Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Too much caffeine?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Too much...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 6:47am
Subject: Too much caffeine?

Article here on caffeine intake.

www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum
 View Profile Link to this post
MerleApAmber

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 9:55am
Subject: Re: Too much caffeine?

don't worry Ian,
by the time they get serious about it, the only people able to afford the dwindling coffee natural resource will be the financial elite and us poor'uns will have to deal with 3d printed analogs of pure caffeine.  THEN the Federal government will finally come up with regulations making said caffeine a controlled substance - on the same tier as hydrocodone - and the only people who will be able to use it will be those whose doctors have writ medical beneficial basis for it's ingestion.  Needless to say, the children, the ones who are factually at risk today, because caffeine is the adult go to drug of choice... will continue to be catered to by companies making other compounds which will do the same thing but not have the dread word caffeine upon their required and regulated packaging labels.  In the mean time, I project changes in law required to see all this come about will also influence the American economy in depth and ways not even hinted at by earlier drug "growth industries" of privatized incarceration facilities and related employment fields.

Ok, you outed a 'signs of the times article' in true moderator form; and left it for someone to posit a position: let the games begin!
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 4:22pm

MerleApAmber Said:

don't worry Ian,
by the time they get serious about it, the only people able to afford the dwindling coffee natural resource will be the financial elite and us poor'uns will have to deal with 3d printed analogs of pure caffeine.  THEN the Federal government will finally come up with regulations making said caffeine a controlled substance - on the same tier as hydrocodone - and the only people who will be able to use it will be those whose doctors have writ medical beneficial basis for it's ingestion.  Needless to say, the children, the ones who are factually at risk today, because caffeine is the adult go to drug of choice... will continue to be catered to by companies making other compounds which will do the same thing but not have the dread word caffeine upon their required and regulated packaging labels.  In the mean time, I project changes in law required to see all this come about will also influence the American economy in depth and ways not even hinted at by earlier drug "growth industries" of privatized incarceration facilities and related employment fields.

Ok, you outed a 'signs of the times article' in true moderator form; and left it for someone to posit a position: let the games begin!

Posted May 23, 2013 link

+1.   And if you really want to kill the economy take away the caffeine!  Let's not give the bozos in D.C. the idea, some numbnut will run with it.  

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri May 24, 2013, 4:03am

MerleApAmber Said:

Needless to say, the children, the ones who are factually at risk today, because caffeine is the adult go to drug of choice.

Posted May 23, 2013 link

Actually, caffeine metabolism is quite the same in children and adults. Italians like to serve their children Latte macchiato, for example. Whether or nor you want to serve your already overexited children stimulating drinks is another debate. :-J

The medical facts on caffeine are as follows:

If you drink high quantaties of coffee over a period of 6 to 15 days, you might develop a tolerance towards caffeine. This is because caffeine interacts with the adenosine receptors in your body, which are located in the cell membrane and up-regulated, when stimulated continuously, i.e. the cell produces more receptors than usual, so that it requires a higher dose of stimulants to activate them.

There can be a physical and psychological addiction. Stop drinking coffee in a situation like that might lead to withdrawal symptoms like headache, drowsiness, depression, lack of concentration, discontentment, lack of energy or slight nausea, which are usually only short-lived. The signs usually start about 12 to 24 hours after last consumption, are most severe for one or two days and pass completely after two to nine days. Since coffee is a legal drug and freely available, that's not really a problem. There's no danger to your health, when consumed responsibly, which does include even five cups per day. The notion that coffee is bad for your health has been outdated for quite a while, but it's a folklore that still lingers in lot's of people's heads, even some physicians.

An overdose of caffeine (more than 1 g taken at once, which equals at least five cups of drip coffee or five double shots of espresso or 10 liters of cola or about 12 cans of energy drinks) can lead to signs of excitement like tachycardia and extrasystoles, raised blood pressure, sleeplessness, agitation, headache, and diarrhea, depending on the dose. A severe intoxication might even cause a syncope. For an otherwise healthy human being, the lethal dose for caffeine is about 10 g, again taken at once.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
MerleApAmber

Posted Fri May 24, 2013, 10:16am

gah, poor kids... I mean seriously; I haven't found a robusta I like yet... even blended.  
(Mayhap I need a more formal education.... on the other hand.... ;-) )

Norbert,

I think the point is, people here in the states are seeing children dropping quantities at or about 1 gram over a short period of time, causing tachycardia, and showing up statistically significant at our immediate care and crisis care facilities. This is why news agencies are remarking the discussion of coffee, caffeine, and other caffeine delivery vehicles.  Us elder idiots who are of majority, adult, or otherwise considered mature, are reviewing the dialog with an eye toward personal best practices / informed choice, and impact upon the health of our children.  Having said that, as a child, no one told me I couldn't drink coffee when I demonstrated a taste for it - though it didn't take me long to discover how much was enough, for me. In my case it appears I didn't have parents who were functionally addicted to the point of self harm. Thus I too did not abuse the caffeine delivery device as it was available to me. Today,  a sweet and engineered flavored drink can hide a whole lotta biochemically active agents. Add remarkable marketing skills targeting people who know better; as well as children who are exposed peripherally... it becomes a quandary of social health significance.
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 8:23pm

Well said, well said.

Have you actually read the labels of some of those energy drinks? Bloody scary stuff.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 10:50pm

MerleApAmber Said:

... I think the point is, people here in the states are seeing children dropping quantities at or about 1 gram over a short period of time, causing tachycardia, and showing up statistically significant at our immediate care and crisis care facilities ...

Posted May 24, 2013 link

What on earth do they drop? A bucket full of espresso?

"Gimme an Iced Caramel Macchiato with an extra espresso shot, venti. You know what? Forget the milk, just espresso to the rim."

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
MerleApAmber

Posted Tue May 28, 2013, 1:27pm

Consumer Reports: The buzz on energy drink caffeine Click Here (www.consumerreports.org)
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Tue May 28, 2013, 10:50pm

I see. So with some energy drinks you only need about four cans to come close to 1 g of caffeine. In Germany the highest caffeine concentration of available energy drinks is 33 mg per 100 ml (= 3.38 oz). So there's not much danger there.

Flori

Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 2:50am

not really a fan of energy drinks so not sure what is the kick that it would give you. but my coffee intake is usually 1-2 cups and its doing me good.

flori,
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Too much...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.294491052628)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+