!.  Being a nurse and never having a spare minute when at work, I find them very useful to use as they are quick and easy to make and tastes great. My husband takes the kids camping quite a lot and he took the filters with him then. He said they were great and would defiantly use them again.
I have to say being a big fan of saving the planet agree with you that they are a waste of material!!  Such a shame. I have reduced my usage of them for this reason when at work and just stick to using instant occasionally instead even though instant coffee just doesn't give me that kick I need half of the time. I have tried coffee bags when at work to see if they are any better than instant but found them just the same, thin weak coffee which equals not good coffee!

Regards Vik
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Thu Nov 28, 2013, 6:30am

Disposable coffee filters are good in offices having a coffee machine. People use this not to bother in washing and keeping cabinet. However, the taste of coffee using the disposable coffee filters are not the same with metal coffee filters. That coffee has a better, richer and flavorful taste because oil is getting through in a disposable coffee filter.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Individual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.21645283699)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+