Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Pruritis Ani - an undesirable effect of caffeine
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Pruritis Ani -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 4:00am
Subject: Pruritis Ani - an undesirable effect of caffeine

There have been a large number of posts asking about the effects of caffeine.   The desirable and undesirable effects have pretty well been listed here but one undesirable effect, pruritis ani, has gone unmentioned.  My purpose for mentioning it here is that this forum of heavy caffeine users is the ideal population to harbor individuals who may suffer from this very uncomfortable condition.  It is not mentioned because it is also very embarrassing.  Perhaps it is easier to say that this forum population is more likely to know someone who suffers from this condition than to talk about actually having it.
Pruritis ani is an intense, persistent and uncomfortable itch involving the opening of the anus.  Therefore, we are loath to talk about it.  It causes a type of discomfort that is incompatible with living and working in polite, ‘civilized’ surroundings.  It causes an intense desire to scratch the itch or to squirm, which only make the symptom worse and does nothing to ameliorate it.
In the vast universe of human experience, many causes have been linked to pruritis ani.  If you google this term, as many of you are likely to do, you will find a flood of websites all purporting to lend you knowledge about this condition.  The problem is that these websites suffer from ‘doctor-itis’.  We demand that our doctors know everything and every cause of a disease and we condemn them if they fail to diagnose even the rarest and most unique cause of a disease.  Therefore, these sites list all causes of pruritis ani and, as such, are useless for pertinent information.  Websites by colon and rectal surgeons generally have good prioritization of the causes while general websites like mayo clinic and Wikipedia are useless.
Of all the causes of pruritis ani, and there are many, dietary intolerances are the main cause in the civilized countries.  Although the symptoms may feel exactly like the suffer has a small colony of worms wriggling within the ‘back door opening’, this is practically unheard of among adults in this country.  Of all of the dietary intolerances that may cause this, caffeine intolerance is the most frequent.  How do I know this?  If you go to a proctologist, a colon and rectal surgeon, and describe these symptoms to him or her, the first thing they are going to do is ask you, “Do you drink coffee?  How much coffee do you drink per day?” Only if this line of questioning is negative will they explore other options.
The symptoms,  we might imagine, cause much civilized misery.  Therefore if you can reassure just one coffee-drinking sufferer that they are not infested with rectal parasites, you have given them a great reassurance.  There is no cure for this condition except to cut out caffeine consumption until the symptoms go away and then to partake at a more moderate level.    The symptoms are dependent upon the levels of caffeine in the body and may therefore take one or several days to disappear.  They may also reappear in a similarly delayed fashion. This is another reason some people must drink decaffeinated coffee or tea.  Prescription anesthetic creams may soothe the symptoms while the sufferers clear caffeine from their systems.
This post has been submitted with the desire to reassure anyone who knows someone who is suffering in this way.  It is hoped that any responders to this post avoid the temptation to descend into bathroom humor.

B
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 6:33am
Subject: Re: Pruritis Ani - an undesirable effect of caffeine

Very interesting reading, Buckley. Thank you for posting this. I've never heard it before...and thank G-d, I haven't ever experienced it.  As I began reading your post, I was thinking you were going to mention the creepy crawlies and recommend that anyone suffering from it go get checked by their doctor.  I definitely learned something here...though I must admit, I never would have suspected this would be part of what I'd learn on CG!

:)

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Flori

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 6:40pm

Well, this is something new. Have not come upon any article regarding this subject. Most likely, as what you have mentioned, persons suffering this is shy to talk about it. Thanks for the information though.

Flori
Blogger, Coffeeloversofworld.com
frozeniferno

Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 12:43am

very interesting story indeed!

Click Here (www.indiegogo.com)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Pruritis Ani -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.207489967346)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+