Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Can I have your opinion on this sale?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Can I have your...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
schiarelli

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 11:14am
Subject: Re: Can I have your opinion on this sale?

Ok guys, just to clarify, I went home last night and removed my shower head to clean everything up. The gasket is there. I played around with different grinder settings and tamping pressures and finally was able to pull successful shots.  But I am running at 12 psi, I think I need to adjust the OPV.
 View Profile Link to this post
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 1:29pm

The OPV is easy to reach with the top cover off.  10mm wrench. Try adjusting to 10-10.5 with a blind basket.  
.... but you may find the valve body will leak as the seal backs out of the body. I (and many others)
had to cut the spring to get it in the good range. I have read of others compressing the spring and someone bored the spring seat deeper (not the valve seat!)   .....hope you are handy with such tasks.
schiarelli

Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 1:34pm

Ill try this over the weekend, I am mechanically inclined but I dont know if I feel comfortable modifying the valve unless I have pictures or a video to follow.  Has anyone made a tutorial for this?
Frost
Frost

Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 1:52pm

You can adjust down until you reach the point it starts to drip, then tighten until it just stops (this leak is on the low pressure side of the valve, not the brew pressure side) This should at least get below 11 bar.
It's been so long since I did this (within the first week of getting the  machine) I don't recall specifics...

Very little shortening of the spring is required; Set the OPV to your brew pressure. Now measure how far you need to tighten the OPV to stop the dripping. ....now get out your caliper and measure.
Also, be sure you do the calibration with the boiler hot as the OPV is on the hot side (...yes, I know )

A quick search of 'Isomac Venus' here and on HB will turn up some pictures and details.

PLEASE unplug the machine anytime you are wrenching under the hood. this is so important for safety!
schiarelli

Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 1:58pm

*so confused*

I am so new to this world entirely, I still kinda dont fully understand the purpose of the OPV.  Need to do more research...
Frost
Frost

Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 2:28pm

Sorry there are so many machines that brew pressure is set too high. Year after year they continue to roll off the assembly line.

The Over Pressure Valve is really required only as a safety devise to release boiler expansion pressure should it climb to dangerous explosive levels. ( Many machines the OPV never opens during normal brewing.)
In this case brew pressure is determined only by the 'pressure/volume' curve of the pump; ristretto will be higher pressure, lungo will be lower.

Somewhere along the way, many years ago, coffeegeeks figured out you can also use the OPV to regulate proper brew pressure.

You can just leave it alone and try to brew at 12 bar.... I think that is a waste of time, taste and coffee myself.
(edit; actually, if your meter is at 12, brew pressure is closer to 11-11.5 bar; still too high.)
schiarelli

Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 9:34pm

need to clarify something.  when you say bar, do you mean psi? 1 bar = 14.7 psi
Frost
Frost

Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 10:09pm

The black outer numbers on your pressure gauge are Bar. The inner red numbers are psi.
Yes, 1 bar = 14.7 psi. I'm talking Bar, not psi...
schiarelli

Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 11:12pm

oh i see, my mistake.  wow thats some serious pressure...
GoodTwin
GoodTwin

Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 2:11am

Looks ancient, but stylish. Hopefully it'll work do! You have any guarantee?
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Can I have your...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.230416059494)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+