Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Ristretto shot is the best!
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Ristretto shot...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 9:55am
Subject: Re: Ristretto shot is the best!

You NEVER use steam to pull a shot, ristretto or otherwise. I have serious doubts about that coffee company.

It is a restricted shot, apx half of a regular shot, taking the same time to pull as a normal shot, it is achieved by grinding finer to restrict the flow of water through the puck.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 12:09pm

Josephhh Said:

Well, I do agree on the idea of getting a Ristretto is to put finer grain but look what the brand Agosti is saying about Ristretto and Espresso.

Espresso

The shot of coffee, which are prepared by forcing pressurised steam through ground roasted coffee beans:
Espresso is an extraction of 30mL of pressured steam for approximately 25-30 seconds. The extraction should appear as honey like, with the crèma having a light brown/straw uniform colour. The amount of coffee used should be 7g to 9g.

Ristretto

Ristretto is an extraction of 15mL of pressured steam for approximately 12 – 15 seconds. The amount of coffee used is the same as the espresso. A Ristretto captures a concentration of the bean oils and flavour and thus produces a ‘stronger’ or bolder and fuller coffee.

source: http://www.agosti.com.au/vipmembers/recipes/

Posted September 18, 2013 link

Sounds like a company who has no clue what their doing lol, using steam?!? I wouldn't even taste that, a 12-15 second ristretto? lol . All a ristretto is, is a .5oz shot pulled in the same time as what a normal shot is, just with finer grounds. Thats it.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 12:21pm

CMIN Said:

Sounds like a company who has no clue what their doing lol, using steam?!? I wouldn't even taste that, a 12-15 second ristretto? lol . All a ristretto is, is a .5oz shot pulled in the same time as what a normal shot is, just with finer grounds. Thats it.

Posted September 18, 2013 link

+1

I prefer to stick to the Italian standard, Instituto Nazionale Espresso Italiano, aka INEI for my reference in defining what is and is not espresso.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 11:38am

NobbyR Said:

I agree. IMHO that's the only correct way to pull a ristretto.

Posted September 10, 2013 link

emradguy Said:

agreed. simply stopping a shot halfway through is not the way most people make a ristretto...that's just "half of a shot"

calblacksmith Said:

Yes, never stop the shot half way, both shots take the same time.

Yes, yes, a thousand times YES . . . .

CoffeeLoversMag Said:

Yes, a ristretto taste differs from other coffee preparation. It is very strong concentrated espresso because it has small quantity of liquid. It tastes good like an espresso since it is done with the right pouring, timing and grinding of beans.

The method of preparing this is just simple - an espresso that has been stopped half way through so that it will not be as concentrated or syrupy. It is really perfect to anyone looking for luxurious experience of coffee.

AGAIN with the misinformation?!?!?!?

P-u-u-u-u-l-l-e-e-e-e-e-z-e stop.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
fluke
fluke
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Elegance 2 group,...
Grinder: SJ, RR45, Zip
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: toddy
Roaster: KKTO inspired
Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 9:08pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

AGAIN with the misinformation?!?!?!?

P-u-u-u-u-l-l-e-e-e-e-e-z-e stop.

Posted September 22, 2013 link

I can't figure this guy out either, I love your comments in the grinder thread. I could have sworn coffeeloversmag was a social media bot from the silly non sequitur posts; but a little background checking points to an actual person with an interesting, unique take on things. I can think of another member from down under who makes me shake my head in puzzlement, whenever he posts.

Back on topic, I dropped into a friendly local coffee shop here in Aptos CA for the first time (primarily out of interest in their super dog friendly patio) and ordered a double against my better judgment. Even then, I was so surprised at what I was handed, that I marked & brought the paper cup home to measure yield. Just shy of a 4oz lungo. Drinkable given the context, but a bit depressing in a way - I doubt if many of their customers are very concerned with the differences between a ristretto vs. lungo shot. It all gets buried in a milk drink.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Ristretto shot...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.307898044586)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+