Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
What can I find the almost perfect coffee ?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > What can I find...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
WakeMeSoftly

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 11:14am
Subject: What can I find the almost perfect coffee ?

My GOAL?   Coffee that both my wife and I will enjoy each morning.
DEFINE it?   Reasonably strong, but NOT bitter. I don't know if there's another word to describe mild flavor, but that's the best I can do. Also, no fruity flavors, nutty this or that, cinnamon etc etc. We like coffee that tastes like coffee.

After over 20 years of trying different combinations (mostly 1 of this and 1 of that) of regular store-bought coffee, we've tried Starbucks Veneto, Dunkin Donuts, a few no names at Costco, and our most recent combo of Folger's Classic with Seattle's Best #3.

I would appreciate any thoughts from you all.  Strong but even keeled flavor (if that's the way to say not bitter).

Thanks everyone.
I just found the site and am looking forward to participating. But first I gotta get java my wife and I will go far.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 1:27pm
Subject: Re: What can I find the almost perfect coffee ?

Welcome to CG!

it would help us to know your preparation method.  do you have a grinder?  if so, which one?

all those other flavors (fruit, nut, earth, etc, are descriptors used to identify the subtleties in a given coffee, so one can a) differentiate it from another bean/blend and b) know what flavor profiles they tend to enjoy.  it's much the same as when people describe the subtleties in wine or beer.  This is necessary because saying that coffee x tastes like "coffee" and that coffee y tastes like "coffee" doesn't mean they taste the same.  Going back to beer...a porter tastes like "beer" but so does an IPA and so does a Belgian Wit, yet none of those even remotely resemble each other.

bitterness (the characteristic you say you want to avoid) can be caused by many things...such as overextraction, water that's too hot, beans that are roasted too long for a few examples.  The overextraction and water too hot problems are factors you control in your preparation, unrelated to which coffee you buy.

Some of the best well known roasters that many of us here frequent are found on a list maintained on www.home-barista.com (look for their "List of our Favorite Roasters" using google or their search tool).  You're going to find that just about every one of the roasters on that list uses descriptors like honey, caramely, chocolate, different types of fruit or spice, etc.  It's done, as I said above to help one hone in on a bean/blend that sounds similar to the flavor(s) profile they like - not because the beans are actually flavored.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 1:36pm
Subject: .

CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 3:31pm

WakeMeSoftly Said:

DEFINE it?   Reasonably strong, but NOT bitter. I don't know if there's another word to describe mild flavor, but that's the best I can do. Also, no fruity flavors, nutty this or that, cinnamon etc etc. We like coffee that tastes like coffee.

After over 20 years of trying different combinations (mostly 1 of this and 1 of that) of regular store-bought coffee, we've tried Starbucks Veneto, Dunkin Donuts, a few no names at Costco, and our most recent combo of Folger's Classic with Seattle's Best #3.

I would appreciate any thoughts from you all.  Strong but even keeled flavor (if that's the way to say not bitter).

Thanks everyone.
I just found the site and am looking forward to participating. But first I gotta get java my wife and I will go far.

Posted June 28, 2013 link

How do you drink your coffee?  Cream and sugar, just cream, or no cream or sugar?  

Just a starting point needed to better answer your questions.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 4:12pm

The preparation is as important as the coffee. Really good coffee can taste really bad if it's not brewed properly. A few key points are -

The brew temperature- It needs to be brewed between 195-205 deg. F. for the best flavor. Bitter or sour can be caused by the wrong brew temp.

The grind- it should be ground appropriately for the brewing method. I won't go into the importance of fresh ground right now, you'll hear plenty about that if you stick around a bit. To keep it simple though even with a drip brewer the best grind will be different based on the speed of the brewer. A Bunn brews faster for example and thus needs a bit finer grind than other typical drip brewers.

The brew duration- coincides with the grind, a french press uses a coarser grind and steeps longer for example.

One more very important point- If you use a brewer with a glass carafe DON'T LET IT SIT ON THE BURNER! It only takes a few (I want to say a couple) minutes for a good pot of coffee to taste really bad from sitting in a pot on a burner. Transfer instantly to a thermal carafe if you want to maintain the flavor.

There's obviously a lot more to it than this but I hope it helps a bit.
Cheers and welcome to CoffeeGeek!
coffeeguydenton

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 6:09pm

WakeMeSoftly Said:

Thanks everyone.

Posted June 28, 2013 link

Am I correct in assuming that by "no fruity flavors, nutty this or that..." you mean flavored coffees?  For most of us, we use terms like "nutty" and "fruity" to describe the subtle hints of flavor in different coffees, but they are all very much coffee that tastes like coffee.  If I am correct in my assumption, then you probably need to start with finding a local roaster and getting some freshly roasted beans, preferably no more than two weeks old, and grinding them yourself with a burr grinder.  After that, it's really all about preparation as so many have stated.  Incorrect brewing technique can make the best coffee taste bitter.  Conversely, good technique can make mediocre coffee taste smooth.  So, as others have asked, the next question is "how do you make your coffee?"
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 10:36pm

I recommend Velton's Twilight Blend.  It is a medium dark roasted blend, with cocoa making a good appearance in the flavor profile.  It has complexity without being too acidic or "fruity", as you put it, and provides a good sampling of roasty flavors that you probably associate with the flavor called "coffee".  Because it is a slightly darker roast than most of the current generation of third wave coffees, you get that satisfying rich base note that is completely missing from lighter roasts.

Just one caveat:  if you've only been drinking preground stale coffee, you'd best be advised that the true, rich flavor of coffee is something you have yet to experience.  Merely duplicating the better store-bought months-old coffee is not the goal here--we're shooting for something that eclipses that experience and would spoil you for life.  So please listen to what the other posters are telling you about preparation, if you're interested in something better.

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > What can I find...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.241576910019)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+