Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Bonding your personality with your coffee!!
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Bonding your...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013, 11:24am
Subject: Re: Bonding your personality with your coffee!!

NobbyR Said:

I'd rather say it's a yardstick that shows us just how far the coffee industry has de-educated consumer taste.

Posted August 12, 2013 link

By we, I meant US, not the average consumer.
 View Profile Link to this post
Heissmeister
Heissmeister
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Epoca
Grinder: Super Jolly w/dosing chamber
Drip: Bunn
Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013, 2:36pm

I think since Starbucks I s available, that's a great,place to start!  But it might take some investment on your part if yu are going to make it on your own. Lets remember that even Starbucks coffee is a huge upgrade from instant coffee. Then if you have a coffee pot at home, go ahead and get the coffee ground at the shop. It's true that coffee expires from its prime quality in about 3 minutes after grinding, but it will still taste worlds better than nestle coffee. Take it home and brew it. I use about 1 tablespoon per 8 oz of liquid, which is a liquid cup by volume. If its too strong or weak, then Tweak it in either direction for your taste. Remember, you have to work your way up in a pleasant way to appreaciate good coffee. If you don't enjoy the journey of discovering what you like, then Why go there to begin with? I use the back of my hand to tap around the center of the basket. Then brew. Try it black first. It may be bitter. That's ok. Wait about 10 seconds after your first taste, then taste it again. Then based on that taste, determine how you want to season the coffee, if at all. I love black coffee. But if its not pleasing to my palette, I'll add a touch of cream. I don't usually add sugar because it masks the flavor of the bean too much. You could also try adding non salted butter. This will give you similar richness that you may receive from a non paper filtered brewing method, and will taste much rounder. It's important to use no salt butter because the iodine in the salt can add an unpleasant metallic flavor to the coffee.

If you get this far, you have just taken a huge step in the right direction. Get comfortable in this place, because its an excellent starting grounds (har har) for a wonderful life of coffee. I wouldn't probably have the love for coffee that I have without having had a Starbucks at school. I don't go there much anymore as I have my own place and an unlimited supply of awesome coffee. Well, lots of it at least.  I hope you figure it out, and good luck!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013, 10:52pm

DavecUK Said:

By we, I meant US, not the average consumer.

Posted August 13, 2013 link

I know, and I agree. I wasn't born as a coffee gourmet neither, there's a lot I've had to learn (and still do). But I think it's pretty sassy to market instant coffee as a high quality beverage. Unfortunately, a lot of average consumers seem to believe that.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
jallyjames
jallyjames

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 3:24am

Powerful and wealthy with natural sweetener and some creamer in a favorite coffee mug.........

http://packlineeast.com/
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Wed Aug 21, 2013, 4:28am

Instant coffee is a way to get caffeine in your system.

I worked for not quite 8 years in a hospital that did not allow anyone to brew coffee (the first 7 years). I'm serious. It was not allowed at all. They did have instant, for the patients. And looked the other way if a nurse drank it.

Trust me, we drank it. At 1 AM, half way into your 12 hour shift, caffeine was a necessity. It was nirvana.

About my last year there, something changed and you were allowed to have a coffee pot and coffee, but the organization would pay for none of it. The staff was responsible for the machine, filters, coffee, etc. It was a huge step up to have a Mr. Coffee. And the instant was forgotten.

A few months ago, I got a free sample of the same brand I used to chug down that 20+ years ago with relish. I couldn't drink but a swallow or two. Yes, I tried it, just to see. I honestly think it tasted worse, but that's probably a palate change.

If I were in that same situation again, I would probably drink it out of necessity. Thankfully, the world has changed.

I got my first cuppa when I was probably around 7. It was probably Yuban because that was what my father preferred and my mother didn't care. It was mostly milk with a splash of coffee to turn it not white. I was hooked. In high school, I carried chicory coffee (no, I didn't ever live in NO, LA) in a thermos to drink in the morning. I drank it black.

Tastes mature, like fine wine (can't say coffee, it does not get better with age)

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jmjdubai

Posted Wed Aug 21, 2013, 11:57pm

CMIN Said:

No fresh powder anywhere as it's stale in about 15min from grinding so you can imagine what store bought preground is like lol ;) , you need fresh roasted whole beans and then ground right before use. And not beans from a place like Charbucks, mean Starbucks, where they have long since been stale by the time you buy them and resemble taste of burnt logs. You need to find a roaster near/around you that could shop to you, import, or roast yourself... however if your just starting off and from your other post liking Starbucks.... your a long ways off from roasting your own on a commercial roaster to keep up with volume (no offense).

Are there no coffee shops, roasters near you??

Posted August 13, 2013 link

It would be nice if you could suggest me ideas.. I want to make a business plan asap.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 7:22am

jmjdubai Said:

It would be nice if you could suggest me ideas.. I want to make a business plan asap.

Posted August 21, 2013 link

Am I missing something here?  How did this go from your "look at nescafe cafe late" to a sudden "give me ideas I want to make a business plan asap"?

?!?!?!?!?!?

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RandomTask

Grinder: Barratza Encore
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 10:34am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Am I missing something here?  How did this go from your "look at nescafe cafe late" to a sudden "give me ideas I want to make a business plan asap"?

?!?!?!?!?!?

Len

Posted August 22, 2013 link

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the OP is missing something that is central to these forums. It's not just that the majority of the people that post here like coffee, it's that we're PASSIONATE about coffee. We love coffee, and to truly love it, we must know it. Be that exploration via roasting, espresso, drip, pour over or any of the myriad of methods between green beans and your mouth.

If you're just looking to make money by opening a cafe and freeze dried coffee crystals is a consideration, I'd probably look at franchise options if I were you. That would take a lot of the planning on the "coffee side" of things and even the horrible coffee that tastes like burnt dirt I've had in some franchises would be a better option than serving instant coffee.

If you are actually, truly, wanting to learn more about coffee, learn for your benefit not for a business. I would probably wager that most professional quality roasters didn't start roasting to make money. They probably started out to improve their own coffee, for themselves, for family, for friends and once they became good at it, they realized they could sell it. If you don't know good coffee yourself, you can't hope to sell good coffee.
witoldb

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Sanremo Treviso LX,...
Grinder: Vario,Elektra MXS,...
Roaster: DIY 250g drum roaster
Posted Sun Nov 3, 2013, 2:46pm

jmjdubai
Haven't you heard about RAW Coffee?
They are close to Mitsubishi on SZR.
PM me if you need more info.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Bonding your...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.30758690834)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+