Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Can I have your opinion on this sale?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Can I have your...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
schiarelli

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Oct 8, 2013, 5:34am
Subject: Can I have your opinion on this sale?

Hi, I am new to this forum.  I have been progressively getting more and more into the coffee scene and I think its time to buy a real espresso machine!  

What do you guys think of this sale?  The seller is asking $600, which is a bit more than I was hoping to spend, but it comes with the Rocky and looks like I wont need to buy anything else, is that right?  The seller states that it's lightly used and has been kept clean and cared for.  I was looking for a Silvia, but this looks nice too, maybe even nicer.  Any of your expert advice would be really great.  

Thanks,
Sal

schiarelli: Isomac Venus.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Oct 8, 2013, 6:12am
Subject: Re: Can I have your opinion on this sale?

Go for it. :)  The Isomac Venus goes for $800 new + The Rocky $350 new.  Your getting it all for about half the price used plus about another $100 in accessories.  I don't have any hands on but 1st line reads it has good internals.  

Isomac Venus Espresso Machine
Rancilio Rocky Espresso Grinder

Has a few things over the Silvia.  Pressure Gauge, Thermal fuse to stop the boiler from overheating if it run's dry, + higher wattage element so you will get slightly faster recovery over the Silvia.  

If you decide to buy I'd buy new burrs for the Silvia.  This is a good starter setup.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
schiarelli

Posted Tue Oct 8, 2013, 6:36am

Burner0000, thanks for the quick reply.  I am now more confident and will pursue the sale.

If anyone else has hands on experience with this machine, please chime in.
DavecUK

Posted Tue Oct 8, 2013, 10:15am

schiarelli Said:

Burner0000, thanks for the quick reply.  I am now more confident and will pursue the sale.

If anyone else has hands on experience with this machine, please chime in.

Posted October 8, 2013 link

Quite a bit, I reviewed one perhaps 6 years ago,

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/isomac-venus

Link leads to spec sheet, detailed review and photos, including internals....I am of course far more critical of machines nowadays, but don't tend to review machines in that bottom end price bracket any more..

enjoy

Dave
schiarelli

Posted Tue Oct 8, 2013, 12:17pm

Looks like a nice machine, if I get my hand on it I'll let you guys know.  I was also worried about resale value, but it looks like that is not an issue here.
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 7:53am

I have been using the Isomac Venus daily for 6+ years now. It's a solid quality built machine and much better behaved than Silvia for temperature and water dispersion. Great deal there, go for it!

On the Rocky, check that the threads are tight on the burr adjustment. These are somewhat delicate and when there is play ,  grind consistency and quality suffers.  (there is a 'fix'  using plumbers tape)
schiarelli

Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 7:19pm

I got it! I played with it all evening, seems like a great machine.  But I am having issues with the naked portafilter, after a few seconds into the brew, it starts squirting out of the sides!  Anyone encounter this ever?
schiarelli

Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 4:22am

Also, the puck isn't much of a puck but more of a soupy mess...
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 4:49am

That's why the naked portafilter is awesome! :)  It's shows you what you did wrong.  The spritzing came from areas in the puck with too little resistance.  If you don't evenly distribute and evenly tamp you coffee this will happen.  In your case there probably wasn't enough coffee around the sides of the basket.  Also purge steam from the portafilter just before you pull. Too much steam built up from a long machine warm up or if you brewing right after steaming the back pressure of steam can obliterate your puck! Just purge water before your brew This will rinse your shower screen too. :)  

1. Evenly distribute the correct amount of coffee for the basket you are using.  (double basket = 14-15 g)
  2. Firmly and evenly leveled tamp
  3. Purge excess steam from the group for 1-3 seconds, lock in the portafilter and brew.

For tamping I find the "nutating tamp" is a great technique. I almost never get bad extraction with this.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
schiarelli

Posted Thu Oct 10, 2013, 5:28am

No it wasnt spritzing from the bottom of the pod, it was leaking from around the seal between the top of the pod and the machine
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Can I have your...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.240328073502)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+