Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Beethoven, the first Coffee Geek?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Beethoven, the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
BertieDoe
BertieDoe
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Pasquini K2, Nemox Lux
Roaster: Hottop, Precision
Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 12:14pm
Subject: Beethoven, the first Coffee Geek?

Well, perhaps not the first but probably the first celebrity coffee geek. I heard on the radio that Beethoven was a bit obsessive with regard to coffee. He counted out 60 beans every time he had a brew.

Sounds perfectly normal behaviour but I'm glad I've got a pocket scales. I counted out 60 of my Monsooned Malabar and 60 of my E. Haraar and got approx. 8g and 7g respectively.

I guess coffee from Ethiopia was available in the 18th Century, but what was the "Glass coffee contraption" mentioned in this blog? Click Here (lvbandmore.blogspot.co.uk)
 View Profile Link to this post
Snaxx

Grinder: Capresso Infinity burr
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: I Roast2
Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 9:03pm
Subject: Re: Beethoven, the first Coffee Geek?

Wayyyy back around the middle of the last century, there used to be a radio advertisement for Nescafe instant coffee, just a short catchy jingle stating:  "You get 43 beans in every cup of Nescafe instant coffee."  

Click Here (forgottenhits60s.blogspot.com)

Now even though I was just a little kid at the time and certainly a long way off from becoming a coffeeholic, that little jingle still pops into my head from time to time when I'm scooping beans into the grinder.  I'm thinking I was somewhere around 10 or 12 years old when that radio spot ended.  It's strange that I should still find thoughts of it as part of my coffee making ritual.

Anyway, the standard coffee scoop I use for measuring averages about 86 beans across the level.  A normal morning pot in my Technivorm uses 3 scoops, and water is measured to the 8 cup line.  That means one coffee cup amount in the European Technivorm measure contains 32.25 beans.  But, since most of my coffee cups are at least a normal cup, that means I only get 4 servings out of the morning pot, which means 64.5 beans are needed for an average cup.  Not too far off from that figure of 60 beans.  Looking back at that Nescafe promise of 43 beans in every cup, it just shows that you're going to get a pretty weak cup of mediocre coffee with that recipe for their instant swill.

Ken
outrigger

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 11:57pm

JS Bach might not have been a Coffeegeek, definitely he wrote the "Kaffeekantate":

Click Here (en.wikipedia.org)

about 1734! to describe this addiction....
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy

Espresso: Bezzera Magica, Mypressi...
Grinder: K10PB, Vario, Hario Slim
Vac Pot: I have a Dyson vacuum, but,...
Drip: Aeropress, Bialetti Brikka,...
Posted Fri Oct 4, 2013, 4:03am

Is it safe to assume that if Beethoven were alive, with access to today's espresso gear, he would invest in a Mazzer "C" Major and Nuova Simonelli Musica? Groan.
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 9:28pm

My understanding is that this work was a protest piece.  Apparently the brewers were feeling the pinch from the popularity of coffee and prevailed upon the government to institute a ban or at least severe restrictions on coffee.  J.S. Bach loved his coffee and found this intolerable.  I believe his Coffee Cantata brought about a lifting of the ban.

Phil

outrigger Said:

JS Bach might not h ave been a Coffeegeek, definitely he wrote the "Kaffeekantate":

Click Here (en.wikipedia.org)

about 1734! to describe this addiction....

Posted October 3, 2013 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BertieDoe
BertieDoe

Posted Sat Oct 12, 2013, 5:26pm

Snaxx Said:

Wayyyy back around the middle of the last century, there used to be a radio advertisement for Nescafe instant coffee, just a short catchy jingle stating:  "You get 43 beans in every cup of Nescafe instant coffee."  

Click Here (forgottenhits60s.blogspot.com)
Ken

Posted October 3, 2013 link

The only tv ad I remember is the one for Pepsodent http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/422100.html

I'll guess we'll never know what Beethoven's "glass coffee contraption" was. Early press pots were made of metal, I believe.
outrigger

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Oct 13, 2013, 8:46am

@ BertieDoe,

Sorry for drifting away from your question;

this is the original hand written page from LvBeethoven where he wrote about the "steam machine" :

Click Here (www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de)

According to other researcher, this should be the Coffee-Machine (see Fig. 14 in the page) Beethoven wrote about:

http://dingler.culture.hu-berlin.de/article/pj013/ar013095

Which was given a Patent in London 1822.
Maybe "Glass coffee contraption" is the interpretation of that machine?

Anton Schindler, biographer of L v Beethoven, wrote on page 264 about his 60 beans habit.
BertieDoe
BertieDoe

Posted Sun Oct 13, 2013, 11:15am

outrigger Said:

@ BertieDoe,

http://dingler.culture.hu-berlin.de/article/pj013/ar013095
Which was given a Patent in London 1822.
Maybe "Glass coffee contraption" is the interpretation of that machine?

Posted October 13, 2013 link

Nice bit of research and thank goodness for Google Translator :) You maybe right, it looks a likely contender. It seems a complicated device when compared with the humble Press Pot, which was invented many years later :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_press
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Beethoven, the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.289513111115)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+