Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: General Discussion
In Praise of Fines (AeroPress Inverted)
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > General > In Praise of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
CheapBastid

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Infinity - talking myself...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: None
Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 10:00am
Subject: In Praise of Fines (AeroPress Inverted)

I've settled into a nice habit of making an ‘AeroLatte’ 4-5 times a week and have done gentle experimentation over the past few months with my AeroPress, Capresso Infinity, and my Utilitea Variable Temperature Kettle. The control and adjustability of the Inverted method was (and continues to be) very appealing, so that’s how I’ve been brewing.   I see complaints about the ‘difficulties/mess/danger/complexities’ of the Inverted Method, but I have yet to experience any of them.  

Initially I ground a few steps away from the finest setting on the Infinity, but I quickly found that finest was best for my strength preferences.  Folks seem to feel it’s too hard to press, but as I press into my steel Sipp I can do it slowly and with most of my body weight.  This increased pressure seems to also add to the body of the coffee.

I initially tried brewing around 180º.  When I started I figured my old preference for a more ‘chocolatey’ vs. ‘bright’ cup would lean me in a cooler direction.  Over time I slowly found that I liked the complexities of a hotter brew, so I’m closer to 195º now.

Being too lazy to measure quantities exactly every time, I set up initial measurements and saw how the beans rested in the grinder at that weight, and how the water sat in the AeroPress.  Since then I’ve been using my containers as the ‘measure’ - Pull plunger to the top of the circle on the 4, and fill the grinder with beans so they 'eclipse' the clear plastic inverted funnel of the hopper.  This has given me a bit of variability from day to day and week to week, which is a mix of gently frustrating and sorta fun.

One of the other markers of my morning coffee preparation ritual is a tendency towards efficiency.  I enjoy finding ways to streamline the process and integrate steps to reduce wasted effort and time.  Well, this morning I decided to alter my regimen to correct a ‘flaw’ that rubs against my cheap heart.  

I’m slightly saddened to clean out the Infinity and lose that last half gram or so of coffee that clings to the top burr and pools around the hopper.  My prior path was to save grinding for the last step so that it would be ‘freshest’ and dump it into the AeroPress and get water on it right away.  I’d clean out the grinder as the coffee would steep.

This morning I ground, dumped, and then brushed the clinging fines from the top burr through the funnel and into the AeroPress, then brushed the clumped hopper tailings into the grind cup with the rest of the coffee for a minute or so, getting as much in there as possible before dumping the contents into the AeroPress. The Richness and Chocolatey notes are wonderful in this morning’s cup!

So, I’m thinking that perhaps the regimented push towards a more even grind may have reduced some of the interesting qualities of the brewed cup.  I’m thinking it might be interesting to have a sort of ‘blend’ of extractions in the brewer, with the majority being of one ‘grind size’ strength, and a tiny component of the brew being more extracted via the fines.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 11:30am
Subject: Re: In Praise of Fines (AeroPress Inverted)

I only use an inverted Aeropress. I grind to automatic drip on my commercial bulk machine at work. I use the scoop that came with the Aeropress to measure the unground beans then press a full press into a 16 oz mug and add water to the top. This works for me, quick and easy and good. YMMV

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 6:44am

The logic behind uniform grind is that the fines over-extract and the coarse components under-extract, changing the character of the brew and taking it out of your control.  This is most apparent in a blade-type (whirled-bird) grinder.  

Nevertheless, fines can do something wonderful for the cup.

I have the old Coava metal filter for my Aeropress, the one with the 300 micron holes.  Using the inverted method, I get a bit of sludge at the bottom of the cup.  Re-filtering this coffee through an Aeropress paper filter, then drying and weighing it I found that this sludge was only a tiny percentage of the grind, so no big deal.  But a component of the sludge, which I call 'Micro-Mud' remains suspended in the coffee and gives it a 'heavier' mouth-feel which, to me, is an improvement.  There might also be changes in flavour which I don't pick up.

So, for me, a small amount of fines that go through the brewing process ...but... escape into the cup, are an improvement.

Jerry
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon May 13, 2013, 11:45am

In praise of "Micro-Mud". The presence of those tiny suspended particles is one of the reasons I like moka pot coffee. But I'm not sure how much that has to do with the amount of fines in the grind.

CheapBastid Said:

I press into my steel Sipp I can do it slowly and with most of my body weight.

Posted May 9, 2013 link

It would be cool if the Aeropress box had a picture of someone leaning on the plunger with most of their body weight instead of a palm gently pressing down.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon May 13, 2013, 12:10pm

JKalpin Said:

...I get a bit of sludge at the bottom of the cup.  Re-filtering this coffee through an Aeropress paper filter, then drying and weighing it I found that this sludge was only a tiny percentage of the grind...

Posted May 11, 2013 link

I don't see how it would measure to anything other than a tiny percentage of the initial dose weight...even if it seemed caked onto the filter.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon May 13, 2013, 1:38pm

emradguy Said:

I don't see how it would measure to anything other than a tiny percentage of the initial dose weight...even if it seemed caked onto the filter.

Posted May 13, 2013 link

I don't know what JKalpin got but when I did this exercise I filtered about 0.3g out of an original 18.7g dose. That's only about 1.5% of the dose but closer to 8% of the coffee in the cup. I probably filtered some of the microfines in the process but a lot of that stuff is really tiny. I recently ran some moka coffee through a 0.7 micron filter yet still had cloudy liquid. I had to use a finer syringe filter to obtain clarity in the coffee.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > General > In Praise of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.262371778488)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+