Coffee: General Discussion
Best coffee beans on a budget?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Best coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
alrdye

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Capresso 560.01 Infinity...
Vac Pot: French Press
Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 3:48am
Subject: Best coffee beans on a budget?

Hello all. I'm a recent convert to the joys of coffee drinking and I'm wondering which websites you prefer to purchase your coffee beans at. My personal preference is to drink coffee black due to my desire to enjoy the coffee for its actual flavor and because it's a low calorie option to the many variations available. With that in mind I'm looking for a couple of websites that offer quality, flavorful coffee beans for a reasonable price. I primarily use a french press but a friend will be lending me his Bialetti Brikka stovetop percolator to try as well. As a noob I started out with a cheap blade "grinder" but have just ordered a, relatively, inexpensive conical burr grinder.

On a side note, if you also happen to know of a good website to get fresh tea from I'd be grateful. I'm interested in expanding my tea brewing skills and knowledge as well.

Thanks for your time,

Adam
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 4:55am
Subject: Re: Best coffee beans on a budget?

Hey Adam!  Welcome to CG!

Where about are you located?  Depending on your location buying roasted online might be a tad expensive due to shipping costs. I know of a few here in Ontario.  Another option to consider would be to eventually roast your own coffee.  With the right roaster and a bit of reading it's a sinch.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
alrdye

Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 5:04am

I live in central North Carolina, USA (east coast). I'm not sure I'm ready to get into roasting just yet. I'd prefer to work on my brewing skills first. :)

I found a couple of websites that look reputable, chriscoffee.com & ourcoffeebarn.com, but I haven't ordered yet from either. Chriscoffee.com only sells beans in 5 lb bags and I don't want to purchase that much without sampling first. Fair trade beans are a plus but not a requirement.

Thanks again.
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 5:06am

Dear alrdye,

You are withholding your location information from your profile.  This limits the ability to offer advice based on your local resources.  Buying beans from a good local roaster is your best option.  Not only are they the freshest, but there is no shipping to pay.

You are also being somewhat private about your grinder.  Believe me, the folks here at CG are very knowledgeable about coffee and you would be surprised at the alchemy that the interaction between roast, grinder, and  brew method can produce.  There are few, if any, trollish correspondents on this site and quite a few uber-experienced baristas, home-baristas and expert aficianados.  Holding back will not benefit you in the long run.

To answer your question, most, not all, discussions about quality mail order center on roasts for espresso extraction, but brewing is here on CG, as well.  Use the search function for 'mail-order' or 'shipping' under the 'coffee' subheading or 'espresso' subheading.  Our search engine is pretty primitive, however.  The best search is to use google and enter 'site:coffeegeek.com' as one of the search items to limit the search to this web site (do not omit the colon).  This information is already here, and rich in content; look for it.  Many, many posters like Redbird out of Montana for their roast quality and their low shipping rates.  If you like a roast that you find (try it first!), then many roasters online offer discounted, flat rate, or free shipping for 2-5 pounds.  If you have a decent refrigerator freezer, buy a small box of freezer ziplocks and freeze the roasts in small quantities.  Each bag should last only 5 days to one week.  Do not refreeze or refrigerate a bag once you take it out of the freezer; leave it in a dark drawer or cupboard.  There are those who will tell you using well-sealed glass jars are better and using a chest-type deep freeze is best; they are right, but not all of us have those.

Regarding tea, teasource.com is all you need to know for tea selection and knowledge base, IMO.  If you like herbal teas, do not miss 'enening in missoula'.

Buckley
alrdye

Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 5:27am

I've updated my details. My equipment is pretty entry level. Thank you also for the information. :)

-Adam
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 5:49am

In Durham N. C. a very fine, well known roaster "Counter Culture" Look 'em up.

Skylar
Buckley

Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 6:03am

I second Counter Culture.  I just bought a bag of their 'Rustico' (for espresso infusion) yesterday!

Buckley
alrdye

Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 8:07am

I emailed Counter Culture and was very happy to learn that the Winston Salem Whole Foods carries their beans.  FYI to anyone in the area.

I am really looking forward to trying their product. They have great reviews online.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 8:21am

+1 on C.C.'s beans!  Be careful at W.F. though, they tend to not care much about freshness (my guess is they're merely under-educated inre what fresh means for roasted coffee beans).  The good news is that C.C. knows and cares, so the roast date should be on the packages.

Online, about the cheapest high quality beans I know is Redbird Coffee (www.redbirdcoffee.com).  I recommend ordering on the weekend.  They're located in Bozeman, Montana.  I live in Houston, Texas and their freshly roasted (on Tuesday) beans arrive at my door on Thursday, like clockwork.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 9:04am

alrdye Said:

I emailed Counter Culture and was very happy to learn that the Winston Salem Whole Foods carries their beans.  FYI to anyone in the area.

I am really looking forward to trying their product. They have great reviews online.

Posted November 4, 2013 link

I always see Counter Culture beans at Whole Foods, and always 1-3+ months old.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Best coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.243707895279)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+