Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
Coffee - How much do you spend a day/week/month/year?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > Coffee - How...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
greenbeanmachine

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 9:44pm
Subject: Re: Coffee - How much do you spend a day/week/month/year?

About $80 a week.
 View Profile Link to this post
TheBigDripper
TheBigDripper
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bialetti 6-cup moka pot
Grinder: Vintage Zassenhaus
Drip: Too many too list
Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 6:16pm

I go through about a half-pound whole bean a week, two-three cups a day, so probably $30 a month.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 1:38pm

Ignoring the equipment costs (I could be happy with just a grinder and a couple of aeropresses), I roast 1lb of coffee a week, at $6-7 a lb.  Often I run out of time to do this, and so I buy coffee at $14-16 for 12oz.  So not more than $45 a month.
espressobecky
espressobecky

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-3
Drip: French Press, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 7:41am

Probably around $200-300/month between my husband and I.  Not including equipment and/or repairs.

...and on that note, I need a coffee.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 10:15am

Man I dont know how some spend a couple hundred a month just on beans alone, what are you drinking a pound a day?!? Lol :p
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 1:14pm

I've wondered the same thing. Maybe they're brewing for an extended family?

I spend more on vegetables than coffee.
Luscombe
Luscombe

Espresso: LS Vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: K30, Zass Hand grinder
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: TV, Pour Over, Aero Press
Roaster: Drum Roaster-Gas Grill,SCTO,...
Posted Wed Jun 5, 2013, 7:18am

This is a great question that will give different results based upon where we are in our journey.

I currently roast and consume about 1/2# per week, 2-3 cups or espressos per day. I do gift fresh roasted coffee to friends and family. I order green beans about every two-three months, usually about $100 an order. So my consumable costs would be about $35-$40/ month. I hardly ever order roasted beans, I may explore this area in the future. I drink my coffee black so no other consumable costs. I seldom purchase coffee from retailers except for a special occasion, special barista.

Equipment costs on the other hand are different and really justify some amortization for a fair comparison.
Total estimated cost of roaster set up, a really nice grinder and DB Espresso Machine is about $4,000. For me, this is a 10 year amortization,  say $40/ month.  So in total, about $80-$100/ month to explore the wonderful world of coffee. At $100/month, this allows me to purchase an occasional brewing device every year or so and have picked up several over the years.

Seems like a lot at first but when I compare that to my technology costs per month, I want to scream. Telephone, cable and internet are over three times my coffee expenses/ budget.

The biggest hurdle for me to overcome was the first espresso machine and grinder. Can I justify the costs as the only coffee drinker in the home? Seemed a bit indulgent until I thought about the technology expenses.  The second biggest hurdle was the second machine and grinder. I bought the first setup, mazzo off CL and the HX unit from a member of this BB. Learned a lot about what I would want in a second machine over several years and then planned and bought a second grinder from a BB member and a new DB machine. It is not the "Best", but it beyond my capabilities and allows me to explore coffee tastes, techniques, etc. At this time, I don't plan on upgrading either unit. The first set up was sold to another BB member looking to get started in espresso.

My journey started a long time ago and I progressed slowly and deliberately through each stage of roasting and brewing. It was always done on a frugal budget and spread out over a few years. The only really significant purchases were the grinders and espresso machines. I followed the advice of others smarter than me and did not buy cheap/buy twice. Rather, the purchases were well planned over time and when I upgraded was able to recover about 75% of my prior costs via a resale. This BB has been a big help along the way.

As an example, started home roasting on an air popper over 15 years ago. Equipment start up costs were minimal, bought everything at the Goodwill, thrift stores and garage sales. If I couldn't find equipment cheap I made it. I migrated through most every form of roasting except commercial home roasters. I settled on a drum roaster in my converted gas grill. The grill is a 25 year old Weber and the drum is an RK Stainless Steel. I fabricated the first drum out of brass and stainless container parts. I did a PIF with that unit to a young man just starting out.

This is one fantastic hobby.
coffeeguydenton

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 6:46am

I think it's close to 100/mth for me.  60 for beans from my favorite local roaster, plus equipment.  I've spent about 500 in the last year, and that seems like a reasonable amount to maintain.  I have about 500 in stuff on my wish list for the next year.
Flori

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 7:35pm

its about 80-100usd for me. love my coffee and need it to start my day :)

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > Coffee - How...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.230247020721)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+