Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Upgraded Coffee, Bulletproof Coffee, Mycotoxins and Health
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Upgraded Coffee,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
msboo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Tue Feb 11, 2014, 12:41pm
Subject: Re: Upgraded Coffee, Bulletproof Coffee, Mycotoxins and Health

Wow Buckley, great/interesting original post---enjoyed reading. I've been looking thru Dr. Russell Blaylock's books (3). Mycotoxins are also a waste product of Candida overgrowth within the human body (for those with that condition)---not a good thing! Anyway, I only took a quick look at the Bulletproof/Upgraded Coffee info and I'm certainly no expert at any of this but question the length of time they state their coffee stays fresh until opening as well as after. The other thing that bothered me were 2 coconut oil products they sell, one or the other to be added to prepared coffee along with the grass fed butter. Ingredients weren't clear on these items but they appear to be processed---the Upgraded Brain Octaine Oil or the Upgraded MCT Oil/Extra Purified. Good organic, natural coconut oil is very good for you so why not use just that?

Our niece made her own fresh coffee adding organic unfiltered coconut oil from WFs, along with KerryGold butter---she said it was very good. I've not tried it myself but soon will.

Interesting, informative book by neurosurgeon Dr. Russell Blaylock, "Excititoxins: The Taste That Kills". His other two books address cancer nutrition and nutrition overall. He also has a newsletter that stays current--I'm checking that out soon. My personal interest in toxins and nutrition is due to our 7 yr old grandson, diagnosed with ADD, OCD and anxiety---thankfully not autistic but these conditions are on the Spectrum. Our daughter sought immediate help when he suddenly lost his speech at 20 mos---that was corrected in time, other problems were also addressed, some continue but he's doing well, for which we are most thankful all due to our daughter's diligence---the strength of a mother's love! It's been a long road involving research, networking and
seeking best resources possible for help. Very important has been improving the diet, eliminating all possible
processed foods, toxins, etc. Interesting that MSG originated in Japanese military rations---US found their rations didn't taste nearly as good as Japan's. After the war big US food corps met with the Japanese to find
out more and it went from there---glutamates enhancing taste went into our foods, even baby foods and formulas.

ALSO if interested, I happened upon this YouTube video---1 hour long but I couldn't turn it off, here's the link: click herewww.youtube.com/watch?v=bEh3_JBDErw
 View Profile Link to this post
Buckley

Posted Tue Feb 11, 2014, 1:47pm

Thank you.  Will check your youtube link.  
Let me know how the coffee tastes: I buy premium roasts and I am just thankful that they turn out good when I pull my shots.  I am too cheap to take a chance on ruining a cup of coffee by adding coconut oil and butter to it but if enough people say its okay, maybe I will try it someday.

Buckley
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Tue Feb 11, 2014, 4:05pm

LOL, I'm too cheap as well -- guess that's why I've not tried it yet. Good coffee's too valuable, makes ya think!

Still I'm curious so will post when I do.
DavecUK

Posted Wed Feb 12, 2014, 10:02am

I have always disliked the "3rd wave" roasting style that seems to be on the rise in the UK, it's an overly light form of roasting (in most cases, under roasting of coffee). I also dislike overly fast roasting and do like coffee to reach temperatures higher than 200C. I have posted about it before. The snippet from a research article is one of the reasons (not just the improved taste) why I dislike it and why I prefer coffee roasted a little longer as well as a little darker.
for full article see: Click Here (books.google.co.uk)

I'd like to add that I don't think the risk is massive even so, it's a very very small risk, so reducing a very very small risk by 90%+ is significant in making it a negligible risk compared to anything else in the environment including drinking water.

P.S. I should also add that I consider green coffee dust something to be avoided and care should be taken to avoid inhalation and cross contamination of containers/hands for roasted and green products

DavecUK: aflatoxin.JPG
(Click for larger image)
AndiTM

Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue May 27, 2014, 12:16pm

Late look at this post, but just became a relevant question for me to look into.  Great information in original post especially.  Thank you!
Anything new from anyone?
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed May 28, 2014, 12:30pm

This thread begs the question: how many of you have actually tried the Bulletproof recipe or their Upgraded coffee?

I'm a firm believer in simply trying things and making up my own mind whether I like it or not and whether it's actually helping me.  

I have tried the Bulletproof recipe and it's quite rich and decadent.  Very different and I would not call it coffee.  It's like calling ice cream milk.   Or calling ketchup tomatos.

Do I like it? No. It's too heavy of a drink and makes me sick feeling, like I just drank a coffee that had two huge globs of ghee and coconut oil.  Oh wait I did. Lol

Did it keep me from being hungry?  No more than coffee does.  Did it help me lose weight.  Did it increase me energy level?  No. I actually had that "full belly" feeling most of the time, like you just want to lay down after a heavy meal. I suspect more blood was going to my stomach to suggest the all the fat that was imbibed.

Is not a terrible recipe, but it wasn't for me.

And for all the marketing hooey surrounding upgraded coffee,  I stick to the old adage,  "if it sounds to good to be true....." well, you know the rest. :)

I want to compliment Buckley for a great post. Held me captivated for a good bit :)  I appreciate folks who spend the time to bring meaning to a world full of BS.
johndrobison

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mahlkongi K30 Vario &...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Kalita Wave
Posted Sat Aug 30, 2014, 7:35am

z0mbie Said:

Did it keep me from being hungry?  No more than coffee does.  Did it help me lose weight.  Did it increase me energy level?  No. I actually had that "full belly" feeling most of the time, like you just want to lay down after a heavy meal. I suspect more blood was going to my stomach to suggest the all the fat that was imbibed.

Posted May 28, 2014 link

This is one of their claims that makes me chuckle - not because I think it's false, but because I think, "Well, duh...!". Depending on the recipe used (he recommends a pretty broad range for the amount of butter and MCT oil), I would expect all of us to be less hungry after a cup of it since we would be consuming anywhere from 400 to 800 calories in a single drink. That's a pretty decent breakfast and if you ate 800 calories worth of eggs, you'd probably not be hungry for a while either. On top of that, fat is (at least for most people) very satiating. Our metabolic engine uses fats and proteins very efficiently as fuel so requires less of it than, say, scones and granola. It's not his special drink that's delaying the onset of hunger, it's a fair dose of fat calories doing what any other fair dose of fat calories would do. Funny stuff!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Upgraded Coffee,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.227199077606)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+