Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Coffee Cart Advice
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Coffee Cart...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Josephhh

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 3:50am
Subject: Coffee Cart Advice

Hi All,

I am planning to start a coffee cart business, And I am looking for information regarding the whole system. ( I am a mechanical engineer I have been working with a Protuguese coffee brand to install machines and planning of maintenance)

Well, I love coffee and serving people and specilally coffee. So I had this ides a long time ago and I was thinking I was the first one that had this idea ( coz in my country there is no coffee cart) but when I start looking for this I ve found myself really outstripped.

I am planning to have 2 group spring lever machine running on propane. and RV batteries with DC to AC converter to run the grinder and refrigerator...
I am looking to install solar panels to charge the batteries during duty to give more autonomy.
I am not sure if its better to use a Aprillia Ape or a small van like Altocafe have ( image in www.altocafe.com).

Please give more information about this business, I am all ears.

Many thanks

Youssef
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 6:09am
Subject: Re: Coffee Cart Advice

I was thinking...47 views and no replies...surely something could be said?  But now, after reading your post...I'm understand...it's not really clear what your question/s is/are.  Can you be more specific about what you want to know?  Or maybe you just need help from someone already in the cart business?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Josephhh

Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 8:20am

Well

I have two questions?

If the solar panels are good to add more autonomy to the batteries?
And what are the things I need to know to choose between treewheel moto like Aprillia Ape50 or the small van like Altocafe have ( image in www.altocafe.com).

And I am looking for advice and help about the cart business. things that I should take care of.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 9:49am

My personal feeling is that solar cells will not produce enough to make much of a difference but I do not play with them. I do know that I can buy a pretty low power unit, like less than 1 watt but it is so large that you would need to use it like an umbrella .

The vehicle to use? I think it would come down to what you can get your hands on and how much weight you need to carry and how much space you need. LP powered machine and lever operated will cut down on the electrical needs for sure. A couple of large RV batteries likely will do the job depending on how much your grinder etc draw and if you will need any lights.

In the U.S. you would also need a sink, fresh water tank, water heater and a holding tank for the soiled water from the sink. I know you are not in the U.S. but a sink is a mandatory thing to keep your equipment clean.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Josephhh

Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 10:17am

Thanks for the advice.

Of course I will need a sink and fresh water tank and holding tank for the grey water, but what is the use of the Water heater if i can get hot water from the machine?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 2:25pm

Washing dishes and hands.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Josephhh

Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 4:41am

I have another question.

I need to serve Americain coffee. I have to buy a machine for that or I can use the Espresso machine?
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 5:35am

americano?  Is that what you mean?  It's espresso diluted with hot water.  A wonderful alternative to drip, so in either case (drip v americano) you don't need another machine.

Josephhh

Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 6:59am

Yes Americano.

So just I have to make espresso and add hot water. usually espresso is 25ml how much hot water do i need to add? the same amount?

Is it as good as driped coffee with filter machine?
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 7:29am

I personally think it's better than drip filter, and truth be told, is probably more akin to press pot than drip. You might want to consider I pretty much only drink espresso (without and with milk) and press pot, when viewing my opinion.  When my Mom comes to visit, I pull her a double into an 11 oz cup, then flush the group clean, and then top off her cup with water from the group. So, we're talking about a dilution of 1 part espresso to about 3 parts water.  Some people will mostly fill the cup with hot water first, then pull the shot into it.  This is typically called a long black.  Supposedly, the crema is preserved better that way.  I've never tried it, but suspect there's not much of a real difference. You might want to try both and see if you prefer one over the other.

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Coffee Cart...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.238832950592)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+