Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Breville Smart Grinder or Baratza Virtuoso for Drip Only?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Breville Smart...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Stangs55

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon May 13, 2013, 12:05pm
Subject: Breville Smart Grinder or Baratza Virtuoso for Drip Only?

First time poster, so thanks to the community in advance.

Struggling here....I need a grinder to replace my Kitchen Aide. I don't do espresso at home and don't have plans to start. I only want it for my Technivorm...so I don't really care how fine it'll grind, but consistency and quality of the grind is extremely important. I also have a wife who doesn't care for added steps...so simplicity and ease is important ;)

My thoughts on the two after reading up on them:
Breville: I love the idea of grinding exactly what I want. My mornings are busy...I need something quick and easy. It also seems like a great idea for my wife...set the exact amount you want, press go, pour the whole basket into the filter and start er up. This will keep the waste down and the grinds fresher.

Virtuoso: The Baratza name and quality certainly needs no explaining. Waste will go up though since you cant grind exactly how much you want every time. It lacks the tech features above...but it's a Baratza...

Most every review and critique I can find online discusses their merits as an espresso grinder....but that's not what I want. I guess what I want to know is, for a medium/fine grind, will there be any difference between these two? If no, then the Breville seems like my obvious choice...but if the Virtuoso will produce a better grind for my needs, then I'll go with it.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon May 13, 2013, 12:52pm
Subject: Re: Breville Smart Grinder or Baratza Virtuoso for Drip Only?

Both are good for coarse needs, but really if your only going for drip, you may as well save some money and get the Baratza Encore. Encore is more then enough for drip, and really any coarse needs. I think it's only 110-120 bucks or so.
Intrepid510

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 9:59am

I think you will be happy with either. However, I would go with the Virtuoso, because I think the grind is going to be better and unless you plan on keeping the Beville filled with beans at all times the timer function on it is not going to be repeatable so you are going to have to weigh/measure your beans before grinding anyway. So why not go with the grinder that might be marginally better in grind quatlity?

Less water, more grounds.
JaniceAnn

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 10:34am

I have the Breville Smart Grinder and I love it.

It does an excellent job grinding for drip coffee.  I have mine set for 7 cups and it makes just the strength I want when used with my drip coffeemaker with 10 cups of water.

It is very consistent in quantity as I check it every few days by using the coffee scoop and I always get 8 1/2 scoops.  The grind is very consistent too.  I use the grinds container but it does come with two different size portafilter holders as well.

I clean it once or twice a week which it easily done with the removable hopper which locks to hold the beans in and a removable top burr.

It wastes almost no coffee as I get less than 1/4 spoonful from burrs and chute after a week's grinding.

I have had no problems with jamming and it is fairly quiet.  At least it doesn't wake my husband up when I am making the coffee.

Seattle Coffee Gear has a video comparing the Smart Grinder with, I think, the Encore.  You might want to watch it to get a better idea of which grinder would be best for you.

Hope this helps!
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 11:45am

JaniceAnn Said:

I have the Breville Smart Grinder and I love it.

It does an excellent job grinding for drip coffee.  I have mine set for 7 cups and it makes just the strength I want when used with my drip coffeemaker with 10 cups of water.

Hope this helps!

Posted May 15, 2013 link

I have the Breville Smart Grinder.  I set mine for 5 cups for a single 11 oz. serving of coffee.  Anything less than that and I feel the cup is too weak.  As an aside, I use a Clever (however am getting a Technivorm, so the ratios will likely change as I will be making a full insulated carafe every day).

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JaniceAnn

Posted Thu May 16, 2013, 4:20am

Wow, you like much stronger coffee than my husband does!

I don't know if my drip machine extracts more coffee or if it is the beans or the grind but I tried to grind at the one cup setting for each cup of water and my husband said it was too strong for him.  At the current setting it is just a little weak for my taste but I make it to suit him and just add a little less milk to mine.

It is a really nice grinder for the money.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu May 16, 2013, 8:29am

JaniceAnn Said:

Wow, you like much stronger coffee than my husband does!

I don't know if my drip machine extracts more coffee or if it is the beans or the grind but I tried to grind at the one cup setting for each cup of water and my husband said it was too strong for him.  At the current setting it is just a little weak for my taste but I make it to suit him and just add a little less milk to mine.

It is a really nice grinder for the money.

Posted May 16, 2013 link

I guess I overdose with the coffee grinds.  

The only issue I have had with the grinder is when attempting to grind french roast (the beans have a habit of "sticking" in bean holder and not dropping into grinder"; or when attempting to grind for espresso and using light roasted beans (the grinder will jam).

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JaniceAnn

Posted Thu May 16, 2013, 9:33am

I had ordered the Smart Grinder from QVC and it was taking a very long time to ship so they told me to just reorder and they would cancel the first order.

Of course, as soon as I did the reorder the first order shipped, so I got two.

The first one did give me a few jamming problems.  I boxed it back up and tried the second grinder.  It worked fine and has, knock on wood, never jammed at all.

I returned the first one as I was only going to keep one, but I am glad it gave me problems right away so I knew that was the one to return.

I don't know what the problem was.  I thought it might have been a flaw in the burrs but that is just a guess.

I do clean the grinder a couple of times a week but I don't know if that is helping to prevent jamming or not.
SmkSignals

Posted Sat May 18, 2013, 9:46pm

Had bought the Breville Smart Grinder about 60 days ago and had a jamming problem also. I home roast my own coffee and it jammed with some lighter roast beans. I took the hopper off and took out the upper burr and got the bean dis-lodged. Put it all back together and it had a horrible internal noise, almost like some gears were stripped. Needles to say I returned it and am shopping for a better grinder. Its a real shame because I really loved this grinder. But I can't be spending 2 bills on grinder and have this problem happen again, especially out of warranty.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Breville Smart...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.291075944901)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+