Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Best cheap espresso machine for office use
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Best cheap...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
schiarelli

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 10:51am
Subject: Best cheap espresso machine for office use

I got the people in my office to all chip in for a $100 Nespresso machine.  I'm still a coffee n00b but I think it makes pretty good espresso for 100 bucks, but id really like something with a steam wand.  Is there ANY other option?  I found a Lavazza Point Matinee in the local ads for $90 but it doesnt work, not sure if its worth looking into.

Any advice?
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 11:12am
Subject: Re: Best cheap espresso machine for office use

In the "cheapest espresso machine' world yeah it's not bad for capsules.  Illy is better IMO tho.  Their machine looks cool too.   For $100 tho I'd go with a Delonghi EC155. You can use ese pods. :)  It has a frothing wand too.

For a little better espresso feel/frothing Id go with a cheap semi auto instead or keep you eye out for a used super auto machine.  I have been seeing a lot of them on eBay.

If you like Nespresso & Lavazza then Illy will blow your mind.  The best pre ground I have really liked and would ever choose.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
schiarelli

Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 12:30pm

Ok, maybe after we run out of nespresso pods I will bring it back and pick up a Delonghi.  That thing looks pretty awesome for 100 bucks
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 6:36am

Looking for a cheap espresso machine nowadays is no longer a problem. You probably think that coffee machine for office use is expensive but there are some cheap ones available online.

Anyway, I recommend Mr. Coffee ECM160 Espresso machine. Just check out some user's review to guide you in finding a cheap one. You can have steam espresso coffee out of this machine and itís affordable.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Oct 11, 2013, 9:14am

Please do NOT take the advice above about the ECM160. It is a steam toy, and is NOT able to do much more than scald the coffee and make a sort of espresso like muck from the pressurized portafilter.

Steam powered toys, do not develop enough pressure to make espresso and they scald the coffee grounds with the steam, they do not brew with 195 to 205f WATER.

Unless you plan to spend three times your budget on a low end espresso grinder PLUS your budget for a low end used espresso machine AND train someone to use it and keep it clean, you are better off with a pod machine. It will never be great espresso but most people likely will not complain much, you still have the issue of steaming milk and the cleanup that goes with that process but for a rock bottom budget, that is about where you are.

Often for office situations, we advise a superauto machine. We do not favor them for us as they are too limiting and most often produce only so so espresso and they tend to break often, but they are easy to use for people who do not want to get involved in the ART of espresso.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Oct 14, 2013, 7:19pm

Nespresso is a great alternative to a manual setup.  Although you cannot use your own coffee (well, there are ways but it's a hassle), the coffee is great and they have a very good selection.  No, it doesn't compare to a specialty cafe, but it is loads better than any of Starbucks or any of the other mainstream coffee shop, and if you make lattes the difference from a properly poured latte at a specialty shop latte is slim.

For making latte's easily and cheaply with the Nespresso, may I suggest the following method that doesn't require a steam wand.  Using a cheap frothing wand you can make "steamed milk" ever bit as good as a steam wand.  BTW, don't go out and by a $25 Aerolatte.. They have a thicker wand that doesn't spin as fast as cheap $2 frothing wand you can pick up at IKEA or in my case, a Japanese gift shop in Little Toyko.

I suggest using 6oz of milk for a single shot of Nespresso.  Use a glass pitcher and microwave it for 1:15.   If you must have latte art, you'll need a SS frothing pitcher to free pour.  Otherwise the Pyrex pitcher will do just fine.  

Here is a quick video I made to demonstrate how easy and quick it is to make very delicious latte.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Vnvnza4t8

PS. here is a video on how to use your frothing wand to create microfoam and do latte art.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hby0HmVCno
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Best cheap...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.226472854614)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+