Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Baratza Preciso + Different Beans + Same Recipe = Different Brew Time?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Baratza Preciso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jz687

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 4:18pm
Subject: Baratza Preciso + Different Beans + Same Recipe = Different Brew Time?

Hey,

So, I'm new to home brewing and have a quick question for you guys.

I recently purchased a Baratza Preciso, and following Intelligentsia's brew ratio (24g:410g in just under 3min) I've found that an 11 on my Baratza gets me where I want to be (brew done in 2:56)

I just finished the beans I was using and now, when I did the exact same thing but with a new bag of beans (different roaster) my total brew time was 3:10.

Is it that normal/expected? Do different beans really affect brew time that much?

(Using a v60, fyi)

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 6:24am
Subject: Re: Baratza Preciso + Different Beans + Same Recipe = Different Brew Time?

The density of beans and grounds will change with roast and bean type, so that's not really surprising.  For espresso, I can vary between 15g for dark roasted (FC+/Vienna) to 17g for a high altitude bean light roasted, keeping temperature, volume in the the portafilter and shot time constant (by varying the grind and dose).  If I didn't vary to keep constant shot time, the times would vary between about 20 to 45 seconds with bean type.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 9:30am
Subject: Re: Baratza Preciso + Different Beans + Same Recipe = Different Brew Time?

Yeah, if you change beans and don't change your grinder, you're going to get different a extraction rate.  It would be like hitting the lottery to get the exact same extraction rate from the same grinder setting for two different beans/blends.  Yeah, I know, it seems weird that the particle size is determined not only by the spacing between the burrs, but also by what you put between them, but it is undisputable fact.  As beans age or if they're roasted (even slightly) differently, the grind needs to be adjusted if one wants to have the exact same extraction time.  Extraction is also affected by water temperature fluctuations.

btw, you didn't say what brew method you use. It sounds like pourover or drip, but those extraction times are also in the fp range.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Flori

Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 5:38pm

this is actually acceptable. if you have change beans, then most likely it would change your extraction rate. happy brewing :).

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com
jz687

Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 6:53pm

Thanks!!! Really appreciate the info!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Baratza Preciso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.207257986069)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+